New Master System Mod: Use Start as Pause, IGR and much more

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by SukkoPera, Aug 2, 2016.

1. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

When I upload the sketch to arduino nano, I get these warnings:
    C:\Users\eu\Desktop\SMSPlusPlus-master\SMSPlusPlus-master\SMSPlusPlus\SMSPlusPlus.ino:131:2: warning: #warning "Compiling for Arduino Nano" [-Wcpp]

#warning "Compiling for Arduino Nano"

^

C:\Users\eu\Desktop\SMSPlusPlus-master\SMSPlusPlus-master\SMSPlusPlus\SMSPlusPlus.ino:224:3: warning: #warning "Serial debugging disabled" [-Wcpp]

#warning "Serial debugging disabled"

^

C:\Users\eu\Desktop\SMSPlusPlus-master\SMSPlusPlus-master\SMSPlusPlus\SMSPlusPlus.ino:640:3: warning: #warning "RESET button handling disabled" [-Wcpp]

#warning "RESET button handling disabled"

2. SukkoPera

SukkoPera MegaDrive++/SMS++/NES++ Mastermind

You can safely ignore those messages.

3. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

Thank you. It works, but I'm having 2 problems.
    1. The console button acts a reset button and a50/60 switch. How can i make it to be a pause button + 50/60 switch? The button is connected to PAUSE IN (A6) with 1k pull up resistor.
    2. The gamegear conversion of Tails Adventure doesn't work. The game was made to use a megadrive controller by default. Can this be fixed? The d-pad seems to be working, the rest of the buttons don't work. I've tried to start the game with the controller unconnected but no change.

I removed the filters so i didn't cut the traces.
    Aso i left unconnected Controller Type Out (D5).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  4. SukkoPera

Yes, the idea is that now that you can pause from your controller, there's no longer much point in having a pause button on the console, a reset button is (slightly) more useful.

Anyway you can turn this feature off easily, there's a setting for it, see here.

I didn't know there were SMS games that support MD controllers out-of-the-box! The fix can (probably) be done, but I'd have to look into it, as I haven't worked on SMS++ in like 3 years. I was a bit deceived by the lukewarm response. I felt many more people were eager to get something like this. I'll have to judge if it is worth putting time into this, depending on how many games suffer from this problem and how many people use it.

I have opened an issue on the GitHub page to track this anyway.

5. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I'm sorry, but i'm a complete noob when it comes to programming. What should I do with that line?
    Should I add a // in front of it? something like this: // #define RESET_ON_PAUSE

When updating the arduino, do I simply connect the usb cable? the console should be powered off?

To be honest I wanted to try this for a long time. I ordered a arduino and waited 3 months for it. it didn't arrived. Ordered another one and waited another 3 months. Now it's here. This was the first time when i used an arduino. It wasn't too complicated. And the install it's simple. I guess people don't use it because there are many wires. But this is must for any sms along with the rgb mod.

I hope you will have the time and interest to solve the issue.
    Here's a link with the controller patch by BcnAbel76 (in the middle of the page):
    http://www.smspower.org/forums/1620...tart=100&sid=9cac1a941a21c59b225c0c01305b0d1a

Automatic Pad Selection:
    Init game, booting before SEGA logo if Megadrive Pad is plugged then you hear a BEEP, it confirms you Megadrive Pad Mode is selected.
    START is Megadrive "START" button.

Else Master System Pad Mode is selected.
    START is "PAUSE" button
    There are many conversions made this way.

EDIT: i've added // in front of that line and now the button is pause. But please confirm if that's the right way to do it.

6. SukkoPera

Yes, either put // in front of it or delete the line altogether.

Yes, simply connect the USB cable while the console is off. It would be better if you put a Schottky diode on the 5V line (cathode towards Arduino) but I guess a simple update won't hurt.

7. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

It works. Thank you. I'll keep an eye on the github since the forums seem to close. Maybe in the future you'll fix that incompatibility.

EDIT: About tails adventure. If i leave the console on for a while it kind of works. The dpad and B button are working but A,C and start act as pause.

8. SukkoPera

Well, the real problem is that I would have no way of testing that modification, since I don't have any of those games, nor do I own an Everdrive (or whatever it's called for the SMS).

Something I'd rather spend some time on is making a PCB for this mod. I didn't have the skills to do it 3 years ago, but I've learned to do that in the meantime. That would make the mod much easier: desolder chip, solder socket, plug board, plug chip in board (and maybe solder 1-2 wires here and there). I'll think about it when I finish my current projects (Amiga stuff).

Anyway yes, github is the place to keep an eye on and to open tickets for whoever is facing issues.

EDIT: Yes, the D-pad will work while the buttons will be misdetected, that's because of how the controller works.

9. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I can do the testing. About the pcb I was thinking about removing the filters, add pins and the pcb will fit on those pins.
    I also have a homemade flash cart and i can test games up to 512k.

10. SukkoPera

Do you know if there's a free cart PCB around?

11. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

The cheapest and easy way is to make one from an after burner cart. Up to 512k rom.
    But there are a few pcbs:
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MdeGG4C7
    and i think that's the pic code:
    http://www.smspower.org/forums/14398-BuildingAMasterSystemFlashCartFromScratchWithCustomBuiltMapper
    http://www.smspower.org/forums/15002-MakingASegaMapperClone

http://www.smspower.org/forums/13203-GGSMSFlashCartridgeSchematicAndCPLDPofFile
    scroll down and you will find the pcb by ArcadeTV. it supports 512k
    A little down you'll see the red pcb by ichigobankai from france. It supports 1 mega rom. he sells a pcb for about 6-7 euro. the pcb come with the cpld programmed and soldered. You can contact him here, but make sure to mention you want a 1mega mapper:
    http://www.mastersystem-france.com/t5178-nouveau-pcb-sms

And another one for sale from USA:
    https://www.mortoffgames.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=957

Last edited: May 30, 2019