N64 Finally getting a decent controller

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Aug 10, 2017.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

[X] Xbone bumpers
    [X] PS4 triggers
    [X] Proper Dpad size/easy positioning
    [X] Some good buttons
    [] Octagonal Stick

One single thing missing for this and it's the octagonal stick.

3. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

Yeah, the lack of octagonal gate around the joystick seems like a bit of a deal breaker.

I never really had a problem with the original N64 controller in terms of usage - yeah, the design was odd for sure, but I never found it to be a hindrance when playing. I'd probably replace a failed stick in a stock controller before I'd move to a new design, though I wouldn't mind at least trying this new design, lack of proper gate aside.

4. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

The stick can make or break this. I can deal with the fact that it doesn't have a proper restrictor gate, but if it has dead zones this thing will bomb.

Digmac likes this.
  5. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I assume it'll use the same type of analog stick from their NES controller, which from what I hear in reviews is very good.

Actually, A lot of people are using their NES Controller as their standard now. So take that how you will.

6. Marmotta

Marmotta Intrepid Member

I backed for two plus international shipping, so basically $30 each. I backed it on the strength of the many positive reviews of their NES pad, but I do hope they have time to add an octagonal gate before the design gets sent for tooling and many backers have already mentioned it in the comments. Can't wait to play some Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party with these.

7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

The NES controller is a solid piece of hardware. Feels way more durable than the SNES controller and less convoluted than the N64 controller. Also am I the only one who thinks this controller is basically a GC controller?

8. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Even though I love the N64 (my favourite console ever, and I still play on it several times a week) I never liked the official N64 joypad. So I looked around for better (to me) joypads, and fortunately discovedred the Mako Pad 64 (or Makopad 64), which is simply the transparent version of the Superpad 64, and it's fantastic; due to the redesign (it has two prongs, not three, unlike the official N64 controller) all controls and buttons are accessible without you moving your hand, unlike the official N64 pad.

For a review, see:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=4776&t=7186633

Sadly the photos aren't displaying at the moment, but the review is of the Super Pad 64, the Makopad 64 is the exactly the same but with AUTO-FIRE and SLOW DOWN buttons, and is transparent instead of black.

I've had mine for more than seventeen years or so, and it's still as responsive now as it ever was - I've hammered it with Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., and countless other N64 classics. The analogue stick is made of metal, unlike the official controller, so it has not yet even started to wear away.

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/015814

Or see the video at:

Sadly, you'll probably have to look through ebay, local newspapers, or local secondhand shops to find a Makopad 64 nowadays, but of course that's true of all N64 stuff. And the Makopad 64 comes in two types, the Makopad 64 which is transparent and has a couple of "cheat" switches (Slowdown and Autofire, I think - I've never used them), and an opaque black version called the Superpad 64, which lacks the cheat switches. The back opaque version of the Makopad 64 is called the Superpad 64, see the review at:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7186633/1/#new

(it's the top right hand controller on the first photograph).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. takeshi385

Backed regardless. For 20 bucks I'm intrigued.

10. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Spirited Member

Well, I see it as a great amalgamation of wavebird and 360 controller.
    Now, as long its going to be durable like their jab gamepad, and the analogue stick proves to be hardy enough for games like Mario party, they got an instant success.
    I'd like to see if they're plan to include a vibration function in their USB counterpart, obviously having to use a N64 would be lame.

11. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

...I like the N64 controller...
    One of the first things I noticed when we first rented a 64 with Wave Race, was how comfortable the controller is. The one handed control that works well in that game is great and feels balanced in the hand.
    Yeah it looks kind of retarded, but damn is it a well designed controller. (well, minus the way the sticks wore out)

12. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

Looks very interesting! I honestly don't mind the original N64 controller, I like it a lot. It worked really well for those games. That being said, this could be neat too, however, I agree with many of the comments above, the control stick could be a deal breaker. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

13. Galdius

Galdius Enthusiastic Member

Just found out about it and have backed it.
    The shipping was the same price as the controller but I didn't mind.
    Hope it's good.

14. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I backed it as soon as I heard of it. I've been using a Superpad 64, which is better, but I'm hoping this is a perfect solution (that doesn't involve shelling out $150 for a Horipad).

15. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

Have you guys ever used the Hori N64 controller? that's actually very nice and way better than the official Nintendo controller. Lovely thumb stick on it too.

16. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Would love a hori one but there way to expensive now.

17. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

We can't take 4 controllers on the KS ?

$20 for shipping Oo.

18. takeshi385

The hori controller is nice but, it is too small for my hands.

19. d123456

d123456 Site Supporter 2015

Yes, I was looking for that too. I was looking for 4.
    Or try one now and later order 3 extra.
    Strange that they did not think about this.

20. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

It's in the FAQ on the kickstarter page. Just pledge $20 more per additional controller you want.