NES Composite Failing, Any Ideas? (Video)

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by spshortman, Aug 7, 2016.

1. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Before doing every little thing people can think of you should replace the caps. Caps are the most likely cause of your troubles. If you have problems after replacing them, only then should you move onto other things. So don't order other parts just yet. You may not need them.

The 7805 should be fine. The link you provided looks like the standard part and you could replace the one in there now with it, but I wouldn't recommend it until you've replaced the caps and seen what effect that has. While the voltage regulator could be a problem I wouldn't swap the caps and it out at the same time unless you were comfortable and experienced doing so.

2. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

thanks for the replies. ill focus on the caps first. i saw in a youtube video there's one area on the board that has something like 5 caps in a small space all next to each other, not looking forward to that part of the repair! im sure everyone here recommends replacing all caps right? not just 1 thats obviously busted while the others still look fine type thing

3. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rapidly Rising Member

they are correct, you should do the caps first, besides, you can test the 7805 with a voltmeter, if its outputting 5 volts, its most likely fine...

4. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

so round 1 went poorly so far. im having trouble getting the old solder to suck up into my solder wick. my iron is very hot (melts lead solder instantly) and i have plenty of new tips, but so far 1 cap down i cant get all the old solder to get cleaned out of the hole. the weird thing is with my exact same set up i was able to do one cap flawlessly on a broken genesis board like the solder had a lower melt temp or something.

my only idea is to buy some fresh solder wick ( mine is a couple years old) and some rosin flux to try to loosen up this old nes solder. i wont buy anything new that's expensive (solder sucker thing) and if my next round i cant get this damn solder to cooperate im just going to buy a new nes.

maybe you guys have some tips? maybe melt some fresh lead solder onto the point and then suck it up using the wick? its weird that the genesis was so damn easy and the nes is so far really stubborn. lets me know bruhs

5. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Use flux as it will help. The nes has a lot of ground plane which will disperse heat almost immediately when soldering.

6. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

good call takeshi, already ordered both from ebay. the power board looks like its gonna be a challenge!

7. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Yes it is almost impossible to do a good cap removing job without flux. Even then cleaning the holes can be a pain.

8. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

yeah and the nes has a lot of solder on the top of the board on the cap side, i think the genesis is mostly only on the bottom of the board. i hope round 2 goes better. the flux i bought is a no clean rosin flux which ive used in the past and is good, but its maybe not a potent as some kingbo flux or the rosin flux with more chemicals in it. wish me luck bros

9. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I use rosin flux here, the one I purchased is quite thick and I diluted it a bit in methyl alcohol so I could use it in a syringe.

10. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

thanks for your help guys. looks like with my current set up i wont be able to recap this nes. i have a 937d+ iron you find all over ebay for 30-50 bucks and i figured it would be good enough for the job but its acting like its not hot enough to melt the solder on the top of the board and completely clean the hole. the flux and fresh wick only made a slight difference and i think i pop corned the nes motherboard a little bit holding my iron in one spot too long.

the only detailed youtube video i found had a guy recapping his nes with a solder sucker, his iron was not capable either. im curious what kind of set ups you guys have to be able to clean the solder points completely. it was basically literally impossible for me with my gear, and buying a 100 dollar iron or whatever isnt an option when a new nes is way cheaper.

thanks for your help guys, ebay here i come!

11. takeshi385

I use an aoyue desolering station, it work great. When I installed my hidef nes I had to set it to 480c or else it just would remove all the solder on the nes.

12. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

takeshi when you put your solder wick and iron on the point it sucked up all the solder in the hole completely? even the solder on the top of the board? it did so easily or you had to fight with it? its possible even though my iron isn't a turd its just not hot enough for the nes motherboard. unfortunately i wont be buying a new iron just for this repair considering a new nes is 50 bucks on ebay, but i wish i could have repaired this myself but i don't think my tools are good enough

edit- have all you guys helping me here actually done this repair? not other repairs but specifically remove all the capacitors on the nes motherboard with an iron and solder wick?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  13. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

20161010_122017.jpg

if your willing to buy an unattractive yellow nes that needs a new pin connector they're still pretty cheap on ebay. i got a new nes for 40 total and transplanted the good motherboard into my old systems pretty shell with new pin connector. feels good to be back in action with my everdrive n8.

when this one eventually has cap problems also i will probably have to invest in one of those solder sucker things. i have a very nice genesis model 1 non tmss that has somewhat low audio level that probably needs new caps too. i think with an iron and wick you need a really hot pro status iron and also some low melt lead solder to melt onto the points to then suck up with the wick. it would have cost much more then 40 dollars to fix my nes but next time ill probably buy the tools needed. thanks for your help anyways bros!

14. takeshi385

To answer your question I have never had luck with wick on an nes. I would end up having to go over a point again and again with wick that it would destroy the trace. Everything became super easy when I took the plunge and bought a desolering station.