Neo Geo AES serials/mother board revisions

Discussion in 'Neo Geo Discussion' started by _SD_, Feb 9, 2011.

1. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

So, I'm after a Neo Geo AES. But I specifically want a 3-6 version motherboard in order to do the RGB mods.

Does anyone have any idea what range of serials I should be looking at to give myself the best chance of getting a 3-6? Is anything over 190k going to be a safe bet, or should I aim a little higher?

2. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

What RGB Mods? The 3-6 has brighter RGB than previous revision, in fact 3-5 and 3-6 are brighter than the previous ones. Only thing is that the 3-6 suffers from vertical stripes so you need to cut the 3 traces that run under the clock and they're gone. Hard to say exactly what range it starts at since a lot of times there are recases where someone fixes a mobo and places it in a different case.

Only way to be sure is to look in the cart slot to the right and it will say which revision 3-3 through 3-6, if you don't see anything then it is a 1st gen.

3. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

The RGB bypass and cutting those three traces under the clock are the mods I was planning to do. The way I understood it, a modified 3-6 outputs the best possible picture of any AES version.

I was hoping that the serials themselves would be enough of an indication as to what version the board is. I didn't fancy asking sellers on eBay to start peering through the cart slot of all their Neo Geos.

4. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Before I bought one I followed this guide http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/

My serial was 56,000 and something (don't own the unit any more) and the RGB without modding was fantastic.

As long as you stay under a 126k serial and don't sit with your eyeball on the screen or a foot away then I severely doubt you're going to notice the difference.

I know it doesn't really answer your question, I just don't think the mod is really necessary.

Each to their own though.

5. Xian Xi

Xian Xi Rising Member

On the 3-6 you don't need to do an RGB bypass, the RGB is bright enough. Only 1st gen, 3-3 and 3-4 need it.

6. Jeovani

Jeovani Newly Registered

Hello, I read now about Neo geo being 3-3, 3-5, but what exactly is 3-3 and 3-5 ?? From an example of 3-3 and 3-5 please. I have a Neo Geo CD, what is the number that a Neo geo CD should have to have an excellent RGB signal ??? Which Neo Geo CD series has the best RGB output ??? Thank you.