N64 pirate carts

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by nesworld, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

It's completely incompatible, the PI bus has a very simple burst system probably used nowhere else for ROM. For that specific NAND you'd need a state machine to:

-latch the PI address, then shift it into the NAND.
    -edge detect a read, write the command for a page read, read until you get to the desired word, and latch the word for PI all before the read cycle is up. PI access doesn't need to be page aligned so this can get tricky, depending on the timing constraints you may have to predict/cache NAND data.

You'd need a CPLD no doubt.

2. kholdfuzion

kholdfuzion I kill consoles

Ok, so I'm needing to read up on the PI bus more then. Thanks for the info.

3. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Probably not really, the PI bus is dead simple, you should read up on computer control buses and word addressed memory vs page addressed/block memory.

4. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

Another important reason NAND isn't feasible is that any given NAND memory will have bad blocks when it's brand new, and develop more over time. This means you will need a microcontroller to map out the bad blocks and avoid them (and handle copying the data over when a block goes bad). CF and SD cards have controllers that handle this automatically. Unfortunately this makes them unsuitable to read from directly for the N64, the latency is too high.

NOR memory doesn't have this issue, all memory locations are guaranteed valid and never go bad (at least for a few thousand erases or more) and of course it is a lot more expensive and limited in size.

5. Thiago_Simoes

Thiago_Simoes Spirited Member

There was a somewhat famous cart in Brazil called Ronaldinho Soccer (or something like that). As far as I know, it's based on ISS64, but the menus are translated to Portuguese and it seems that the team roster is composed of Brazilian teams. I don't have much information to share, unfortunately, and one copy is VERY hard to find nowadays. A guy offered me one a couple of years ago for something like 20 dollars and I refused... too bad.

6. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

We never thought that hacks could become valuable in the future.
    That's too bad, honestly. :banghead:

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I have bootlegs of mario 64 and wave racer. Inside it's a blob of epoxy, no rom chip I can see like in a normal cart.

8. nesworld

nesworld Gutsy Member

9. splith

splith Resolute Member

I've got a similar GBA pirate pokemon firered cartridge, one chip inside and 2 globs.
    Are those carts reprogrammable or what? I'd be interested in finding out what's actually under the glob epoxy

10. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Have you happen to hear about the Super Smash Bros. Pirate version? with characters knocked out Blood, some stage changes (I think) & Master Hand having gore-y bloody hooks &/or chains around.

11. jd99

jd99 Newly Registered

I picked up this DN64 cart up a few weeks ago. It doesn't want to work on my PAL N64, and I don't have another region to check with. I can't find anything about this cart online and thought it might be interesting to share

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jd99

jd99 Newly Registered

13. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

Nice fine Jd99, Not seen the duke Nukem before. You'll need a import adaptor to play it on you pal n64