NES classic edition controller mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by awesomeNES, Nov 14, 2016.

1. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

I've been hearing nothing but complaints about the short controller cable on the NES classic, so when I received mine the first thing I did was extend the cord on the controller.
    There's only four wires running through the cable, so a USB cable is a perfect replacement. I used a 10 foot Amazon basics cable. It's a "premium" shielded cable so it's a bit thicker but it still fit just fine. The Nintendo connector is very high quality and held together with two tri-wing screws which make taking it apart and re-assembly very easy.
    Check it out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

After I heard that the cables were super short, I assumed Nintendo had gone "full cheap out" and thus assumed that they had molded plugs. Seems strange to use such high quality disassemblable connectors on such a short cheap cable.

That being said, nice work. I'm sure your pictures will inspire others to do the same. This is so much better than buying a third party controller, extension cables, or a long ass HDMI cable and putting the console in your lap.

rso and awesomeNES like this.
  3. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Yeah I'm not into those 'in-line' extension cables, and plus with the demand for these, scalpers are now selling the extensions too! This cost me nothing but a $5 USB cable and it makes the controller really look like the original.

4. Skullflower McGee

Skullflower McGee Member

Or, if you are me and bad with electronics, you can just get a long HDMI cable :p

Congrats on actually getting one. I feel like I won't be able to pick one up until next year.

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

I love how salty many have been over that. However it seems no one has bothered to look past Amazon for an extension.

6. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Hey buddy!! <3. I was in the chat the other day and I was thinking "where the hell is Hex1gon??!" --good to hear from you!!

Anyway, yeah I've noticed crappy generic extensions out there for like $8-$12, but people want the NYKO or whatever the hell brand Nintendo is licensing. I said F that! And came up with this lol

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Haha I'm still around... surprisingly.

Well, officially licensed stuff by 3rd party doesn't = great either. Just look at licensed powerwave or skullcandy junk.

It's quite comical what the reception of this has been, supply 'apparently' low. No idea where people get all the money to corner the market on these things. It's just an emulated machine. Nintendo could make one for nearly every system they have, it's not exactly new stuff.. So weird.

Lastly, they're not hard to get in Australia, my mechanic apparently got one... which I didn't expect lol.

8. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I /suppose/ the rationale with the short cord is that you need to reach the unit to press reset to change games.

But you can just use a Wii Classic Controller, and the home button functions as the reset button. Now if only that had a longer cord! ;)

The reverse also works, I found:

9. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Use a USB cable and lengthen the Wii classic controller

10. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Hugh Jazzembler Fan

I'm absolutely baffled by the short cord, what were they thinking???

Cool mod btw. Nicely done too, as opposed to just splicing in the middle of it somewhere.

I made some of those Wiimote adapters for SNES/Gamecube controllers by Raphnet, I'm guessing those will work fine on the unit as well. SNES controllers are more comfortable than the NES ones anyways. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  11. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

whaaaaat/? the nes mini can hook up to the Wii U?

-doulomb

12. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Not the system, just the controller. It uses the Wii Nunchuck connector, so will work like a Classic Controller with less buttons when you plug it in to a Wiimote.

Then just pair your Wiimote with the WiiU.

The reverse also works, the Wii Classic Controller will work on the NES Mini. The home button even functions as reset.

13. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Awesome job.

I will do this as well once I get my hands on one.

awesomeNES likes this.
  14. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

make sure to use correctly screened cable, apparently using cheap non screened/shielded cable with the mini causes huge input issues.

15. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

The product pages on Raphnet's website claim that they don't work with the NES Classic. I wonder why?

16. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Thanks a lot! Appreciate that.
    The cable I used is one of those high quality ones... you know the "gold plated" kind ? LOL No issues at all. I wired it up just like the original cord, with the only exception being that I didn't connect the cable shielding back to the metal casing of the connector. I really didn't see any point in doing so because the shielding doesn't terminate anywhere on the other end inside of the controller. I figured that in the manufacturing process they probably crimp it that way for extra strength/rigidity, but the plastic casing of the connector with its screws, digs into the cable perfectly creating a secure hold on the cable. Plus there is a slot in the connector for those two metal prongs that stick out both sides of that retention ring to fit in. It's not going anywhere!

If these remotes were more readily available I'd be tempted to add the home button on it so I could return back to the home screen without having to get up and hit the reset button on the console. However I do have a cheap Chinese USB NES controller that I could put the partial guts of a Nintendo classic controller into... hmmmmm ideas

17. esmith13

esmith13 Newly Registered

Very nice mod. I handled the short cord issue differently, however.
    I bought a pair of Mayflash NES/FC/SNES/SFC to Wii adapters to start with. This allowed me to use my already owned NES and SNES original controllers and the extensions I have for them to get me 10ft long controllers with the added benifit of the Mayflash feature to press SELECT and START at the same time to simulate pressing the HOME button (causing a reset on the mini) on a Wii Classic controller. Now I don't need to get up and press reset!

You can of course also take this further and use the mayflash adapters to allow the use of 8bitdo retro receivers and the NES30 or SNES30 controllers (or for that matter a PS3, PS4 or Wii U Pro Controller) to have a completely wireless setup and still use the mayflash feature of pressing select and start together to simulate the home button/reset.

The mayflash adapters are $15 on amazon each, the retro receivers are $18-$25/ea depending on if you get NES or SNES versions (if only doing this for NES mini get the SNES version IMHO) and then if you go full tilt and get the NES30/FC30 or SNES30/SFC30 to keep it "authentic" expect to pay $30-$40 per controller as well.

To me it was worth it to go all out since I also play my real NES and SNES and wanted wireless controllers for them anyway.

Enjoy!

18. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Feel free to throw up some pics!

19. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Hugh Jazzembler Fan

It appears you're right. That's slightly disappointing. I wonder why as well.

20. esmith13

esmith13 Newly Registered

OK so all my stuff came in today and of course, it didn't work as expected...
    The interesting part is, it seems that the failure is not getting the 8bitdo retro receiver to work on the 3.3v supplied by the wii remote/NES classic. The issue seems to be that the mayflash adapter won't talk to the NES Classic - or more accurately, the NES Classic refuses to talk to the adapter. I can't even get the adapter to work with a real SNES controller on the NES Classic. Everything works as expected when plugged in to a Wii remote of course. I verified that voltage/signal was coming thru on the correct pins on the mayflash snes connector (tested NES too). I even went a step further and checked the WiiMote Extension socket pins on the NES Classic. Everythign was fine except pin 3 didn't also carry the 3.3v. I wondered if this was the issue so I opened the mayflash adapter and jumped Pins 1 & 3 so both showed 3.3v. It didn't help. Is there anything else I can try without needing an oscilloscope to get to the bottom of how the NES Classic may be able to ignore/misunderstand the Mayflash adapter?