My Computers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by la-li-lu-le-lo, Jun 20, 2017.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'm posting this in Off Topic rather than the computer gaming forum, because this isn't directly related to gaming. Mods, feel free to move it if you think it should. I took this picture, and I thought some people here might enjoy it. These are all of the PCs and Macs that I own currently.

computers.jpg

From left to right: slot-loading iMac G3, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5, Late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro, 2 PCs

Beige PC specs:
    Pentium 4 2.53GHz
    512MB DDR
    Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
    160GB HDD
    Pioneer slot-loading DVD drive*
    Sony floppy drive
    Windows 98 SE

*I got this brand new a few months ago.

Black PC specs:
    i7-3770K 3.5GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3
    GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    120GB SSD
    240GB SSD
    1TB HDD (new)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    GoodTofuFriday and nullChar like this.
  2. nullChar

nullChar Active Member

Nice lineup you've got there!
    What's next?

3. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I think this is it for right now. Eventually I might want to get some older Macs. I'd love to have a Sharp X68000, but that's not happening any time soon.

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I'll post my collection of pc hardware when I pickup my old one. You got a fun thread here for me

5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I made this thread just to post that one picture, but go ahead and share yours if you want to.

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

That rug is the perfect size...

Syclopse likes this.
  7. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

Nice lineup, Sharp X68000, nice aim. I was never able to get a hold of one of those things, very curious about it. I have about 5 games lying around for it though, don't think I will be ever able to play them :(

8. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I might get one eventually. Finding a monitor that's fully compatible with it is an issue too. Japanese computers in general are pretty interesting. It'd be cool to have a NeXT computer too, but I think those are rather hard to find, and probably very expensive when they do appear.

Totally unrelated, some more information about the Power Mac G5: it's a late-2005 dual core model. It uses the 970MP dual core processor, which runs at 2GHz. It has 1.5GB of DDR2 installed currently. This is the last version of the Power Mac G5, though it's the standard configuration. There was also a quad core version. I think the CPU in this system is water cooled.

Just for fun, the other day I installed demos of Doom 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 on this system. Both of them actually run pretty well; I was able to run Doom 3 at 720p, and while there was occasional slowdown, it ran pretty well overall, and was definitely playable. Unreal Tournament 2004 ran very well too.

Today I made an attempt to run a DOS game (The Dig) on the P4-based system in the picture. I was able to get the game to run, but I couldn't get the sound working. In the sound configuration menu, it wouldn't detect my sound card. I have a Sound Blaster Live! in this system, which is supposed to have SB 16 emulation, but it doesn't seem to be working. I need to investigate this further. I also have not been able to get games to run in DirectX mode, whereas Glide and OpenGL games run without any issues.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  9. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member