N64 Freaks 1.4GHZ Upgraded Xbox (original) Board Review

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by nigelp12345, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Gangst3r

Gangst3r Member

Yeah! Already have one of them from N64 Freak and confirm all what the nigelp12345 wrote in the first post. Console which I got from N64 Freak is very clean, all screws are in place and generally looks in excellent condition.

I orderd one with switch on the front panel to change CPU speed from 1400Mhz to normal speed (but this doesn't work for me, because in XBMC I still have the same speed which is 1398.58

But in the end this is a very good job! Thank you N64 Freak I don't regret any spent cen for it.

2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

Switch wont change the speed in XBMC. Look at the CPU usage when you hit the switch, that should double/decrease by half.

3. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

As @Borman said the switch doesn't reduce the actual cpu speed but uses the STPCLK signal to reduce the actual performance.

When you want to test it just use XBMC to play a DVD and press the black button on the controller to show the details. Once you flip the switch the cpu usage doubles!

4. Gangst3r

Gangst3r Member

It works fine I tested it morning today and it's my fault, beacuase I don't know how this exactly works. Play some games without patching and launch CoinOps with some demanding games which in case doesn't work properly on retail console, but now they work great!

I am pleased with your work and sincerely recommend to others who have not yet decided to buy one.
    People who still think about it, do not hesitate to long just take a cash and buy it - this work is a first class!!!

THANKS N64 Freak!!!

N64 freak likes this.
  5. dan.h

dan.h Active Member

Hey thanks for the offer N64 - I'm thinking Goldeneye and Supersmash Brothers - On a standard Xbox with multiple players I found it always lagged. If you're able to take a look that'd be awesome!

6. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

SSB on a trusty:

GoldenEye:X on a trusty:

Conker's BFD on a trusty:

Classic GoldenEye runs a lot better, but I don't think it made it to full speed yet. However, I will need to test the latest optimizations on a console with an upgraded CPU. My upgraded retail/debugging XBlast box spits out 30 VI/s at CounterFactor3 with 1964x11, the optimized JttL audio plugin and my 1964video fork. Best cast scenario you get double the VI/s and get fullspeed. It will need to be checked.

Also, enabling AutoCF and Auto Frameskip will give you fluid audio on a stock CPU at the cost of less emulated VI/s. VI/s will stay around 60, but less are actually emulated. AutoCF will not need to step up the CF value as often on an upgraded CPU, so this would be the ideal setting if using a plain ini entry of CF3 does not work full speed.

Also note that I am using a build of 1964x11 with ROM paging disabled to play GoldenEye..

Hope this helps.

Update: I installed a new HDD on my trusty and tested GoldenEye on it. I decided to find a more stressful part of the level to emulate. Playing the level "Runway," I get VI/s as low as 22 on a stock CPU, or on the half speed setting on a 1.4Ghz CPU. VI/s doubles to 44 with the upgraded CPU. This is using 1964 at CF3. AutoCF brings the game up to full speed, but there are closer to 15 FPS as opposed to 30-40 FPS when CF mode switches to 5.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    dan.h likes this.
  7. Gangst3r

Gangst3r Member

Surreal64, CPS1,2,3, MSX, SEGA games based on Naomi board works good, it seems to me, that's even better than on retail console but in MAME emulator (CoinOPS) some part of games from Midway run too fast what make them unplayable (I mean Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate), NBA Jam, Narc. All those that work on the Midway Engine.

I carried out already patching XBE files, but with any satisfied results. Switch to low performance causes a problem with displaying the game on my monitor screen (I hooked my console via original Microsoft component cable - second version with Optical Audio).

Tested on CoinOps 7, CoinOPS 5, CoinOPS 8, and MameOXtras v1.20 :(

Any Soutions?

8. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

Since it's more of a game specific issue, you should report it on the respective forum. You'll have a better chance talking to the developers and seeing if there are variances in using QueryPerformanceFrequency/QueryPerformanceCounter.

9. bbuchholtz

bbuchholtz Newly Registered

Sorry if I missed this... But, does this support 2TB hard drives?

-Brian

10. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

@bbuchholtz
    The 1,4ghz consoles do support 2tb drives like any other xbox does. You need to make sure to flash a bios that supports 2tb drives and use a sata to ide adapter that works in the xbox. I know off multiple 1,4ghz console users that installed 2tb drives and they work fine!

11. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Spirited Member

I sent you a pm N64 freak was just curious if this was something still available

12. mmz16x

mmz16x Spirited Member

Just a note from a fellow buyer of N64Freak boards if your determined enough you can get the fan temps to stay at 49c and under heavy load 50/51c I used really loud fans and switched to a SSD and am now running pretty cool with the board I purchased and I love it! :D

13. Leang

Leang Active Member

let know how you do this on a 1.6 board?

14. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

To be honest i never did it on a V1.6 as they only take 64mb off ram!
    It wouldn't be worth doing that on a V1.6 console in my oppinion. Otherwise it's the same steps as on every other revision!

Leang likes this.