N64 DD 01 Error

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by MikeLyons27, Jan 19, 2017.

1. MikeLyons27

MikeLyons27 Member

Hello all! I have been a long time lurker on the site, and I am in need of some help! I purchased a broken N64 DD off eBay and i was hoping to repair it. I have been working on it for the last two weeks with no luck. I cannot find much info on it, and I am not fluent in Japanese so I am stuck. I have been documenting my troubleshooting and hope to upload it to youtube once it is fixed and working to help other people out there. I have been getting the 01 error on the console. I have tried every disk I own and I get the same issue. All I know about the error is what was put up on N64dd.org, "N64 disk drive may have been broken down, or Disk may be bad."

When I put a disk in, It seems like it is trying to read the disk. I opened the console and the drive is engaging and trying to read the disk. It looks like another youtuber is having the same issue, but he didn't provide any answers. Since the n64 dd is an aging console, and there isn't much info on it. This might become more of an issue in the future. Anyone out there willing to help or suggest on things to try?

2. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

3. MikeLyons27

MikeLyons27 Member

Hello Goodtofufriday,
    It sounds like it is engaging when putting in the disk. I made a video on whats going on. any suggestions would be awesome. the error is shown at 20:17

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Spirited Member

I'm not familiar with the 64DD at all but it definitely seems something is out of place. Does the drive has any switches or do you know if the previous owner removed anything? This reminds me of a FDD that I once had , it had to be perfectly aligned in order to read.

Also beware, If I'm not mistaken those are magnetic disks just like early floppies. Bad drives can corrupt good disks too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  5. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Does it work with other disks?
    If so, I had a copy of Talent studio that had filth on its platter that would give a 01 error after boot. I ended up using 90 percent alcohol and a qtip to remove the smudge that was on the platter afterward it worked.

6. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

I also had a buggered one, different set of error codes though (it would display one of three).

In its case, the ribbon on the left--the one that feeds into the disk tray, below where the disk rests--came loose and needed to be fit back in. Worked fine after that. Of course, had to disassemble the whole drive tray to get that blasted thing in there. At the least, if you look in the tray it will be obvious if it isn't fit snuggly where it belongs.

Do try another disk though. There's a possibility the one you have is buggered up.
    If you have a flashcart, leoulx has some diagnostic tests just for the drive in addition to disk r/w tests. Hopefully there isn't a problem with the drive controller itself.

7. MikeLyons27

MikeLyons27 Member

Thank you guys for your replies. I have tried all of my disks. I have 5 games, and all of them do the same thing.

Zoinkity - thanks for the suggestion on the leoulx diagnostic. I do have an EverDrive64! I will try that tonight when I get home from work! Are there any other diagnostic tools out there that I am not aware of?

I will also try and reseat the white cable. It is really difficult to get to without taking the ENTIRE drive apart. so I will try and do that as a last resort.

The previous owner of the n64DD said that he bought it in Japan about 10 years ago, and it worked fine. Then he tried to use it a couple of months ago and he got the 01 error.

I will try and document the entire process to help other people in the future..

8. rama

rama Gutsy Member

It's a magnetic disk drive, right?
    If it's comparable to floppy drives, those regularly have issues with:
    - electrolytic capacitors for the motors
    - read / write head dirt and oxidation buildup
    - any kind of rubber belts

9. MikeLyons27

MikeLyons27 Member

Got my n64DD working! The read/write head was stuck! I made a video on what I did...

Thank you guys for your suggestions and input! I am off to play the fzero expansion kit that I have been wanting to play for almost 16 years!! whooo!

Shane Battye and Gilgamesh like this.
  10. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

that sounds almost like what happened with my old Green Debug station. Upon powering on it won't read the disc so after fiddling I moved the laser module up and down and viola! it worked ever since. :)