NEC PCE-LD1 Laseractive

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by vanadium, Jul 4, 2017.

1. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Picked one up with the Karaoke, PCE, and MD PACs/controllers a few months ago (pulling bad caps, cleaning pads!), but the most notable part of this series of purchases was that this was the NEC clone of the Pioneer Laseractive.

Anyone know production numbers for this thing? I know the Pioneer was already pretty low, but it was sheer luck that I got the NEC variant shipped to me from Japan. Even more lucky that it powers up, no tray problems, and came with the remote!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Taijigamer2 likes this.
  2. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

That's a nice score. Couldn't tell you production numbers but the only images I ever found over the years were the same three or four that appeared to be taken with a web cam from the 90's. Would you mind taking a nice clear shot of the bezel especially where the "Pioneer" would otherwise be displayed in the upper left? Every shot has that area too blurry to see it.

vanadium likes this.
  3. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

I'll take some, no problem. Glad to contribute something better than the fuzzy ones I've seen out there.

I should probably catalog the serial number as well in case anything can be gleaned over time around those numbers.

4. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

[​IMG]
    Hanging with 2 of the PACs. Really great condition, and came with PAC-S1. The remote and original PAC controllers (and most PAC paperwork) is also up there. This is all in my basement workshop for restoration and testing.

[​IMG]
    Well, that's a serial below 1,000 if I'm not mistaken.

[​IMG]
    Here's that badge that's always fuzzy.

[​IMG]
    This is slightly different vs the Pioneer. That's a cat hair, not a scratch.

[​IMG]
    I can't imagine this was ever used much based on the lack of wear. Or it was really well taken care of. Listing said it was in storage for a decade, but it powers up and trays do their thing (need to test on some LD-ROM disks I bought as well to fully determine how good it is).

[​IMG]
    PAC-N1 hanging atop a Mega-CD 1 I'm repairing (low audio according to the seller on YHJapan). Took a few caps out I saw swollen (including that audio cap) and cleaned the board up with 91% alcohol. No board/pad damage seen (so far). But I'm taking my time with cap replacement to be careful. Got a hot air rework station in my workshop to help out.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Taijigamer2 likes this.
  5. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Might as well get you pictures of that remote (working great) as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

takeshi385 likes this.
  6. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I love these pics man, they are great for documenting these rare systems.

vanadium likes this.
  7. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

Ya thanks for the pics. I actually like the subtle NEC touches a little more than Pioneer. They even changed the remote to use green for power and eject instead of red.

vanadium likes this.
  8. Ronnie

Ronnie Spirited Member

@vanadium, Wow do you have two Sega Wondermegas? :eek:

9. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing. I've seen some videos from GameTechUS repairing these beasts. The PACs have always leaky caps and the main unit is very tricky to get parts out.

Keep us updated on any finds you make.

10. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Yeah. citrus3000psi (seriously awesome) fixed the Sega Wondermega 1 up for me after I bought it as-is and loose from Japan and I discovered problems with it, and the Victor I found similarly low-priced, as-is, and fixed up the lid motor which needed a new belt.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  11. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

I was really hesitant to grab a Laseractive until I watched a bunch of his series on YouTube. Great stuff. Wish he'd put up a ceramic cap parts list for the units; Console5 just supplies surface caps like the original.

12. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

Those machines are so wonderful but also so much work. Not only will you have to recap the machine, but also the modules.

I have consigned mine to static displays, I don't have the patience time or ability anymore to do all that recapping on something
    I will use maybe a few times in ten years.

vanadium likes this.
  13. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Yeah, from my POV, I have a responsibility to stop any bleeding first and foremost with a full recap (thankfully PAC-K1 doesn't need one generally), but doubt this will be a daily driver. Fear of the laser giving out versus, say, my Duo-RX or Wondermega, is the worst.

14. Ronnie

Ronnie Spirited Member

Be sure to replaced the Laseracttive player power supply caps too and not only the pacs. I've had two units were the PSU caps went bad quickly thankfully I caught them in time. Also there is a board inside the player (RGB pcb if I'm not mistaken) the one that pairs, connects and that has the male connector where the pacs attach to, this board has a power rail cap (1200uf) that also has the tendency to leak the hard thing is getting to it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    vanadium likes this.
  15. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Excellent advice, thank you!

16. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Are you going to show this off with the elusive PAC-N10 next?

17. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Wish I had one!