need Xbox modding tips

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by beretta85, Aug 29, 2009.

1. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Now that you mention it, the name sounds familiar. I believe this is the one that I used.

Yes, it really is that easy. In may ways doing a softmod is *harder* than flashing a TSOP.

The dash lives on the hard drive, not in the BIOS. Flashing the BIOS does not change the dash. And it will only change the splash screen if you choose one with a custom splash. After flashing a new BIOS you can use your choice of dash from Microsoft original to XBMC.

You will need to upload the BIOS files to the EvoX BIOS folder before running it. Then, when you run the flash option you can choose from the list of files that you have uploaded.

You don't need to edit a BIOS file to boot a specific dash. If this is your first time messing with Xbox BIOS files I would HIGHLY suggest you do not try to edit a BIOS file. Start by taking a known good BIOS and flashing it.

This is the advantage of a TSOP flash over a softmod. As Pikkon mentioned, with a TSOP if you hork your dash somehow (delete a file you shouldn't have, etc.) reinstalling all the files is a *simple* matter. Kill the dash on a softmodded box and you're in for an annoying time.

-hl718

2. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Hmm, I tried installing multiple dashboards but nothing was working. I flashed to another BIOS and it froze again. And then I flashed again with another Xecuter 2 BIOS and then it kept restarting at boot. And then I flashed to MS Debug BIOS and my Xbox is completely dead. Oh well, fun to play about with.

3. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Well did you even format the hdd before installing any kind of dash,also what was the size of the debug bios.

4. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

By "debug" BIOS do you mean a retail BIOS hacked so that it would run debug signed executables as well as retail signed executables or an actual debug BIOS?

If it is the latter, it's no wonder that your system no longer boots.

A stock retail BIOS won't work in a debug and a stock debug BIOS won't work in a retail.

-hl718

5. Segata Sanshiro

It's as hl718, it was just a regular debug BIOS. :110:

And yes I formatted multiple times, but nothing was happening.

6. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

This is why I was configuring the bios before I was going to try anything. You apparently flashed correctly. I bet a million bucks it was looking for a dash file named something different.

When I got the xecutor 2 bios off xbins, it was looking for avalaunch.xbe / evoxdash.xbe / mxmdash.xbe by default. If you were using anything other than a retail hdd, avalaunch, or evox, it shouldn't be able to boot your dash.

edit: oh wow. even with a fresh retail hdd format, it still wasnt booting the dash? I still bet that it was a simple file naming mix up.

I wish I had the proper soldering tools to try this. All my solder gun heads are too thick, and I don't have any flux or whatever that stuff is called.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  7. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Well its modchip time.

8. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

Segata Sanshiro, can we get a little more info on exactly what you did?

When you flashed the xecutor 2 bios, what version of the bios was it (what was the file name)? What custom dash did you have / were you trying to install after flashing? Did you configure the bios at all?

Aside from the debug bios flash, which was the biggest nail in your xboxes coffin, did all the previous flashes go well (the flashing, not the lack of a dash)? What were you using to flash the bios? evox? something else?

9. Segata Sanshiro

I was using the BIOS flashing utility on auto installer deluxe to install 1MB Xecutor BIOSes. The flashing appeared to go well, but my Xbox wasn't loading a dashboard after the original flash. I thought my larger HDD might have gone funny, but even by original 10GB HDD did the same thing.

Honestly though, I have such bad luck with these things that it's probably just an anomaly.