My copy won't boot

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by Pyongyang, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Pyongyang

Pyongyang Rising Member

I did a bit of thread searching but fired blanks. I opened up my sealed copy yesterday to play only to find it boots to a blank screen. How do you boot the game up or do I maybe have a faulty disc?

I have a PAL Dreamcast keyboard if that helps. Not attached it to the DC though. My DC is a PAL console that's got a modchip and been BIOS flashed to a NTSC-J console.

2. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I think you need a VGA box on a pal machine, I don't think it works with the scart cable

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The game won't work via RGB so if you are using scarf you'll get a black screen. There are a few retail Dreamcast games that do this too. Your best bet is to use a VGA box or S-video or if you can't get access to them you'll have to use shitty composite.

4. defor

defor Intrepid Member

I was unaware of there being any compatibility issues with basic 15k on Dreamcast... as I'm currently changing most of my gaming setup to rgb only- any tips on what games don't work?

I know there's a number of games that have no vga support, I thought rgb would be fine for any game supporting normal composite/svideo output.

5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

There was a boot disc released in the UK that could force VGA and RGB boots on games that had issues but I have no idea what it was called. Someone in the UK may be able to help on that one. As for how many games don't work in RGB, there's only a few, maybe 5 or so.

6. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

Most games outside of the PAL region have ZERO RGB support. Especially Capcom games, and yes there was a boot disc to force VGA for some games but it doesn't work for all Skies of Arcadia is an excellent example. But it DOES NOT force RGB over scart. Drop me a PM if you want this boot disc I have it and will happily rip it for you. I have done it for others in the the past and it is small compressed but will only load imports and force VGA for SOME games outside of the PAL region but won't help at all for RGB. This is the disc you he is talking about for PAL users.

[​IMG]

7. elmagicochrisg

elmagicochrisg Rising Member

Pretty sure that won't work with Geist Force.

Original games only, just like DC-X.

8. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I suppose the bigger question is why it's possible for games to not support RGB. Isn't that the original format output by the GPU to the video encoder?

9. Pyongyang

Pyongyang Rising Member

Aha! I was indeed using an official blue box SCART cable! I have a VGA box so will give that a go tonight. I run all my stuff through a DVDO VP so will upscale it to 1080p and see how it looks just because the option is there. :)

Thanks everyone!

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I don't think that's true. Most of the NTSC-U games I've tried have worked over SCART. So far, Geist Force is the only one that hasn't.

11. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I have released over 130 games for the DC and out of those only 6 supported RGB. Try Street Fighter 3 NTSC-U or just about any NTSC-U Capcom game and it will not display VGA.

12. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

That wasn't really what I was trying to say. How is it possible for games to not support RGB? From what little I understand of other consoles, the idea itself doesn't make sense to me.

Shouldn't it be like trying to make a non-RGB game for SNES/Genesis/Saturn/etc?

13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

The Dreamcast appears to have some control over what it outputs with some fall backs in place (composite video). The consoles you've mentioned have a dedicated video encoder that can't do anything but encode what it is given and AFAIK none of those consoles do anything but shove a video signal to the encoder.

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

RGB and VGA are 2 different display modes, I dont know why you are using them interchangeably.

15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Are we talking about RGB SCART or VGA? Resident Evil 2 works on both SCART and VGA, btw.

I've tried around 30 NTSC-U games, and they all work over SCART. Geist Force is the only exception. Are you talking about betas or protos of some kind? If so, maybe it's a feature that wasn't added until late in the development cycle.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I think hes talking about VGA, not RGB.

RGB works on pretty much every game from my experience. To the point where I didnt even know it was possible for a game to NOT support it.

17. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

The final retail version allows VGA.

18. defor

defor Intrepid Member

odd- every DC game i've had works fine on VGA-- but we're talking RGB anyway (I'm still trying to get my RGB setup working at home)...

I've remember a lot of DC selfboot copies don't implement VGA correctly from my experiences with it almost 8-10 years ago, however, regardless of region.

19. TPSNT

TPSNT Rapidly Rising Member

There is a trick that works for some games that won't boot with the RGB SCART cable. Disconnect the SCART cable from the Dreamcast, then boot the game and when it's booted connect the SCART cable again. I remember using this trick, but not for which games.

20. sploit

sploit Rising Member

I have an Unmodded PAL dreamcast which is hooked up to my tv via an RF lead (yeah I know that is the worst option) and my copy of Geist force works through it!