My retro collecting pet peeves

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Sep 15, 2017.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Not Erasing your game saves from your carts before selling your game.

Not a huge deal right? It is if the next owner is a gaijin who can't read Japanese and spends 20 minutes trying to erase all the save data in Twin Bee Rainbow bell Adventure because I can't read Japanese. That's not the only game that I had trouble with, Kirby Superstar took me a while to erase the save data, Kirby 64 at least had a bomb to signify ERASE SAVES. Super Bomberman 5 took me a few minutes too.

Not cleaning your games.

Most of the time, I clean the contacts and I'm good to go. BUT Kirby super star was FILTHY Gunk in every Crevas of the cart, the back label missing, dirt EVERYWHERE, a hair, A HAIR stuck where the Contacts are coming out that took forever to dig out with a Q tip. Had to use a lot of Alcohol to clean it and almost resorted to goo gone. What slob owned this game before I did? When I buy games from Japan, I expect them to be pristine, But between that and the Salamander Deluxe that was disc rotted, maybe they aren't as clean as I thought.

So that's what I have SO FAR. Lets see what else comes up.

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I cant remember who I sold it to but the Pokemon cart I had came bundled with whatever I did last. Apparently whatever I was doing last was along the lines of action replay code experimenting and had a box of some *nice* pokemon.

It had been so long since I played those games that as far as I know the one I still have might have the box full of spiky ear pichus and box of shiny pichus.

Speaking of which not being allowed to trade the spiked ear one to other games it dumb

3. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I've been pleasantly surprised by most games I buy from Japan.

I hate it when people write on their games.. with gold shiny marker... Yes TJ and M.B., I have your damn gameboy carts now. Whattaya gonna do about it??

4. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

I once got a used copy of Starfox Assault with a really weird problem. I left the saves on the game but started a new game. It was immediately impossible to beat, couldn't even get past the first couple levels. My memory is fuzzy, but I believe it was like starting off with no upgrades, but the difficulty was at a level where they were needed. Your home planet was destroyed in like two turns which was not enough to get to the missles. After erasing all save data, the game worked like normal.

Having never played the game before, I just thought it was relentlessly hard.

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I think you mean Starfox Command on DS, as Assault is for GameCube.

I don't see why anyone should expect to receive a used game with the saved data cleared out. I do agree that writing on cartridges is very annoying. The worst is anything on the label. If you're very lucky you might be able to remove a sticker from a label but if the label has faded then you'll always see the spot that isn't faded from being under a sticker. But they are what they are, very old items. Most people don't treat their things very well, or atleast not like museum pieces.

6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

But in the first place, Gaijin were not meant to be playing Japanese games. :p
    I'm kidding. I can understand your pain, but I do not think sellers should be obligated to erase the game for you since the deal was to give you a game in exchange for cash.

Were you not able to find (Google) instructions on erasing the game saves?

If you got your stuff from an auction that was marked as "junk", the condition of the item may be bad. I am not surprised if some of them were left in a pile, forgotten. Forgotten, until they needed to make way for better stuff in the previous owner's life.

7. GodofHardcore

It's more the fact I'm Japanese Illiterate that makes it so irritating. I can read "no" and that's it and I forgot what "no" means.

I did manage to clear the save data... today it was doing battle with filthy Famicom games. This Copy of Mario 3 wasn't feeling my brand new AES.

8. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

I hate when im trying to buy a cart and the cart is dirty/sticky and the seller still has the audacity to sell the cart at market price. Presentation does have some sort of hold on pricing. Plus it's gross having to handle snotty, dirt riddled games.

9. GodofHardcore

My copy of Psycho Dream is yellow and Icky Still cost me $40+ plays fine

10. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

double post oops

11. PessimisticPenguin

Dude. I went to a yard sale yesterday where the dude had the gall to ask for $100 for a Magnavox Odyssey that was so dirty I'd have to strip it down and do a full cleaning.

12. GodofHardcore

My Saturn and my 2 working Dreamcasts haven't been hooked up for awhile but I still clean them. I'm just a Cable away from putting them in use, Alcohol and canned air is all you need it's not that hard.

13. PessimisticPenguin

Uh yeah except $100 for a old system dirty and scratched up, no games with it. Whereas I can go on Ebay and pay the same price for one in decent shape with games, etc, guaranteed to work. This is why I fucking hate the reseller scene now in video games. They make everyone think any piece of electronics they have is worth its weight in gold

14. GodofHardcore

Very true, I got a VERY good deal on my Super Famicom a month ago. I just need to deyellow it and it's not even that badly discolored.

15. PessimisticPenguin

I have a perfectly white shell, I just need a system that actually works

16. GodofHardcore

Got Gundam Wing Endless Duel in the Mail yesterday. IT WORKED RIGHT AWAY.

Pet Peeve 3, Not knowing if a seller just forgot to mail your game out or the Japan poster/Customs/US Postal service lost your damn game because they didn't get a tracking number.

17. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Japan post doesn't loose stuff. They have a 99% successful delivery rate. So there is that 1% but the chances of being part of that 1% are incredibly slim. This is why we don't bother with tracking numbers. Actually, Japanese standard airmail doesn't come with tracking. You need to pay extra for that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  18. GodofHardcore

Far more likely in the bulk mailing the seller forgot to send my game out?

19. rso

rso °

> chances of being part of that 1% are incredibly slim
    I would estimate them as roughly 1%.

sonicsean89 and The-Silmarillion like this.
  20. GodofHardcore

I've ordered a few dozen things from Japan over the last few years. Only 2 things never made it to my house. A few Saturn games, and This copy of Kirby 3, which people are telling me isn't even that good anyway so I might get something else once the estimated arrival dates passes.