need PS2 memcard HDD exploit advice

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by beretta85, Sep 6, 2009.

1. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

A few days ago, I got a DTL-30001 TEST PS2 from a friend. To my surprise, it came with a network adaptor and a 60gb hdd.

I've read that there is an exploit that can be done that installs files to the BADATA portion of the memory card and triggers a buffer overflow when a ps1 disc is inserted, booting some kind of hdd-OS.

I spent all day googling, making ISOs, master disc patching ISOS, burning cds, burning dvds, taking apart a retail PS2, taking apart the TEST, etc, etc. Nothing I do seems to allow me to manipulate my memory card to enable playing from the hdd.

- I have swap magic 3.6. my retail ps2 only can read the dvd disc. the test can read both the dvd and cd discs, but requires that I remove the top cover of the machine beforehand to perform the swap. (however, thinking about it now, I shouldn't even need the swap magic with the test. It just shows you how confused I am at the moment)

- I do not own an action replay.
    - I do not own a mod chipped ps2.
    - I do own a Test.
    - I do have an official Sony memcard, network adaptor, and compatible 60gb hdd

Can anyone with some experience point me in the right direction, given the tools that I have? I tried searching first, but the thread was over two years old, and it didn't really answer my questions of help me.

If this is against the rules, I'm sorry and please feel free to delete this. I just want to put as little strain on my TESTs laser as possible to make it last as long as possible.

2. PSPdemon

PSPdemon Peppy Member

Couldn't you use FreeMCBOOT for this?

If not then you could make a iso that has ulaunchelf and the other required elf's for hdd loading and try to run it from there ( ofcourse using the master disc patcher to patch the iso )

Other than that I cant really think of any OTHER method... I wish that I could give more advice but afaik the ps2 tests are fickle with these kind of hacks.

Hope you get something working. :)

3. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

I figured it out, but I had to use a tool in the PS2 SDK to do it. I know SDKs and the discussion of them is a bit taboo. If anyone is interested, or I get the go-ahead from a mod, I'll explain what I did.

But, I got it working and now I can utilize the hdd in my TEST.

4. defor

defor Intrepid Member

That's pretty odd... While I was unable to get hd loader modified as a master disc, I was able to use a combination of:
    retail Blaze HD Xploder disc to boot the system,
    then swap in the copy game/app (regardless of master disc status)

and it would boot up- hd loader, etc... all fine...

5. beretta85

beretta85 Peppy Member

You can't patch the hdloader disc as a master disc. I tried this as well. What you need to do is get the hdloader ELF file off the disc or the HDAdvance ELF somewhere, and then build it yourself using the CDVDGen program. After you pop on the ELF file, the proper system.cnf, and an appropriate amount of dummy space (I used 2gb), you create the IML file for the disc. Then, you use GNIE's iml2iso program, and it spits out your ISO. I burned it with ImgBurn. The Test will boot the disc you made directly and go right into HDLoader/Advance.

I wasted like 30 cds and like 20 dvds to figure this out.

You can also repeat this same process for uLaunchELF, SMS Media center, or any other app you want to use, and it will work just fine.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  6. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Odd. The TEST that I've got here boots HDLoader straight away. No chichanery needed.

-hl718