Need help diagnosing a SNES

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mobius_trip, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rapidly Rising Member

So let me be as brief as possible:
    Problem: Every game tried boots and plays flawlessly EXCEPT Chrono Trigger, Chrono Trigger plays intro and then hangs upon button press at a black screen, if you push up and down on the controller you hear the cursor movement sound, so it is not locked up. The copy of chrono trigger works flawlessly in my personal system which is the same board revision. SVHC CPU-01.

All normal routes of trouble shooting have been exhausted, cleaned cart and cart slot, recapped board, replaced Vreg and tested, I feel like the singularity of the problem points to the cart, but ive tried the cart in a few known working systems and they all boot and play it perfectly. has anyone experienced anything else like this? is there a known solution? Im worried that this is one of those SNES thats dying, and that the first video mode to die in the ppu is whatever CT uses at the save game selection screen which is where the game should be at the black screen, but i was under the impression that this was just a graphical issue and i should be able to progress the game blindly, but the game does not progress no matter the button presses. also thought it might be a voltage issue which is why i replaced the reg, despite the fact it tested fine, it would be a shame to lose this SNES as with the recap, it seems to have completely deleted the center line of interference these first models are known for... and it seems to work flawlessly on every other game ive tried, but of course the buddy im working on it for IS ONLY interested in playing his copy of chrono trigger.... hah

2. meg4drive

meg4drive Member

Have you tried another copy of chrono trigger or through a flashcart to see if it produces a different result.

3. Mobius_trip

i dont own an sd2snes yet, working on that, and i dont have another copy of chrono trigger to test...

4. jonoghue

jonoghue Active Member

From what i've seen, the dying SNESs (which are pretty much just the SHVC CPU-1 revision) are from the CPU failing. that doesn't necessarily mean that is the problem with yours but it's definitely a possibility. What other games did you test with this SNES?

5. Mobius_trip

a ton, but more and more research is pointing to the fact that you are most likely correct, the cpu is the most likely culprit, wish i had one of those burn in carts to be sure, i suppose ill have to get me a 16bit eeprom programmer at some point and make one... its a shame because i now i have 2 snes like this, partially dead, but not quite, the other one EXCLUSIVELY plays Brandish and NO OTHER GAME... its almost laughable...