My Small Dev Collection

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by Logi26, May 13, 2014.

1. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Holy shit.

2. The-Silmarillion

The-Silmarillion Spirited Member

Crikey, the TOOL is a big fatty.

Can you play retail UMDs on the H1500?

Looks like the sensor bar prototype for Gamecube, too. ArsTechnica had a story about that a little while back and now it's popped up here!

3. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

Yes I believe it can, but I cannot remeber.

All of those Youtubers and bloggers that jumped on the story when the set sold on Yahoo Japan have no idea what they are talking about. Like many of them, ArsTechnica said "The previously unrevealed remote controller, which sold at Yahoo Auctions".

But the controller was not unrevealed, I posted info and about it 2 years earlier:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/revolution-proto-dev-controllers.61854/

There were also a couple of other discussions regarding the controller on this forum. The bloggers just did not bother to do any research, but felt qualified to talk about it anyway.

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I noticed the controller ports on the DTL-H1202 are black. This was a PAL only thing that happened right?
    @TriMesh do you know what the deal is or am I on point

5. Logi26

Yes, I have seen about 5 or 6 different systems with the black ports and they where all PAL, I have not seen this on any other region. Of course not all PAL systems have the black ports, just a small number of systems with late serial numbers.

It is beleived that Sony simply had leftover ports from Net Yaroze units and maybe not enough green ports, so they just stuck them on a bunch of PAL debugging systems, probably some of the last systems to be shipped.

I would also like to know if @TriMesh has any info on these.

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Yeah that's what I had understood some time back. I assume it was part of the plastic just being brittle or the quantity they produced was insufficient so they just went to something they had extra stock with (Net Yarozes). They look cool at least.

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I've only ever seen them with black controller ports as the DTL-H1202 PAL version, and I'm pretty sure they are reworked PAL Yarozes. I've opened a number of them up, and there are residues from two areas of rework on the board - one is the mechacon chip, which is standard for debugs, and the other is the NTSC reference clock for the GPU, which appears to have been installed at one point, and then removed. This would be also be the case if the board had been converted from NTSC, but the soldering on the PAL oscillator and the boot ROM look original - so it must have originally been a PAL board with both oscillators fitted, and the only model that was like that was the DTL-H3002 Yaroze. Couple that with the black controller ports and the fact that the CIB version I had also had those black textured Yaroze controllers with it, the obvious conclusion is that SCEE had a bunch of left-over Yaroze machines and they reworked them into debugs.

Logi26, Durandal and PixelButts like this.
  8. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Thanks for the explanation

9. Logi26

Thank you for the info.

I was always under the impression that these were just regular DTL-H1202 units with the Yaroze ports fitted.
    It is very interesting to learn that these are actually Yaroze systems with the NTSC refrenece clock removed and a green shell fitted.

So rather than Sony being short on green controller ports, it sounds more like they just had excess Yaroze boards.

10. thepokemask

thepokemask Why have a virtual boy when you can have a potato?

Awesome collection you got! really love your Nintendo stuff (especially the GameCube and wii Dev items!) and also your Sega Saturn and PS collection really cool!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

"Small Collection" This is fucking amazing, dude!