NES RGB board-10/19 release, 90.00 AU

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by brainpann, Oct 10, 2013.

1. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

I dont think it will given the size of the board and the position of the toploader ppu. It should be pretty easy to rotate it and add a socket and wires.

2. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I'll get one for my toploader soon.

3. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

I have two early nesrgb kits for testing. I already sent Tim measurements to get an adapter made that should allow it to fit in the nes 2 and av famicom. I've played a huge collection of retail and homebrew games that do all sorts of graphical tricks, so far the only issue I found was he forgot to include the grayscale mode. Adding grayscale mode is very doable and will be happening. Aside from the grayscale issue this kit runs everything 100% like an unmodified system with zero video issues whatsoever.

Personally I hope he doesn't release it until the adapters are made and grayscale mode is included. Then this will really be a perfect little upgrade package.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

Cool, thanks for the info.

5. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

Sounds interesting. Since I'm US and have no RGB a JROK would be needed too for this. My set does have component.

6. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

How common are games that require Grayscale mode ?

7. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Grayscale might be used for certain special effects or when pausing the game in various games. It's not a big deal since it sounds like it will be supported. Anyway, this is great news. Lets butchering of PlayChoice boards this way. And better video quality by *adding* something rather than taking something away. Even the S-Video is beneficial for those that have that but no RGB.

The only thing is that for me on my Sony PVM, Composite Video actually looks very good. Though I am tempted to get RGB. But this definitely would help for those who might be using Digital Displays which butcher Composite Video.

8. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

The horrible atrocious dot crawl of the NES is completely fixed with S-video, not need to have RGB to net huge benefits. I got a RGB modded famicom almost only because I could not stand the NES dot crawl and I use it in S-video, not even RGB.
    PC-engine has the same horrible dot crawl, but of course this one is much easier to mod :p
    Really excited about the new board, I will wait till grayscale mode is fixed but will buy one for sure.

9. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

More than I expected actually. Turns out final fantasy 3 uses grayscale mode when you get attacked:

First half of the video is a composite capture from an unmodified system and second half is s-video from the nesrgb without the grayscale mode. Normally in ff3 when you get attacked the screen flashes at 60 fps between colour and grayscale, on youtube it's solid grayscale because youtube is only 30 fps. Since my nesrgb kit is missing grayscale mode there's no flashing in ff3 currently. It's possible to mail your kit back to Viletim to get him to update it once he's made the update. Adding the ability to update the nesrgb yourself would have increased the cost of the kit and it also would have increased the size of the kit pcb which is why he didn't include it. I'm doing all this testing so the nesrgb will have all the updates it needs for release time that way people won't have to ship their kits back and forth.

I'm also taking requests for testing if people have any. I've tested the kit on the nes 2, av famicom, sharp twin famicom and gpm-02 original famicom (top loaders ftw). I have tested it with both a famicom n8 and a nes powerpak, I've tried games with four screen mirroring, homebrews, romhacks, conversions (mmc5), fds games and lots of retail games. Some of the games I tried were requests. If people want me to test a certain game that runs on either the famicom n8 or the nes powerpak I will test it as long as I don't have to play through hours of a terrible game to get to a certain spot that people want me to test (unless you can provide me the savegame file to load on your favourite flash device).

Another exciting use for this kit is the idea of dropping it into a playchoice 10. Since you can select the rgb pallette with this kit you can get the perfect playchoice experience with it. Due to the nature of how the nesrgb works it will NOT work with a rgb ppu chip and I highly recommend that you don't attempt to try running a rgb chip in the nesrgb kit. The nesrgb gets most of the digital signals from the ext pins of the composite ppu chip when you set a hardware mode of the composite ppu. On the composite ppu chip the ext pins are grounded (tied low) by default because they're normally unused. On the rgb ppu chip the ext pins output rgb by default, I really doubt the rgb chip includes the mode that outputs digital video signals. Potentially using a rgb ppu in the nesrgb kit won't break the rare rgb chip but just for the sake of safety I don't think it's smart to try doing that.

This kit completely solves the need to hunt a rare rgb ppu chip. This kit solves all video issues. Thanks to having a selectable pallette this kit is good for either your home nes / famicom and it should be good for your arcade playchoice system when bypassing the on board video amp of the playchoice pcb. Bypassing the playchoice video amp should make the output regular instead of inverted. It is possible to run the kit rgb output through the playchoice amp but you may have to tap the rgb at the encoder inputs. The irony of this is that to get the kit running on your playchoice it's more "destructive" than removing the rgb ppu from the socket on the playchoice board because a little soldering and rewiring will be required with the kit. "Lets butchering of PlayChoice boards this way" is untrue, but this kit is a nice upgrade for the playchoice and I'd love to see every playchoice get one. I'm fine with keeping hardware as stock and original as possible but if there's a way to improve on it I don't see the harm in doing a little rewiring, trace cutting and soldering. Pretty much any mod is reversible with patience.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  10. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

I don't think that adding a JTAG port would increase the cost that much... or size...
    personally I'm gonna wait a little before I order mine, because of the no-end-user upgrade ability ;)

11. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

There is jtag actually, he just said setting up a jtag system would probably cost more than shipping it back and forth. Really though once grayscale mode is included I don't think there will be any issues or needs to update it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Altera USB blasters are like £12 on ebay, also a bunch of people already have them for upgrading everdrives.

13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Yeh I'm not buying the argument that it's too expensive and would like to hear the original thoughts verbatim. An added cost is one thing but being too expensive? This isn't a FPGA addition.

14. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

Well that's what he told me. I've never played around with jtag. Either way I'm certain once grayscale mode is added there will be no need to update it unless you want to add custom pallettes.

15. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

Saying it's cheaper to ship it back for firmware updates? Bullshit. As was said by Bad_Ad84 Altera USB Blasters are cheap and work with just about any device with a Jtag port. The software for firmware updates is easy enough to use too.

I call bullshit on this since it seems like the creator just wants people to ship it back so he can charge more money to update it rather than making the firmware publicly available...

16. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

You can also build your own cable and flash JTAG over LPT, only costs a dollar or two for the right header

17. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

let's not start the name calling thingie before we get official word about this... maybe all it's needed is pins or something

18. archcosmo

archcosmo Active Member

19. omp

omp Familiar Face

Whoa whoa guys! Tim is an outstandingly honest guy, having worked on another (very minor) project. He is probably refering Australia post in shipping it back.

20. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Fuckin' bought!!!