N64 picture quality between board revisions

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mord.Fustang, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I looked at the composite output between 2 boards... one with the VDC-NUS chip and one with the MAV-NUS chip, and noticed that the MAV-NUS was much worse. This is with using the same TV and video cables. I mean we're still dealing with composite video which isn't the best to begin with, but I was surprised to notice a difference. Anybody else noticed this?

On a side note, I did just finally do an RGB mod to my 64 and used the Retrovision SNES component cables... and that looks way better.

Edit: realized I put this in the wrong section?? Oh well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

Interesting observation. The video for that system is so appallingly bad, every little bit must help. I did the RGB mod on my old console as well and it helped quite a bit. But it still has the worst video output of any console I've ever played. Its sad.

3. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Yeah I went into it with realistic expecations. There's certain games where the upgrade is more worth it/noticeable than others. But if the textures are pixelated already in a certain game, an RGB mod won't fix that.