N64 Controller Solutions

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Nubcake, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Nubcake

Nubcake Member

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/any-solution-for-n64-analog-sticks.37361/

I didn't want to bump this thread from the dark ages but I think it needs an update.

I just watched about 45 mins of YouTube videos (god help me) and there are a ton of conflicting reports. Also lots of annoying people with Youtube channels these days...

Seems like these are the options:

Replacement Gamecube-style joystick
    Replacement N64-style joystick
    Raphnet GameCube to N64 Adapter

Does anyone here have experience with both of the replacement joysticks? I'd trust a mature forum member's word much more than some bumbling youtube idiot's... Also it seems like every review has experience with one but not the other.

I think the GC adapter would obviously be best if you don't care about using original hardware or any of the accessories like Transfer Pak etc. But I'm wondering, if you needed to use an N64 controller, if it's better to get the modified GameCube-style joystick or the original N64 one. I know the N64 controller and the joystick in particular gets a lot of hate but I don't remember them being that bad. But the GC controller is my favorite of all time, and using a knockoff GC analog stick seems like a big upgrade for the N64.

My 4 N64 controllers have seen better days. I frequently play Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party 1-2-3 with a full house so I'd like to get some good replacements. I do have GC controllers in good condition (and they're still available new) but I also use Save and Transfer Paks quite often...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edit: ah crap I forgot to add a poll. darn.

2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Hori made some Japanese-exclusive N64 controllers that resemble the GC ones. Has all buttons and a GC-style analog stick. It might have support for accessories but I'm not too sure on that. Sadly, it's rare and expensive nowadays.

3. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I have the hori pad n64, the raphnet adapter and many other controllers, I have spent countless hours soldering and working at finding the best solution and what I have found is that a modded lodgenet controller is the best by far. precise thumbstick and it has the shape of a n64 controller,,, its perfect.

4. Nubcake

Nubcake Member

yeah, that's way out of my price league.

i will have to look into the lodgenet ones. would you mind listing your preferences after lodgenet (and ignoring the hori pad as it's ridiculously expensive lol)

5. takeshi385

keep in mind if you have soldering equipment you can build a lodgenet modified n64 controller for about 40 bucks(worth it)(for more info click) . I guest if we exclude hori i would list them this way. (keep in mind these are all the controllers I personally own.)
    Lodgnet modded

Raphnet gamecube adapter( games that involve c pad use cstick,, no memory card)
    superpad 64/mako pad (they're the same controller really) (the shape takes some getting use to)
    peak condition oem controller
    n64 with 3rd party thumbstick replacment (has dead zones)
    glove controller(kills your wrist)
    A final thought, the lodgnet controllers thumbstick is very well reinforced it will last a while, like I said best controller.
    Be aware there are 2 versions of the lodgenet controller for the mod get the one with the thumbstick used in the thread.

Nubcake likes this.
  6. Xaranar

Xaranar Rapidly Rising Member

I personally use a Hori Mini Pad, though I found the thumbstick on it to be a little too loose, and there was a sizeable dead zone in the middle. I like my analogue sticks to have a little more resistance, personally, so I got one of those N64 GameCube style replacement analogue sticks and desoldered the mechanism from the board. It's a little smaller than the one in the Hori Mini but the cap fits on it perfectly, so I just bent the pins a little to make it fit on the board for the Hori Mini, and soldered it in place. Now, it's perfect.

TLDR: Hori Mini with GameCube N64 stick soldered to it.

7. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

8. Itxi

Itxi Active Member

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

I have 4 controller with this, to put it simply the result is amazing.

The only problem is diagonal aiming and there is a fix for that (results in slightly over-sensitive controls but it's only active if you hold down a certain button when turning the console on)

9. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

I bought a Gamecube Style stick at $10 for one. Was happy with the result. But I don't have Smash Bros or Mario 64 to fully test it. My only game is a platformer that uses the Dpad.

10. takeshi385

Yah been wanting to try this since all it is a gamecube style stick replacement without deadzones, but this fool is always out.

Nubcake likes this.
  11. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

Well there is another solution.
    You can replace the gears inside the joystick and put some lubricant in there. We have around 35 n64 joysticks lying around for a gaming party/event in zwolle (Netherlands). We have replaced around half of the gears by now. Most controllers start working fine again. You can hardly beat the price of 0.75 dollar a joystick. Some of the joysticks we need to fill the bowl a bit up with epoxy to get em working again.
    http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears

Helder likes this.
  12. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

That is always what ends up breaking or making the control stick loose and unresponsive. Shit I used to use a lighter to soften the plastic then squeeze them in a bit so the track was tighter and it helped a bit but having these available is all you need to fix 90% of the stick issues.

13. takeshi385

Update: I bought one of gamecube style thumbsticks off ebay and it seem they have gone through another revision, first the thumbstick actually has a rubber grip on it now like a gamecube thumbstick, second I am not feeling any deadzones. Upon further investigation the board looks completely different than any other revision and the actual thumbstick part goes to 103 like our friend micro's board. I will be posting pics when I get time and seeing if I can do the spin attack in oot and if so it gets a pass. I should note that the precision of the stick is exactly the same as the lodgenet stick, so at this point i am looking for flaws, haven't found one yet though..

14. Noko Bombette

Noko Bombette Active Member

How do you know that you are buying the revised version? (in the ones I've seen in ebay it is not specified)

15. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

I think this is a new one. The picture matches his description. Of course, you could still get an old one.. Price seems fair. Could be a bit cheaper, but it is not excessive. If it is a good replacement, then it is a good price.

I might give the new revision a try. I wonder how a good GC style thumbstick compares to an original N64 thumbstick. The thumbstick on the N64 is really unique imo and it gives very precise controls.

16. takeshi385

Sorry I have been sick, but here the stick. Also I still haven't tested the it on oot but it has worked flawlessly on everything else. the thumbstick says 103 and 388 on the side. The board look very cheap compared to the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also here is where I bought it (click).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  17. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

It is unfortunate that they seem to mix new style and old style analog stick images. The second and fifth image are from the old and bad version. It seems to indicate that they might send you the old revision.

Were you expecting to receive one of the old revisions when you ordered, just so you could fix it with Micro's pcb?

I am very interested in hearing how OoT performs by the way. :)

18. Olschoolgamer

Olschoolgamer Spirited Member

I have 4 of micro's PCB's in my controllers, they work flawlessly. From my understanding he won't do another batch but plans to release the files soon so people can program them themselves.

19. takeshi385

fifth image?

20. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

In the eBay auction.

It seems the stick is made by Hyperkin. Or is the previous revision of the GC stick by Hyperkin as well?

Edit: It seems it is. And for the new one they also confirm that it works with GoldenEye. I guess you now need to be careful that you receive the right revision, when you order one.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015