N64 RGB Mod - Poor quality image

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by fathertime, Jul 16, 2011.

1. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

Well, I am certainly no expert but the first thing I would look for is any solder that may have dropped on the N64 by accident. Especially near the pins that carry the audio on the multi av port. Here is website you can look at that has the pin-out info.

http://pinouts.ru/Game/n64video_pinout.shtml

Assuming you followed all the way through with the mod (connected RGB lines, cut the trace to pin 9, and connected 7 to 9 inline resistor), you could have done something to pin 11 or 12, both of which handle audio. Did you accidentally connect pin 9 to one of those? Maybe one of your wires is not well shielded and is touching one of those pins? Can you give any more details?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

I actually did a variation on the GameSX mod except I added 75 ohm resistors to the video encoder. I'm still thinking about doing the full mod but I wanted to try this one to see how well it would work with my monitor. I didn't touch any pins on the AV out save for pins 1-3.

3. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Does anyone know a good source for the THS7314? I am only aware of digikey and they want 18€ for shipping :(

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

5. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

or you can order a free sample from www.ti.com

6. gruso

gruso Member

Hi all. So glad to find a topic like this alive and kicking. :) I'm hoping for some advice.

I'm in Australia, and I've purchased an RGB modded N64 from a French ebayer. SCART is non-existent down under, so I've ordered a SCART->VGA box from JS Technology in the UK. I'm still waiting on that to arrive, so I haven't had a chance to test the RGB output yet.

In the meantime I've noticed that the model number is NUS-001(EUR), not (FRA) as I expected. Everything I've read tells me that these can't be RGB modded; the seller himself specified (FRA) in his description. So I'm not feeling too good about things at this stage. I don't want to take any action without testing it though.

I decided to connect it via Composite to see if it at least functioned. The picture is a barely visible ghost. The sound is fine. More reading tells me that some RGB modders alter or remove the Composite signal, so perhaps this is indicative of a normal RGB mod? I'm also waiting on a Nintendo bit so I can open the thing and see for myself.

Is it sounding normal, or smelling bad? Any advice appreciated :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Just wait and see. I've read some PAL models do contain the right chip for RGB.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

(EUR) doesn't have the chip, only (FRA)

That said, my rgb n64 is in a (EUR) case as I swapped it. The (FRA) was in bad condition, hence the swap (and cheap price!)

9. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

JS Technology's RGB scart to vga converter really rocks. I recommend it to everyone who owns a Panasonic plasma.

10. gruso

gruso Member

Still anxiously waiting for my converter from JS Tech. (Really glad to hear some feedback on that, by the way.) Cheers for the input so far. Can't wait to actually test & report back!

11. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yup, Ill take VGA out when they are finally released.

13. gruso

gruso Member

Me too.

Anyway, I finally got in for a look. It's modded alright, but... oh lordy.

[​IMG]

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

holy crap, lol

This is the type of work I have to compete with. "Pro modders", I have people who tell me their soldering is "completely fine" and I get it because my chip isnt working and it looks something like that.

If you cant solder, dont sell people stuff or complain when a part you bought didnt work - its probably not the parts fault.

So many ebay claims for stuff like that :(

/rant

(wasnt aimed at you, was just venting)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  15. gruso

gruso Member

I guess one way to give a joint mechanical strength is to melt it into the chip. :D

If it works fine when my SCART to VGA box shows up, I will seal it up and never speak of it again. Otherwise, off to a local expert to get done properly. I have a bit of soldering gear but unlike the guy who did this, I know my limits.

16. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

Wow, I literally guffawed when I saw that solder job, no wonder your N64 didn't work!

17. omp

omp Familiar Face

I looked at that pic and I wish I had a pic of myself, would havelooked like a gold fish. I hope it does work as it looks like they have used super glue to hold the wires down (notice how the surrounding stuff is white?)

18. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

At first I thought the moron seller smeared thermal compound all over the mod but I guess not.

19. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

The good part is that he used RGB wires :))

20. ApolloBoy

ApolloBoy Gutsy Member

But he loses points for stripping them way too long and not tinning them enough. :p