N64 prototype + installation CD

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by black sheep, Sep 25, 2017.

1. black sheep

black sheep Robust Member

[​IMG]

In August we won a ebay auction for a n64 prototype that was ''non-working''.
    With the prototype we also got a installation CD + key.

A fellow Dutch retroplayer told us this is a Psy Q dev tool for programming games. The funny thing is that the software was made by Sony ?
    Anyway is this informmation correct and could this software still be used today to make N64 homebrew games ?

2. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

The software was not actually made by Sony it was made by SN Systems in Bristol.
    SN Systems made software for most major consoles, but Sony bought them so that they would only develop Sony tools.

So the company is owned by Sony now, but it was not owned by Sony back then.

Also that is not a PSY-Q development cartridge. PSY-Q was developed by Psygnoisis in Liverpool. They were also bought by Sony to become Studio Liverpool. PSY-Q dev cartridges have a connector in the side of them for connecting to a PC.
    Psygnosis make the PSY-Q SDK's.

In fact I don't think there was a PSY-Q dev cart for the N64, I think there was the SN64 instead.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. darkspire17

darkspire17 None

If you would like the prototype dumped, i could provide my services for you, ive got a BUNG doctor 64 in my possesion, if you want to PM me feel welcome, allwatys worth dumping and preserving before booting it up

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh <B>Site Supporter 2014</B><BR><B>Whole Month Spons

Security CIC-7101 PAL