N64 40 Winks dumped and released

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by gorgyrip, Jan 29, 2008.

1. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

Very slowly.

2. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

It shouldn't be THAT slow, even if it uses nibble-mode and software handshaking. Dumping games on a Gameshark is very similar to cheat-finding, you interrupt the game and dump memory, but from the cartridge area instead of work RAM.

3. darkportrait

darkportrait Spirited Member

hmmmm.... i really never knew that they held that much information! but then after you dump the rom how do you connect it to computer? serial cable i presume? but hey thats cool i have a n64 gameshark i gotta try that some day! if someone could give me some information (in detail) on how to do this it would be really appreciated!

4. Ed the Nerd

Ed the Nerd <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

i would like to know this also :nod:

5. Mugi

Mugi Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

Genre: Fantasy Adventure (N64)
    Publisher: GT Interactive
    Developer: Eurocom
    Release Date: July 00 [North America]
    Also Available On: PSX

url: http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/N64/40winks/

seems that it has a release date listed atleast. there's no mention of it being cancelled.

6. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Has anyone finished the entire game to see if there are any obvious flaws? Someone who can at least confirm it *seems* finished?

I wish "FoxZero" would have at least put up a picture of his promo box...

7. Franklint

Franklint Active Member

I'd be more than happy to play through/hunt for glitches in the game, as long as whoever has it currently will sell it to me! I'd only get around to it if I had the cartridge, considering I have massive amounts of N64 ROMs (all legal, of course). Someone hook me up!

Cheers,
    Franklint

8. nesworld

nesworld Gutsy Member

Hehehe, this one really made my day, thanks :)

9. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Holy thread-resurrection, Batman!

I'm pulling a little bit of thread necromancy on this one here now, but I recently dug up a set of reviews of this game by accident (and did some poor scans)

As I've said before, I'm still really skeptical about the whole thing about this title going entirely unreleased. The two reviews I dug up are from issues of Nintendo Official Magazine (UK, probably) from the same month as the game's release and the other is an issue of N64 from the month AFTER the game's release (both list the same 26th of November release date, which matches up with the "fall/late 1999" description someone gave earlier in this thread when they too seemed to recall having seen this in circulation)

Anyway: Post on Lost Levels
    (find yourself my lovely links to some oversized poor scans in that thread/post)

Now, seeing as these two magazines had all sorts of extra heads up notes about various "good to know" stuff, I'm fairly certain that a post-review issue (in NOM's case) would've mention that the title didn't get published (so if someone has a December 1999, or evt. a January 2000 issue, find me that note that says it's canceled/postponed). Same goes for N64, which had the review on print in their post-release December 1999 issue. Unless their December issue is a November issue in disguise, one would think they'd have received the "Hey, know the game we just sent you? Yeah! That'll be the only copy of it! Enjoy your 4 wasted pages of review space!" memo.

Both reviews are also pretty favorable, but, yeah maybe they just both wrote their November/December issues back in early October or something... what do I know. Anyway, if you've got January 2000 of N64, look for a cancellation note if you can. 'cause only if I see some of those I'll believe that this game just wasn't largely ignored by the public with access to dumping equipment back then and evt. only available in limited supplies, maybe rental only, or whatever.

I've been somewhat right on these weird hunches before, but it doesn't mean I have to be right everytime... I'm just saying I've still got the feeling that I've seen this game in its N64 form on shelves "somewhere" and even probably had a hands on with it at a display kiosk or something.

If anyone's played the rom a bit too much; have fun comparing things to what's in those reviews, though :nod:

10. Franklint

Franklint Active Member

Hey, what can I say? I love helping out the community... :icon_bigg

As for the released/unreleased debate, I can see it turning into a huge video gaming controversy similar to Luigi being in Super Mario 64.

Just how small of a release do you believers suggest the N64 version of 40 Winks had? As has been said countless times before, even a game released only in a single country is going to have some box scans or pics of the cart or something, after all these years. If the game's distribution was so limited that not a single copy of it has turned up on eBay in nearly a decade, it's obviously rare enough to be the equivalent of unreleased and therefore a dump is just as impressive as that of any other prototype game.

40 Winks certainly seems to be one of the games that came the closest to release before being canned, compared to other scrapped games. The completed ROM, the countless reviews and hyping and a few small (obviously either concept art or fan-made) box shots around the place no doubt heighten people's memories, memories which are almost certainly of the PlayStation version (or whatever other console this did make it to).

I visited the original official 40 Winks website through the Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org/web/20020718202753/http://40winks.gtgames.com/), but unfortunately Archive.org doesn't back up images, so I couldn't find a way to tell which platforms the official site says the game came out on. Perhaps someone can find some other proof there?

I'm all for speculation, but, believers, I wouldn't vest too much in finding a retail release any time soon.

Cheers,
    Franklint

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  11. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Given all the attention it's had here - and it's been quite a while now - nobody has come forward with a retail copy. The folks here stretch across the globe so you'd have thought at least 'someone' would have unearthed it (had it been released)

When I first read this thread in the beginning - and followed it for a few pages - I came away thinking it had been released somewhere. Revisiting it after all this time, my guess is that it never came out. This thread is over a year old now... I think? (yeah, I'm too lazy to look!)

Just a thought, but has anyone here tried to contact anyone who worked on the game? The distributor? etc...

12. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Zombie.
    I was scrounging my old NP mags for some info on the Millennium 2000 controller and found some pages on this game.

First note: My scanner seems to have lost it's functionality, so these are just 7.2 megapixel camera shots. Still very readable.
    Second note: The first 7 shots are just of a 7-page review/tips. The next is the end-of-magazine quantitative review. Those were all from the January 2000 issue of Nintendo power.
    The last shots are from December/Holiday 1999, the first of which claims it would be released in Winter of 2000, the second is just stating that it would be in the next issue (nothing special, figured I'd include it for good measure).

Here's a bit of a kicker: the Winter 2000 quote must be a typo. In the January 2000 issue, the same "Release Forecast" section contains a lot of the same games (but more), like Battlezone 64 and 1942 for GB and such under a "Winter 1999" heading.
    Most importantly, 40 Winks has disappeared from the list! (I'd have shot this as well, but wasn't sure if there was a point). It had not moved down to Spring 2000 or "Future" either. It's gone.
    AND THIS, again is the issue that has the 7-page strategy article on the game! So something happened there.

Of course, there's no mention in the Release Forecast of February or March 2000. I haven't read the entirety of either issue, but I doubt there's any mention. Nothing in the Player's Pulse (Q&A) section, at least, either.

Oddly, there's still a Winter 1999 section of Release Forecast (though it gets smaller) in the March 2000 issue. Heh? Release stuff in the past, eh? Well, as I always say: it doesn't really matter WHEN you use a time machine.

As a side-note, they seemed pretty stoked about Daikatana. Hahahahaha! I was, too. I was, toooo.

---

Enjoy, if there's anyone who cares. :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZXSO2JK
    12.2MB .zip, jpegs inside.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  13. black sheep

black sheep Robust Member

want to hear a real good joke

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

boxart exposed,what would the winner have gotten.

14. black sheep

This was a secret eye test,you passed.
    funny as hell when i found this in a old magazine.

Sorry for the bad picture.
    On a more serieus note,first time 40 winks boxart exposed?

15. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

i really wonder what the winners got now...

16. KR155E

KR155E Virtual Guy

17. black sheep

I also have a review and preview of the game AND commercials in magazines showing games you could buy and 40 winks is there.

18. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

19. KR155E

KR155E Virtual Guy

I guess its previous owner did post some then. :) I don't remember where exactly I got the pics from, maybe Yahoo Japan.

Please post what you have. :)

20. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Previous owner's pics?

And is it known the ROM didn't come from a proto cart? I'm surprised no one can even track down the person who dumped it and get a pic of the cart to once and for all show it didn't in fact come from some sort of retail release cartridge.