NAOMI Development

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Greatsaintlouis, Dec 12, 2004.

1. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Actualy your adapter is the official one from capcom but at the same time capcom has used the Sega io pcb in kits (cap vs snk 2 came with a sega io insted of capcom io).

Sega on the other hand has two official IO cables. The first model Which only converts video & input. And a second model which does everything the capcom IO does & more.

It's all listed up on sega-naomi.com

I personaly have a naomi 2 (& gd drive) with a capcom io since my cabinet is a capcom candy cab (capcom impress 29).

2. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Guest

i see, let me try plug to my CP3... oh...where is my JOJO....

3. subbie

4. Don't NAOMI boards output native VGA? I thought I read that somewhere...

5. subbie

Greatsaintlouis,

Yes it does. The naomi suports 2 display settings 15k (old arcade standard) & 31k (new standard). You can plug a PC monitor into a naomi board and set the unit to 31k.

I use to do it with mine since on a TV it looked horible (on my cab it looks great even though its 15k).

6. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Ok people thanks for all the info!

If NAOMI boards output native VGA does that mean I can just plug my monitor into the Naomi board and use seperate speakers and get a Power unit to power it (Obviously I would also have to get a control panel to play the games). But what would be overall better, get a capcom i/o conervter and Supergun, or simply get a PSU and control panel?

Lasty can someone recommend a good control panel (good quality and reasonable price) and how do GD-rom drives go for (as the gd roms are alot cheaper then the carts :D ).

Anyway thanks people and sorry Greatsaintlouis for hijacking the orignal purpose of this thread!

7. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Depends what you mean by good control panel. Best bet is make one yourself. You won't find many MAS or Sigma joysticks in the UK.

8. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Ok, I've decied to buy the Naomi board, will get a PSU and connect it to my pc monitor. As a controller I will use modify a Dreamcast Extenstion lead so that I can use a normal DC controller, arcade stick, light gun, fishing contoller and even my maracus :)

9. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Damn, just found out from Sega-Naomi.com, that most games arn't supposed to work that way :(

Retro I would make one myself, but don't have the time or experince. When I say good I mean in good build quality but also at a decent price.

10. subbie

I though about this last night and figured out something that might work.

A huge problem with making a controller that will work is that nobody has JVS io boards laying around. They are hard to come by and I have yet to find an alternative to convert a signal to the USB JVS uses (you can't just use any usb device).

You can how ever buy a Sega IO board (but they run $100 USD) and then get some kind of an arcade stick (Supernova, Pelican, x-arcade). With some good sodering and imagination. You should be able to wire your input buttons directly into the Jamma side of the Sega IO (or if you want to be more careful. Wire to a Jamma harness that you can plug into the io). Then from there just install the IO in the case and have the USB wire comming out.

If you want to get even more fancy with that idea (and go supernova), You can get the same connecter end Mas uses and set it up in the back and wire up Player 2. So then you can get 2 players by plugging another mas stick into the back of the player 1 box.

I hope that was not too confusing. I could posibly do it but it would take time and cost quite a bit of $$$.

11. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

I did find it a bit confusing, but after reading it a few times I think I understand what your saying :)
    But I think it would be better off for me to get a Supergun then. However if you willing to take on the project give me a price (you will also have to get any xtra hardware, but I will obvioulsy pay for that), and a rough estimate on how long it should take. The main problem will no doubt be the shipping :(

12. subbie

shipping would be a problem but if it goes by boat it should not be too bad.

Well cost would mostly be in 2 parts. So what ever joystick you would prefer, a sega io ($100-$115), I have a jamma harness laying around that is a waste. Thats pretty much a majority of the parts. It would probably take a week or two to make.

If you can get a supergun for cheap in the UK then thats probably your best bet. Turning a Mas Stick into a JVS or Duel (its default + JVS) will probably run around $200 + $$$ to do the job + shipping.

13. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

KIT, time allowing (depending what comes up for me job wise), I could probably help you with the build. I'm in the UK, too! Not 100 miles from Slough, either (actually I lie - it IS approx 100 miles ;))

14. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Well I just paid for the Naomi board ( it came up to 97 gbp incl. shipping), need to get a psu and some games. For the mean time will proberly use the modded dc extension lead. Also been spending too much and my cash flow running low, so will have to wait a few months before I can get a proper control panel! Anyway thanks for the offer retro and will definatly take you up in your offer to help me in the near future!!