My first 128mb upgrade done! need some advice.

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by paultje162, Mar 20, 2016.

1. paultje162

paultje162 Member

Hello Fellow Xbox'ers :)

Today is the day that i finally got a 128mb xbox soldered up and running! I do have a few questions about it though. XBMC recognizes all the ram so that is good. What are some good games to test if all memory can be allocated? I already used xbmemtest and it gave me this result:
    [​IMG]
    Is this the result i should expect? Or is there still something wrong? Since it does show unallocateable blocks.

Regards, Paul

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Syclopse likes this.
  2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

To my knowledge, Xbox games won't benefit from the upgrade and will still continue to use 64mb RAM. There should be emulators that can utilize the extra RAM, though.

3. paultje162

paultje162 Member

Yeah i ment emulator games. I heard that Virtua Cop 3 is a game that allocates all 128mb of ram. But i can't seem to find the complete package with everything needed anymore. Seriously all links are dead..

4. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Those blocks might be unallocatable simply because they're in use by the kernel. Just a guess though, I'm not sure how xbmemtest works.

5. paultje162

paultje162 Member

Oh that sounds good then! I will just try and use it then and see what happends. i already noticed that n64 games are not booting anymore in CoinOPS. Although they are working in Surreal64. Strange issue, will have to take a look at that.

6. mb2010

mb2010 Member

I've recently done a couple of ram upgrades and i'm in the same boat in regards to the virtua cop 3 links. When i was doing the upgrade i was using xblast os by bennydiamond on here to test the ram chips, it tests each ram chip individually. As for testing fully i'm the same as you i've only looked in xbmc. If you do end up finding any links for virtua cop could you give me a pm.

7. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

Result is normal as unallocatable blocks are in use by the system. You can also see this in XBMC, depending on the theme, mroe or less memory is available. If some chips would be faulty, you wouldn't be able to boot, it would FRAG.

Also not two Chihiro games are ONLY working with component av cable... I think VC2 and Outrun 2, but not sure, check the thread here in the forum...

8. paultje162

paultje162 Member

Well, i just tried XBlast and all my RAM chips PASSED! so that is a good sign. I also managed to grab up the Chihiro games. However i do have a problem with them. When i start them. my xbox reboots with a pink screen. The log tells me the following:
    Anyone knows how to fix this?

9. MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  10. MightySubzero

MightySubzero Rising Member

N64 and MAME are Emulators that the extra ram will help a lot.. When u have games lag on the 64mb.. Them games will play a lot better.. I think it also uses the extra ram when playing HD movies ect also.

11. emu_kidid

emu_kidid Enthusiastic Member

You can use XBPatch(er) to patch games to utilise 128MB. It's the tool that people use when they also have an upgraded CPU, but you can leave the CPU patching option on default so it's left unpatched.

12. MightySubzero

Nice work on the upgrade.. My first 2 times didn't go well.. But was able to save the xboxs though. :)

13. Niabi

Niabi Member

Nice work! if you don't mind me asking, where can I get RAM chips for a v1? would a v1.6 RAM chips work on the V1?

14. MightySubzero

You could take them off a Dead motherboard.. But if I remember right as long as the memory has the same number on them they should work... I know they have to be the same speed QC-50 I belive... I'm going to get mine from china. I think a lot of 10 chips are I think $22 if I remember right.

15. Niabi

Niabi Member

Thanks, you don't happen to have the model number handy? (or a link to the china store?) :D

16. cyrix

cyrix Rising Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is literally the only mention of the app "xbmemtest" I can find. Does anyone have any more information about this app? I would like to find a copy of it to use on my xbox.

17. Nully

Nully Intrepid Member

Apparently need Xblast OS to do that from what I could find on some forums. Think someone here created it if you search deeper.

18. cyrix

cyrix Rising Member

Probably won't work with softmods then will it?

19. fdm

fdm Newly Registered

Xblast is available as a bios and xbe you can launch

20. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Just chip it. Super cheap and easy.

Soft mods don't have anything over hard mods unless you moistl to reddit where none of them can solder. They get super pissy about their insecurity.

zzattack and Nully like this.