NAOMI Development

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Greatsaintlouis, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the hardware and software used in developing games for the NAOMI arcade system (not NAOMI2). Would it just be a modified version of Dreamcast tools and dev hardware, or are things done a little differently?

2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

There was a card on ebay not long ago, it has all the extra ram DC doesn't.

Sometimes confused with normal DC dev stuff.

3. adam-james

adam-james Guest

im SOOO intrested in this.. gonna get me a naomi 2 setup soon i hope...

:eek:)

4. Do you have any specs on that card, assembler, or a link to the completed auction by any chance?

5. ASSEMbler

living_lakeside was selling it

6. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Assembler, any arcade dev items this anonymous guy maybe selling? ;-)

7. f_bohmann

f_bohmann Rapidly Rising Member

8. ASSEMbler

Hey, nice to see you joined the boards felix.

9. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Anybody have more information on this?

Was there a special unit (like a modified dreamcast) used for testing or did they have a special cart they could reflash some rom chips with?

I am very currious since I am a big naomi fan & have a naomi 2 for my cabinet.

10. Aww, I saw a new post in this thread and was hoping it was some new news or something. ;) Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info to be had AT ALL on Naomi development, or arcade development in general, which is rather sad, as I personally find it fascinating.

11. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

This is interesting, if somewhat brief.

You could track down Rikiya Nakagawa as he doesn't work for Sega any more and ask him ;)

Have you tried asking in the ArcadeDev Mailing List?

Best place for arcade dev info is here.

I think some people did it by disassembling ROMs (like this page).

You could always use this with that technique, based on hacking one of the supported games.

12. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Guest

i have see first ver naomi dev util just normal naomi board add more 2 dev board to there. and one emu rom adapter.

beta naomi dev is useing mode-3 board add 4 pcs board to there dev.

well i finish temp job in sega. i also did not see naomi 2 dev util :/

13. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

On a side note, can you use a "Supergun" ( think thats what it is called) with the Naomi motherboard to play Naomi arcade roms on a normal tv?

the reason for me asking is i might be able to get a cheap/reasonable priced Naomi 1 arcade system and some games and want to be able to play on a normal tv.

14. Tachikoma

Tachikoma Officer at Arms

You need the I/O board to make it JAMMA (and SuperGun) compatible, it has some uber funky connectors on it natively.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  15. subbie

Naomi looks like ass through a Tv screen. Personaly make a supergun for power & input but use a Pc monitor for output display. The Naomi system is JVS/Jamma2 stanard. So the display suports 31k display mode. It becomes much sharper.

Also if you screw that and just go with a tv. I recomend going with a capcom IO board insted of a Sega IO. I had a lot of display problems when going though a Sega IO (the video signal is not very strong).

If you need more naomi info www.sega-naomi.com
    Were all freaks there. :)

16. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Unless you use the Capcom board, you will NEED a different external PSU to run the Naomi on a SG. In fact, you would probably have to disconnect the power connectors from it altogether, i.e. mod the supergun or build a harness with them disconnected.

17. subbie

Well I personaly recomend going with a PSU period if you use a supergun with a naomi 1. If you go naomi 2 then your fine since the capcom io can give enough to suport a naomi 2 & GD drive. You can mod in a PC ATX PSU (it has the 3.3V required) or get a sega PSU (recomended) and installing a wire into your supergun so you can just plug in the psu when you want to do naomi and then unplug for when you use it for other games.

I personaly feel GD games are much better to use then Carts (less worries of broken pins, easier to change out and consume less space). It was no pitnick having 20 naomi carts under my desk (sold all).

18. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Guest

use this adapter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. subbie

HI_Ricky,

Thats just a normal Capcom IO board. It converts JVS/JAMMA 2 standard to Jamma/Jamma 1 standard.

www.sega-naomi.com has all the info needed on sega naomi stuff (i help with the site).

20. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Guest

i post the adapter is offical naomi to jamma adapter :) it adapter become my beta DOA naomi board :)