N64 Freaks 1.4GHZ Upgraded Xbox (original) Board Review

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by nigelp12345, Apr 26, 2016.

1. nigelp12345

nigelp12345 N163LPH03N1X

So I received my test board from N64 freak a few days ago and he asked me to make a review of his board.
    First off I want to thank N64 Freak for all of his hard work and time that he has put into this for everyone, he has come a long way from a 1ghz, to a 1.4ghz, to a speed switch adapter. So here are some pictures of the board I received.

IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0338.JPG

The board I received was very clean (shiny like) all his solder points were professional. I was very excited to have this board in my possession. I want to first point out that I bought a trusty board a while back, it basically came down to where I had to scrap the board and I paid $357 CAD plus shipping for it. This was the first time I ever bought a board from trusty, when I received his board it was in really bad shape.

So while examining N64's board, he had installed a custom black heatsink on the new CPU, its a tiny bit taller than the retail but only millimeters and yes this upgraded board can be installed to a retail box! No cutting Hard drive trays or nothing, just pop it in and go. Trustys board comes with a flatter longer custom heatsink that is so long he had to solder/bend capacitors over to have it installed and where the heat sink is so thin it has a small fan bolted to the top of it. Note you have to have a cut DVD tray to use his boards.

The Temperatures of N64's Board are great it Idolizes around 58C-63C Max at 100% fan Speed, the black heat sink is specifically glued to the CPU and will not come apart, same with the GPU. The Black Clips that Microsoft had to hold down the retail heatsinks are completely removed and the CPU is not held down by Epoxy.

The Temperatures of (my) trusty board would increase until shut off its ranged from 68C-76C until it would freeze up. Nothing I did could keep this thing cool. Arctic silver 5 or trusty's thermal paste. The heatsink wasn't secured enough with springs and screws to hold it in place. The Black plastic that held the retail heatsinks was still secured but was (Cut) to fit the upgraded CPU. The CPU was held down by a black Epoxy which when hardened its almost impossible to remove.

The 128MB of ram that N64freak installed was very professional and looks retail like Microsoft did it themselves. I installed an X3 CE Chip to this board and it booted up flawlessly. When I had my trusty board I just couldn't get the chip working what so ever where I gave up and used the basic X2 TSOP that was on it.
    Now N64's Board comes with a Pre-installed TSOP as well so no worries on having a chip installed or not.

I had N64s board running for 2 days playing Homebrew, emulators, games etc. Of course you need to patch DEFAULT.XBE files to make some things run better but you had to do that with any upgraded board, even dreamX. but I had no problems with heat, freezing, conditions or work to the board. I had him install one of his Xerc 2 XE Chips to this board which is a great combo if you're looking to buy an upgraded board from him. (Xerc's cost extra)

I want to point out something on the speed switch adapter of N64's board, he has a 2 pin female connector on the adapter where you can choose to have the wire to connect to a rocker switch. The CPU always runs at full 1400MHZ until you have that rocker switch connected you can also Specify a Color of LED you want to have on the adapter. I have a transparent console which the LED shines right through which is nice (I have a cut hard drive tray though). Trusty's adapter had two wires soldered to it where you had live wires or a rocker switch which you had to tuck into the Xbox until you drill a hole in the front for it. It cant be detached unless you de-solder the wires on the adapter which risk damaging it.

So That's my review of N64's board and Trusty's board, I'm not here to tear trusty down on anything but I'm just saying he could do a better job (work and service wise). N64 Freak is a really nice guy, I've been keeping in touch with him for over a year now but I think hes still not ready to release anything yet. I don't know if he has more tweaks to get done or not, but will be soon hopefully. When he does you'll be happy with his work and his efforts to build you a great board you'll be happy to receive in the mail like I was.

Thanks for Reading

N163LPH03N1X

IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0335.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Thank you for this. I had/have the same issues with the Trusty board, and you may have just sold me on a @N64 freak board in the near-ish future.

3. BBSreaper

BBSreaper Member

I'm throwing my wallet at the screen but nothing happening. Its funny I was just emailing trusty and I decided to wait till I got a version 1.0 xbox board(the ones made in hungry). Then I saw this which made my day. @N64 freak any update when you ever could do upgrades like this for the public? or is it more like Valve time?

4. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Won't be long till i can offer them to anyone. Found a good heatsink solution and everything else is also working fine!
    I would have preffered not to glue down the cpu and gpu heatsinks but in the end that's the solution to have the best cooling.

I got a few more cpus and boards here i only need to find the time to upgrade them (takes an awefull amount off time!).
    nigelp12345 was the one who pushed me to finally finish the 1.4ghz upgrade so i need to finish his order before i can offer the consoles to anyone. But it won't be long anymore as i already ordered the next heatsinks so i can finish up a few more!

Just as a note to anyone i'm only updating boards i have here not a board you ship to me!
    Had so many problems with my local customs office and boards arriving with unrepairable corrosion... Not gonna go through all that ever again!

5. jjona5

jjona5 Spirited Member

Thanks for the review! Harder and harder to say no!

6. BBSreaper

BBSreaper Member

"Just as a note to anyone i'm only updating boards i have here not a board you ship to me!
    Had so many problems with my local customs office and boards arriving with unrepairable corrosion... Not gonna go through all that ever again!"

With that being said do you have a version 1.0 board then?

7. IntelMiner

IntelMiner Member

Have you tried throwing something more heavy duty like Surreal 64 at it to see how it handles? The Xbox makes a fantastic emulation machine, except it seems to chug on some "bigger" N64 games due to lack of memory and CPU (which is to be expected given the age of the console of course)

Daytime Dreamer likes this.
  8. nigelp12345

nigelp12345 N163LPH03N1X

Emulators work great just need to patch the default.XBE for the type of CPU your running. N64 might still glitch out on a few games but it runs good. the emulator isn't perfect to begin with. This is the patcher I use. http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrodw3aeay2u4oj/XBEPatcher.zip I uploaded the file for who ever wants it, this will patch Trustys 1ghz, 1.4ghz and DreamX and 128mb ram but will work with N64's Corresponding CPUs

Edit: I forgot to add if you have a speed switch adapter you may not need to patch the files its only for running the CPU at full capacity :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    GoTeamScotch and Daytime Dreamer like this.
  9. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

Very nice, N64Freak! I really like the female connector on the speed switch. I ended up putting a plug on my trusty's speed switch to allow for easy tear down.

10. tkeely4777

tkeely4777 Rapidly Rising Member

I have my money ready and waiting to pick up one of these.

11. Nidge

Nidge Spirited Member

Is it possible to fit a speed switch to the 1ghz CPU?

12. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Easy answer? No.

Long answer: Basically you could if you would built up an adapter like the one for the 1.4ghz upgrade with a few modifications...

13. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

what price would a V1.4 be?

14. mmz16x

mmz16x Spirited Member

i 2nd LeHaM on a price im drooling and about to buy a 128mb 1.0 my 3rd lolz soon too :D

15. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

An upgraded board costs 210€.
    The revision off the console does not make any difference as it's the same amount off work needed to upgrade them.
    I can offer a couple off them in 3 weeks so you don't have to wait for too long anymore!

16. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Put up a V1.1 that's upgraded to 1,4ghz in the marketplace. You'll find it in my for sale thread!

17. mmz16x

mmz16x Spirited Member

as long as either theiND or x2 5035 is used im all game and cant wait to place a order :)

18. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

19. dan.h

dan.h Active Member

Great review &pictures - really shows of n64's level of work. Have you tried 2-4 player n64 games with this?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  20. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

@dan.h: Is there a special emulator and game you want tested?
    I would compare it on one off my 1,4ghz upgraded ones to a retail console. Just drop me a PM and i can get them tested for you!