n64 rgb mod not centered

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by ince, May 19, 2013.

1. ince

ince Spirited Member

can anyone help me with this.

i am connecting a jpn rgb modded n64 to a plasma tv but the image is not centered and shifted left quite a bit.

is there any way to rectify this?

2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I'd imagine it'd be the TV's fault rather than the N64. Do you know which RGB mod was done to the N64? What are you using to connect it to your plasma TV?

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

IIRC this is dependant on what you are using for sync. (csync, luma, composite video)

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Turns out this is one of mine (via a mod I did for another member). I use Luma for sync, which is completely centred on all my tv's.

There was a long thread about this here, but I dont think there was ever a conclusion. As I do not have a TV to try swapping which sync is used, there is no real way for me to confirm it.

I will dig up the thread and post it here, just incase there was anything of use.

Edit:
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-quality-image&p=641356&viewfull=1#post641356

Someone saying csync causes the shifted picture, with my reply that luma has been fine on any I have tested on.

Sounds like Luma still has this issue on some tvs...

Options:

Add the resistor between luma and the TV (never needed this myself, but some people have used it - dont know if it will make any difference)

Or switch back to composite video, which doesnt work well with a lot of tvs (checkered pattern all over the picture) but will likely solve the position.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. ince

ince Spirited Member

thanks for the reply. could you help doing this for me? I am in Birmingham.

6. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Do you have by any chance a Panasonic Plasma TV? If yes, switch of the N64. Go into the TV's setup screen for the AV channel the N64 is plugged into and change the region setting from AUTO to NTSC.

7. ince

ince Spirited Member

yes it is Panasonic. I will try this thanks sanni.

8. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I have a Panasonic plasma, no problems at all here, so it might depend on the model (I don't think mine even has a region setting!)

9. ince

ince Spirited Member

this is a gt50 cant see any option to change to ntsc

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yours is an america set though, so likely defaults to prefer NTSC anyway

11. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Here is how it's on my Panasonic PX80:

- turn OFF the N64
    - Press the AV button on the remote and change to the AV channel the N64 is plugged into
    - Press the MENU button on remote
    - in the MENU choose the SETUP sub menu
    - the very first entry reads "AV Color System" and it's set to AUTO, change that to NTSC and my japanese N64 with CSYNC as sync will center correctly on my PAL TV-set

THE N64 MUST BE OFF or the option will not appear

[​IMG]

12. ince

ince Spirited Member

dont have that option in my menu

13. ince

ince Spirited Member

Can anyone tell me if a snes pal rgb scart cable and the one for a modded n64 are the same

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Snes RGB cable works fine (on all tv's I have tried it on). Gamecube one has been suggested to be more suitable by calpis in the thread I linked above (though he also said the picture should be correct without the resistors - which it isnt, its too bright).

You can test if it makes any difference on the positioning by removing the resistor between pin 18 and 20 in the scart lead or you can try a gamecube lead if you have one. Be mindful of 3rd party cables from ebay, as I have had many wired completely wrong.

15. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Uh, check my location ;)

16. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

No, you need to use an NTSC SNES RGB SCART cable for an NTSC RGB-modded N64. Here are the differences:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

A US NTSC SNES cable is the same as a most 3rd party PAL Gamecube cables (though if you have an original one, or a "correct" 3rd party one, you will need to remove the resistor and cap from the sync signal).

However, the fact the console is already NTSC makes no bearing on you needing to us a "NTSC cable", as the amp and such isnt whats originally in the console anyway. But, apparently the PAL cable is intentionally a little weird on its wiring (as per Calpis in the thread above).

However, as I have already said above - the PAL one has worked fine (with correct brightness) on all TV's I tested it with. But I am very interested to see if the resistor between pin 18 and 20 (so on sync) makes a difference to the screen alignment.

If you remove the resistors from a PAL cable (as suggested by Calpis to circuit should be) the brightness is way too bright. I didnt check with the capacitors in to see if they bring down the brightness though. As it worked with the correct brightness with the PAL cable, I just used that.

However, having resistors or caps on the RGB lines wont make any differences to the positioning anyway. But the resistor on sync never entered my mind, as its centred just fine on all the TV's I have for testing.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  18. ince

ince Spirited Member

Ok I have tested the cable I was supplied with and it produces a colour image on my pal snes which is fine and synced

19. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Open the scart lead, and remove the resistor from between pin 18 and 20, see if it solves your problem.

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Oops, I have disabled avatars and the postcount icon made me think you were someone else. I am too used to checking avatars to see who I am replying to.