N64 Audio Development Guide - PDF Scan

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by Gerry_MAN, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Gerry_MAN

Gerry_MAN N64 Hardware Fanatic

Hi Folks,

Well, I've been continuing on with my N64 Development adventures....
    Trying to seek out new N64 Development hardware to work on.

I recently started to look into the Audio Development side of the N64.

So now....
    Some of you may know that there is an N64 "Sound Tools" Development Cart. I have been hunting around for one...and I'm still hoping to find one eventually and possibly trade some of my other N64 Dev gear for one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've shown several different pieces of N64 Dev gear that I've acquired to this point, so to those that have one of these...keep in mind that a trade is something I'm open to. Like for a fully functional "Intelligent Systems IS-VIEWER64" if that is of interest.

In any case...
    I started to look into seeing what I could find in terms of Documentation and also other Dev hardware.

Do you guys remember when I was hunting for the PARTNER-N64 User Guide ?
    Do you remember that image that I posted of the PARTNER-N64 development cartridge with it's manual?
    This was the one that was on Display at the National Video Game Museum in Texas USA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As show here in the images below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look closely.... there is a Unique N64 Development Guide that is visible in the background in these images. That manual is the "N64 Audio Development Guide".

I initially thought that this might be a manual to accompany the N64 Sound Tools Development cartridge.
    However, I've recently learned that this in not the case. This particular manual has specific procedures and also source code examples that demonstrate how to setup and initialize the N64 console for producing Music and or Sound Effects.

So I was determined to try and get a hold of this manual. So I figured I had nothing to loose....and so I wrote a long email to the National Videogame Museum in Texas USA. I wanted to see if they would consider scanning this manual for the N64 Development community.

I described the Dev community here at Assemblergames and also online. With many ongoing development projects, for Custom development tools...and also Homebrew games. Chat rooms dedicated to N64 Development.... Like #n64dev on IRC with all the Guru's, and many more members on Discord...etc.

I also sent a few Pictures of my Electronics Lab....LOL and also talked about my dedication to preservation, and also to try and grow interest within the N64 development Community.

[​IMG]

I guess they were impressed. Because not too long after during that week...I was contacted by "Sean Kelly" the Videogame History Museum Director @ The National Videogame Museum 1.0 in Frisco, Texas USA!!

[​IMG]

He told me that he would have the manual removed from Display, and get it scanned for us.
    The N64 Development community!! :cool: WOW!!!
    How Awesome is THAT!!

I just received the "N64 Audio Development Guide" scanned to PDF this evening. I have sent it off to Level42 to have it added to all the other N64 related documents on the http://ultra64.ca/ website.
    I hope you all can enjoy this fantastic addition to our archive.
    Thanks to the National Videogame Museum USA!!

Cheers! Everyone!
    -Gerry

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Logi26, Zant, Gilgamesh and 4 others like this.
  2. level42

level42 Spirited Member

As much as we owe thanks to Sean and The National Videogame Museum, I'd like to thank @Gerry_MAN again, for all his hard work and dedication to this whole community.

This is a fantastic addition to the archives, and it wouldn't have been possible without you guys. Thanks again @Gerry_MAN, and The National Videogame Museum :)!

3. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Amazing achievement, well done, really!

4. Gerry_MAN

Gerry_MAN N64 Hardware Fanatic

You can check out this video that Describes and shows what the Museum is all about, and also how it all came together.

The three Founders are Joe Santulli, Sean Kelly and John Hardie.

Pretty Cool!
    Cheers!
    -Gerry

Gilgamesh likes this.