NES RGB modded system. Now dead?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mikeyy00, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Mikeyy00

Mikeyy00 Member

Hi all,

Have a front loader NES. Was RGB modded by myself. Been working fine for months.

Recently found a post about how to reduce the hum coming from the system, which invloved lifting one pin of each resistor off CPU legs 1 and 2, and putting them to the ground on the RGB board.. Simple enough. Essentially just moving it off the motherboard ground to the RGB ground. Something about less interference.

Anyways. Did that, and now system is dead. No power light no nothing. Adaptor is good, tested with another to be sure. Voltage regulator inside heats up after being "on" for a few minutes so it seems like that's good. Measuring voltage is giving me roughly 4.5-4.7V out. No bulging caps, no obvious mobo damage. Tried putting resistors back to original pins, but same thing. Tested the power LED too, and it's all good. No light, no picture. You can hear a slight pop over the speakers when you try turning it on. So something must be getting power?

Any suggestions? Trying to avoid buying a replacement NES, since moving the mods over is fricken tedious.. also it looks like no one is selling a bare board, so I'd have to get an entire system..

Thanks for any help!

2. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Check the connector for the switch assembly. Maybe it's not quite in right? Also check the reset switch, if it's stuck on, it would hold the system in reset and nothing works.

Also get magnifying glass and recheck all the connection between NES board and the RGB board, maybe something got jostled loose or a pin bent wrong?

3. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

What happens if you disable the nesrgb board ?

4. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I believe it just reverts to the default NES outputs. So the NESRGB outputs won't work but the native RF and Composite outputs will. It's worth a shot.

5. Mikeyy00

Mikeyy00 Member

Fuck, forgot I posted this.. turned out to be a dead PPU. Replacing it brought it back to life.