Need For Speed - Stay clear!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by HEX1GON, Nov 10, 2015.

1. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

There hasn't been a good NFS since Most Wanted, some say Carbon was the last but it's down to preference.
    This game leaves good impressions within the first 60% of the game. However once you go past that it's completely crap. So I decided to give it a try, I could return it in 7 days for a refund soo... Here's my impressions.

Customization appears to be in depth but it isn't. I started off with the BRZ couldn't mod the taillights, or headlights apparently there's 'no parts' yet the BRZ has probably the most supported kits and lights from any JDM car right now. So I later saved enough for a Supra SZ-R, oh and guess what no major brand body kits like ABFlug or Bomex at all. They have their logos in the game but no parts. Let alone no TRD parts either...

Performance parts have no branding whatsoever like the last NFS I played with parts. If you're going to spend money on logos, at least include their inventory..

You're forced to use an exotic car to progress, otherwise the AI just fly past you and you cannot catch up to them at all, even after blocking them into traffic or a wall. So you're forced to save up for an exotic to just beat them in a few races. You can't customise exotic cars a whole lot, so there goes the "customisation is back!!" remarks.

Then comes the drifting which AI can smash into you, which causes you to lose your score yet they don't lose theirs.

Then comes the physics, your car will gain speed if you drift so tuning your car to 'drift' will allow you to turn corners at very high speed. Yet a car tuned for grip slows right down in corners and even keeping a racing means nothing.

The game runs all in real time, so when you're racing with crews your pack shows on the map of other players. This means if you're going in one direction, there might be another race coming towards you. It ruins your progress in the races, I've been hit head on by other players just trying to complete their story mode. Major flaw.

Sure NFS isn't a sim, and isn't trying to be. When handling becomes favoured in such stupid ways I have to adapt to the crap factor of the game. I prefer arcade physics over sim physics all the time, but this just doesn't feel like either of them.

Another thing worth mentioning is the game doesn't install on the Xbox One, or runs off the disc. It's like it's always streamed off somewhere, yet there's no delay in controls or animations.. That being said, you need a very solid internet connection to play the game too.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Digmac likes this.
  2. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Honestly thanks for this write-up. PS4 user here and I don't think the story is any better. Haven't bought it yet, but I know I'll be waiting with the things I've heard. Sounds like another pass racing title on next gen consoles.

HEX1GON likes this.
  3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I've seen many people buy it, I was returning mine when someone was buying it. I can't believe how bad the NFS series has gotten, I was hoping for a pretty good police chase but I kept waiting for the police to catch up. It's a joke, save your money :)

4. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Here I am still reliving the glory days with Hot Pursuit 2 :D Where the police can actually drive! Ever since the later PS2 and Xbox titles it's been downhill. Around Carbon, after the 2nd Underground title. I'll make due with those until this one ends up in the bargain bin like every EA title. Thanks for looking out for us desperate NFS fans looking for a good game haha

5. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Played it for about 30 minutes (EA Access) before uninstalling. Even if the handling wasn't horrible, the DUDE BRO HASHTAG *fistbump* cutscenes would've put me off it. It's really embarrassing that some marketing exec thought that was "cool".

6. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Sounds like a pretty good game to me, you've managed to convince me to buy it. And no, I'm not being sarcastic, I don't see a single flaw with anything you talked about. The part where other players can ram you head on sounds awesome.

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

It seems they focused so much on a storyline, actors were pretty good although like you mentioned the slang was far too overused.

Did you like how if you pull the handbrake it puts you into an instant drift but you can't countersteer with the handbrake again to change direction?

8. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

I think you should stick to Forza, this shit ain't realistic enough for you... To me, NFS is basically on a level slightly higher than Mario Kart yet lower than Gran Turismo.

By the way, do you enjoy Project Cars?

9. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Yeah, that was what made me quit the game, along with the blatant rubberbanding. Daytona USA did drifting better 20 years ago.

10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

The physics are just stupid physics. It makes no sense, if a handbrake pull slides your car, you should be able to counter it, but you simply can't it just pushes you into a wall or slows you down too much. No way would I compare any NFS to be "realistic" . I miss NFS's simple handling like NFSMW or even High Stakes.

Oh man, it was sooooo fucking bad. I like how Amy's 240sx could constantly be in the lead yet my 892HP Supra couldn't catch her on a straight.
    It's like this game was Tokyo Extreme Racer on speed.

11. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Most Wanted is one of my favourite PS2 games, but going back and playing it recently made me realise how stiff everything was, so I'd have to disagree on it being simple. And doesn't Mario Kart Super Circuit have a similar drifting problem? I tried to play it the other day but I kept smashing into walls and going off the edge of every map, it's ludicrous.

12. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Honestly I can't really compare Mario Kart to any races it's somewhat in it's own category. It's a cartoony comedic game with no real laws of physics, you can basically be full speed and turn a sharp corner, if that makes sense. The amount of catch up also (without exploiting) is crazy.

At least Most Wanted allow you to brake for a corner and follow through, this NFS just doesnt' even at low speed you can barely turn for some reason. You're forced to drift, which you can't even feather your accelerator to change your angle. It's all or nothing which throws off the handling for me. For example you can have your steering completely right during a drift and you'll gain speed, that's reverse of what it should be and throws off any calculations in my mind to perform one.

You go back to NFSU drifting made sense in an arcade racer's point of view, while in a drift you can feather the accel and your steering to change your angle. You just can't in this NFS, it won't allow you to.

13. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

I think I understand now, and it does sound pretty bad. So you're saying you can't pull a Daytona USA and sort of drift to the left, while holding right/trying to keep the wheel straight-ish, and gain speed?

14. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Yep you have to keep steering in the same direction, which you'd think would make you go into a wall by doing so.

15. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! had killer drifting. So good. God, I love that game.

16. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I was done the second I found out it was online only

Johnny likes this.
  17. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

What's with developer's obsession with online only? There was 0 reasoning as to why. I never raced anyone.

Billden55 likes this.
  18. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I guess they don't want to sell games.

To me if a Game is online only it's already a coaster because before you know it the servers are offline and all you have is something to rest your drink on.

19. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I pay EA $5 a month and get all their older XB1 games free. It's not a bad deal.

They're all obsessed with the mythical "pirates" who are in reality like 10% of gamers, even less on consoles.

20. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

The new need for speed will be only $25 on November 26th from Walmart. Should I get it for $25? Or nah?