N64 Gameshark v3.3

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by demilich, Oct 16, 2017.

1. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

I recently got a N64 Gameshark v3.3 to run widescreen codes on my N64 games. I tested Star Wars Ep.1 Racer NTSC U with Gameshark and it loaded the cheat screen. When I try Pokemon Snap NTSC U, Gameshark does not load. I know Pokemon Snap works because I already played it without Gameshark. I don't have a lot of cartridges at the moment unfortunately to test it further. Is this a case where I need a Super Mario 64 or Donkey Kong 64 cart to reset the Gameshark cart? Also v3.3 of the Gameshark cart has a button on the right side, anybody know what that does?

My N64 is a NS238383272 and it does not have the original jumper pack. It has a Super Retro 64 Booster Pack by Retrobit. Could that be in issue with Gameshark?

Thanks

2. Prometheus

Prometheus Site supporter 2016

Some games need a keycode in order to boot. Pokemon Snap is one of them. There's a list of them here:

http://dlevere1.proboards.com/thread/207/n64-keycodes

GameShark Pro Version 3.3

Diddy Kong Racing
    1080° Snowboarding
    Kobe Bryant In NBA Courtside
    MLB Featuring Ken Griffey Jr.
    Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
    Super Smash Bros.
    Paper Mario

Pokemon Snap
    Pokemon Stadium:
    95 AC 21 BE 58 B0 4E F6 A8 80 20 10 00

So basically you need to boot the gameshark with a game that doesn't require a keycode, like Star Wars Ep.1 racer. The above code should already be on gameshark but if it's not for whatever reason you could always just add it. Then select the code and it'll tell you to turn off the N64 and boot with the required game. Then it should work.

Just try not to forget which code you used. The gameshark won't boot any other game until one of the above games is used. If you forgot you activated a keycode, you'll think the gameshark stopped working when in actuality it just won't boot without the right game.

If you have an expansion pak, the button on the right lets you do view and edit the memory. You could theoretically make you own cheat codes. The VHS that originally came with the gameshark can explain it in more detail:

3. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

Just a few minutes ago I was reading somewhere about keycodes to run certain games. I got Pokemon Snap to work with Gameshark v3.3 but then I decided to reset and the game will no longer boot with Gameshark. I tried with Star Wars Ep.1 racer but it doesn't boot up either. I'm thinking Gameshark reverted the keycode to a game I don't have? I'm guessing I need Mario World 64 or different game?

Thanks for the link!

4. Prometheus

Gamesharks are finicky and prone to error, even back when they were released. If it booted pokemon snap fine and you turned it off then any non-keycode game should work. If it's not booting try taking out the cartridge and reinserting it into the N64, or try using other games. I know with my N64 I have to reinsert the cartridge several times before most of my games actually boot.

5. darkspire17

darkspire17 None

iirc it works like some of the old NES and SNES hack devices or pirate carts, where it needs to use an official cart to pass the lockout

6. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

Does anybody know if I can play Japanese games with Gameshark on my US N64?

7. Prometheus

Yes you can. As long as it's NTSC it should work.

8. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

You mean that the Gameshark is NTSC-U?

9. Prometheus

No, I mean as long as the game you're trying to boot isn't PAL it'll work. The only reason Japanese N64 games don't work on a US console is because of the tabs in the cartridge slot preventing it from going in. If you took apart your N64 and broke off the tabs you wouldn't even need the gameshark to boot the Japanese game. But it's probably more simple for the average person to just use a gameshark instead.

10. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

for PAL cart you will need a PAL cart to piggyback on the back if the GameShark is similar to the Passport cart.

11. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

Has anybody come across issues running a Gameshark V3.3 with a game like Star Wars Ep1 Racer NTSC U or Rayman 2 NTSC U that supports an Expansion Pak?
    When I try to run it either game with Gameshark and cheats selected w/ Expansion Pak the codes do not work. With the Jumper Pak there are no issues.

12. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

Bump: Still haven't figured out this issue. I wonder if Gameshark V3.2 or previous versions still has this issue with the Expansion Pak? The issue only seems to be with games that utilize the Expansion pak for higher res or textures.

13. josiahgould

josiahgould Spirited Member

Make sure Code Generator = Off

14. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

I've tried that. I actually have to have the Code Generator = On
    Then the Gameshark code will work but the game will not utilize any advanced features like 480i.

15. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

Anybody know how to make a Gameshark code that is only activated with the small button on the cart?

Thanks