N64 Controller Replacement joystick not fitting?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Cyber Akuma, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Rising Member

I ordered a replacement Joystick for my N64 controller, specifically this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOXED-ORIG...r-for-NINTENDO-64-N64-Controller/171333000204

And it doesn't seem to fit! I can't close the back cover, something (I think the tabs that hold the Z button in place) are hitting against the back cover. From what I have seen, everyone seems to just re-sell the same joystick design. Is this a common issue? Is there any fix? Or are there different replacement joysticks and some are better than others? Everything seemed to have the same packaging so I assumed they were all the exact same.

2. VaNDAL

VaNDAL Rising Member

There are several types out there. I've not seen the one your linking above though! Looks like it has potentiometer and a converter board.
    Personally I wouldn't douch them.

This is the one I would buy:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Par...624283?hash=item2395c5cf9b:g:OUMAAOSwnVhaO3HS
    However there is an alternative, fix your stick. As long as the X & Y cages inside arn't worn too much you can reburbish them to neer perfect working condition. See my Video below.

3. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Rising Member

I see, so there are different types. Is there any type of guide or list or whatever so I can see all the different types? Any places known to sell specific types? The issue with buying ones from China like you one you linked is that they take like 1-2 months to arrive.

4. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I know this is a little older of a thread, but that eBay link is dead. Which are the ones you'd recommend and do they function just as an original would? Seems to be hard to find a "perfect" replacement.

5. VaNDAL

VaNDAL Rising Member

N64 Joystick Permanent Fix & Refurbish New Parts Cheap