Need some help with my supergun

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by Jackhead, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

i setup my supergun today with a arcade psu 16A on +5V and 1A +12V and gnd of corse. My arcade board is Athena from SNK (original). Startimg up my supergun, used the poti to ajust +5V. And i got a picture , so far so good.
    My picture is flipped 180 and i have no sound.
    I have the instruction sheet but its in japanese..
    My questions now:

How can i flip the picture? I know there is an option from the arcade board to do this.
    Do i need the -5V ? And what sound code i have to select on service mode?

2. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

3. cez

cez Site Supporter

On bank 1 set dip switch #2 to "ON". That will switch the cabinet type from "table" to "upright". See here for reference: http://www.crazykong.com/dips/Athena.txt

I can't help with the sound issue but what you're referring to in the service menu is just a sound test. The codes stand for in-game sound/music.

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Ooh! I don't think there is a scan of the Athena manual!

The Yamaha FM chips and Z80 don't need -5V. Is there a volume pot? Maybe it was on an external bracket in the coin door? Or sometimes via the service menu.

That said, some sound circuits needed -5V. If you have -5V on your PSU (most arcade PSUs should), connect it. It is well worth having the right PSU anyway, if you're going to be swapping boards.

You might not be able to get the game to display the right way up, short of adjusting the yoke on your monitor, according to Arcade Otaku wiki. The cocktail mode will flip it for alternating players but upright will be fixed.