N-Gage Prototype?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by alexcbrookes, Feb 23, 2017.

1. alexcbrookes

alexcbrookes Member

Hey all,
    So I got this at a flea market recently for £10, and even as a collector of the N-Gage I can not find out much about it. I expected it to be nothing more than than a Chinese knock-off case, but after further inspection, it seems to all be genuine hardware, and there are even no LED's behind the buttons with no transparent plastic - Leading me to believe the face plate is also genuine and not some after-market junk. It also came with a couple of games with "Not for sale" written on them, which as I understand are press-release games.
    Apologies for the low quality images.

Attached Files:

2. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

Don't know much about prototype phones but I know Nokia prototypes should have a sticker saying prototype. It might be an internal model or a repair job as normally there's a sticker.

What IMEI shows? *#06# should show it.

I know an N-Gage prototype was on ebay a year or so back for £100 and remember that had a sticker saying proto on it.

3. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Most prototypes are demo units and do have a sticker. There are different color NGages though, with white being one of them.

4. alexcbrookes

alexcbrookes Member

What I find most odd is that there are buttons "missing" with no transparent plastic icons. There is also no LED on the board underneath. Very strange...

5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Prototypes usually have stickers on them, if they are pre production they'll usually say somewhere they're not for resale because they haven't passed proper FCC (etc) inspections.

Does it look like stickers have been removed? Looks awfully clean in those (small) photos where the stickers would be.

6. alexcbrookes

alexcbrookes Member

It does kind of look like some sticker has been removed, there is a slight "outline" of sorts. There is also no indentation where the sticker would go in a standard N-Gage.

7. alexcbrookes

alexcbrookes Member

I'll give it a go and report back. The battery it came with is completely dead so I'll have to charge it for a little while first. Haven't ever powered it on yet.

8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

If its a demo unit, the battery itself may be fine, but demo units really dont run off of battery so they turn off seconds later

9. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

First of all - all N-Gage Demo Units have already retail hardware and looks like normal N-Gages. just w/o GSM Module. Also this unit have already full size SiM connector holder - early N-Gage Protos have ripperd one:
    [​IMG]
    Show me normal images of front/back size incl. games (here on in PM). Also U can turn off front panel and keypad (it's easy - see YouTube how) and make few pics. of internal front side and keypad back side. Will try to say more. :)
    Also abt' battery any Proto marks on it?
    [​IMG]

10. rso

rso °

TIL there's apparently collectors even in the field of friggin' batteries... :eek:

11. DirkDagger

DirkDagger Robust Member

I'm too deep in NGE)
    15 years soon in 2018)
    So, yes, have even Proto batteries/headphones/usb and other various stuff.
    [​IMG]