NES classic edition controller mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by awesomeNES, Nov 14, 2016.

1. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

could it be a current issue? How much does the adapter draw?

2. kikujade

kikujade Member

Can these Nes Mini controller boards be adapted to be used on a regular NES? What would it take to repurpose a regular NES controller cable on it? has anyone tried it?

3. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Probably could use it if you wanted to tap into the traces, but why? It's not gonna work if you were to just plug it into an old NES because it's completely different technology lol.

4. kikujade

kikujade Member

Well, that sucks. I though this was an opportunity to buy brand new, high quality nes controllers for $10 a piece. I guess I will continue scavenging for parts then.

5. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

what you could do is put the old PCB into the new shell. But these controllers are impossible to find for the time being anyway, unless you want to pay like $70 for one.

6. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Hugh Jazzembler Fan

Update!

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/extenmote/index_en.php

Guess I'll have to update mine!!

awesomeNES likes this.
  7. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

I'm working on a replacement pcb that uses Raphnet's code along with the shift register so it'll be universal as an NES and NES mini controller pcb and has the home button coded in so it's activated by triple pressing the Start Button.

TriState294 and awesomeNES like this.
  8. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

I like the idea of pressing start 3 times, however the home button also triggers the save state. You'll just have to trigger it a little bit before you know you're gonna die lol. But, I guess I could push start 3 times pretty damn quick if I had to. ...but it's not like I need save states anyway ;)

9. AndehX

AndehX You got boost power!

Do Nintendo ever plan to mass produce these controllers? Or even the NES mini itself? They'd make a fortune.

10. borti4938

borti4938 Spirited Member

I've modified my NES Classic Mini controller to do the same - simulating the HOME button as a combination of Start+Select. All you need is an OR-Gate (either a 'regular 74-IC', e.g. the 74HC32 or a single gate version, e.g. 74AHC1g32). I've combined Start + Select with the OR Gate and connected to output to the lifted pin 8 of the main IC on the controller (this is normally where the HOME button is connected to in a Wii Classic Controller)

[​IMG]

Of course I also have connected unused input pins to Vcc or GND after I took this picture.

Now my NES Classic Mini goes back into the main menu by pressing Start+Select at the same time :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    awesomeNES, Bearking, DS2 and 3 others like this.
  11. LET

LET Newly Registered

12. borti4938

borti4938 Spirited Member

100% sure :)
    All buttons have negative logic, i.e. '1' = unpressed and '0' = pressed. A OR gate outputs a '0' if both inputs are '0', too.

13. LET

LET Newly Registered

of course.
    Did not known there be negative logic at this Buttons.
    Thanks.