Naomi VM ?

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by linglang, Apr 13, 2019.

1. linglang

linglang Active Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    americandad likes this.
  2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Some games certainly did - various fighting games (Powerstone for sure) and F355 Challenge would let you swap data between the home version and the arcade using VMUs.

The keyboards used on Typing of the Dead plugged into the Maple bus ports on the front of the Naomi mainboard - I don't know for sure if they used the same protocol as the retail Dreamcast keyboard, but it seems highly likely.

americandad likes this.
  3. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

general answer - no. Naomi "as is" doesn't supports Dreamcast peripherals.

however, there was official addon devices:
    - "Sega VMU adapter" - player can plug in it Dreamcast VMUs.
    - "Capcom adapter" - you can plug in it Dreamcast controllers (up to 2x), which in its turn may have VMU inserted.
    list of games which supports VMU or controllers - https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=26535

typing games uses a bit special keyboards, which is regular Dreamcast keyboards but have special connector.

americandad likes this.
  4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

OK, I was wrong about Powerstone - it doesn't have either VMU or controller support - Powerstone 2 does, however.

Since this thread got me thinking, I made up a simple passive adapter to plug DC controllers and keyboards into the Naomi. This seems to be all you need.

In most cases, you need to go into the game settings menu and select "VM-KIT CAPCOM" for the controller to work.

Naomi adapter.jpg

HI_Ricky and americandad like this.