Need Help Finding Unreleased SNES Version of Puggsy

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Superrayman3, Dec 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

Good day ASSEMbler games community I'm hoping someone here can help me in my search to find something that I've been looking for over the last 6 months and that is the unreleased SNES version of Puggsy that was developed by Traveller's Tales and set be published by Psygnosis in 1994 but first a little background (I originally brought some of this up in the holy grail thread but since nobody responded there I thought I might have better luck posting everything in its own thread).

On May 29, 2018, Traveller's Tales founder Jon Burton posted a video to his Youtube channel GameHut confirming that an SNES version of Puggsy was pretty much completed and ready to ship but ended up being canceled by Psygnosis at the last minute due to poor sales of the Genesis/Mega Drive and SEGA CD/Mega CD versions of the game which is sad because SNES fans missed out on a hidden gem of a game (surprisingly Burton also revealed that some of the SNES music ended up being used for the Sega CD/Mega CD version which came out shortly after the Genesis/Mega Drive version and before the SNES version was canceled because the developers didn't have enough time to create brand new CD audio tracks for some of the levels).

Here's the GameHut video for reference:

I've actually been trying to get in contact with a few of the key people who would have been involved with the development of the SNES version to see if they may have anything left of the project but thus far have had no luck and I'm hoping someone can help me reach these people to ask, the first person of interest is Chris Stanforth who served as the lead programmer for the SNES conversions of Traveller's Tales' releases around that time period and would probably be our best bet in finding anything useful in this search, the next person of interest is Tony Parks who served as a QA tester for Psygnosis and had previously been involved with QA & play testing testing on the Genesis/Mega Drive & Sega CD/Mega CD versions of Puggsy making it highly likely that he served as a QA tester for the SNES version as well, the final person of interest is Charles McNair who served as a play tester for Traveller's Tales and like Tony Parks also served as a play tester for the Genesis/Mega Drive & Sega CD/Mega CD versions of Puggsy and still works for the current iteration of Traveller's Tales "TT Games" (I actually tweeted at TT Games to see if they could help me get in contact with McNair but unfortunately I never got a response).

I also attempted to reach out to Matt Furniss and Shaun Hollingworth (Matt was the composer for Puggsy and Shaun provided the sound drivers) to see if they may have anything left from the soundtrack for the canceled SNES version and I actually did get a response form Shaun and unfortunately he never had access to any of the sound assets for any of the games his drivers were used for and thus far Matt hasn't responded to my inquiry on the matter.

If anybody could help me get in touch with these people I'd really appreciate it because as a big Puggsy fan I'd like to see SNES users have the chance to experience this hidden gem on their favorite system.

arnoldlayne likes this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

3. Superrayman3

I'm already aware of that thread, however the build shown there is a early proto for the Genesis/Mega Drive version and not the SNES version and since there wasn't many posts there I felt it was best to start a thread specifically about the SNES version instead of necroing an older thread as the topic being discussed was irrelevant to the discussion about the prototype build for the Genesis/Mega Drive.

4. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

I am astonished at the lack of periods in your paragraphs.

5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Be careful, I almost died when I tried to read it aloud.

piplup10036 likes this.
  6. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Love Puggsy, it really is an awesome game.

It's too bad Jon Burton doesn't have anything other than a few of the assets, I'd of thought he'd be the most likely source to have something, especially since he has several early megadrive prototypes of puggsy. Regarding Psygnosis, a gentleman recently sold an old amiga psygnosis development computer on ebay that was used to develop various games such as lemmings. In the auction description he mentioned how he received the computer, and also a bit about Psygnosis' practices with their work machines at the time. Basically, psygnosis was literally throwing out its 16 bit era amiga development computers in the mid 90s, and on top of that, it was standard practice at psygnosis to reformat the HDDs between projects / between giving a workstation to another employee to use. Hopefully something is archived somewhere, but knowing about those practices at Psygnosis makes it more difficult to imagine something might have survived on the psygnosis end of things.

7. Superrayman3

Update: I can confirm that Chris Stanforth was indeed the programmer for the SNES version of Puggsy. While searching for information about the SNES version, I stumbled upon an issue of Retro Gamer that had a feature on Traveller's Tales (issue 76 pages 50-53) and in the feature on page 51. It was basically confirmed that Chris Stanforth was the one in charge of the SNES version. With this info in mind I'd really like to get in contact with him and ask if he has anything left of the SNES version even more than ever before (I assumed he was involved but now I know for sure). If anybody knows how to get in contact with him, or has been in contact with him in the past and could ask him I'd really appreciate it as I'd really like to see this released so SNES fans can enjoy this gem of a game like I was able to growing up.

8. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I found him pretty easily. I'll message him and see if he has anything to say about this.

9. Superrayman3

Thanks Bramsworth, hopefully something good can come from your inquiry. There are only a few primary people of interest left that I can think of who might still have something related to the project.

The first is Tony Parks who served as a QA tester for Psygnosis, and was a play tester for the Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega CD/Mega CD versions of Puggsy (he also served as the producer for the Amiga version), making it highly likely that he served as a play tester for the SNES version as well, these facts make him someone worth asking about the project.

The second is Charles McNair who was a play tester for Traveller's Tales and like Tony Parks, also served as a play tester for the Genesis/Mega Drive & Sega CD/Mega CD versions, and actually still works for the current iteration of Travellers' Tales "TT Games" to this day, so he might be someone worth tracking down.

The final person and one I completely missed the in my first post is Steven Riding (credited as Steve Riding), who served as product manager for Psygnosis and was the project manager for all 3 versions of Puggsy, making it highly likely that he also served as project manager for the SNES version since he was project manager for all of the other versions.

Outside of these 3 assuming Chris doesn't have anything, the only other person I can think of that would have anything related to the project (at least music wise) is Matt Furniss who thus far hasn't responded to my inquiry about the SNES soundtrack.

10. Superrayman3

Hey Bramsworth did you ever hear back from Chris Stanforth about the SNES version of Puggsy?

11. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Haven't heard back, not uncommon for devs of the past to not really respond on their social media. I'll update the topic if he ever gets back to me.

12. Superrayman3

Drats, that sucks, oh well thanks for trying anyway Bramsworth, maybe we'd have better luck with the other 3 key people I mentioned previously (Tony Parks, Charles McNair and Steven Riding). Aside from those 3 I can't think of any other key people of interest off the top of my head from either Traveller's Tales or Psygnosis that would be able to offer any assistance with this (if anybody has or knows of any potential leads when it comes to people who might've been involved with the development of the SNES version, please let me know so I can add them to the list, any potential leads that can be found are worth looking into IMO). If worst comes to worst we may have to try and track down people who beta tested the SNES version and see if they might have saved a copy but even that might be yet another dead end.