My collection of 480 UK Sega magazines (WARNING: 13MB of pictures inside!!)

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by homgran, Feb 15, 2009.

1. homgran

homgran Member

Hey guys!

Okay, here we go. I've been collecting for quite a while, but I finally decided to take some pictures.

Note that this isn't everything (!!). I haven't taken pictures of Sega Force Mega, because the only two issues I'm missing are due to arrive sometime this week -- so I figured I might as well wait until I have them all before taking the photo. I'll do that (and add them to this thread) once they've arrived. Likewise, I have issue 1 of Saturn Power, but issues 6, 9 & 10 are "in the post", so I'll photograph what I have once they've arrived.

Finally, I'm listing the *initial* publisher of each magazine. Many of these magazines changed hands over the course of their publication (Sega Zone went through three separate publishers!). For more precise details, please see my post here:

http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20475

and the latest spreadsheet detailing my collection (including duplicates) will always be available here:

http://www.gneilson.plus.com/sega_mags_chronology.xls

where:

[.] if the cell is not highlighted, I don't have it,
    [.] if the cell is highlighted yellow, I have one copy of it,
    [.] if the cell is highlighted green, I have two copies,
    [.] if the cell is highlighted blue, I have three or more copies.

In the following pictures, I've laid out the magazines in such a way that it should be easy to see which issues I'm missing. Right, on with the show -- enjoy! :)

S - The Sega Mag, Future Publishing (7/12 issues):
    [​IMG]

Sega Power, Future Publishing (78/79 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saturn Power, Future Publishing (4/10 issues):
    [​IMG]

Mean Machines, EMAP Images (25/25 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mean Machines Sega, EMAP Images (53/53 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Official Sega Magazine, EMAP Images (22/22 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega Saturn Magazine, EMAP Images (37/37 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega Pro, Paragon Publishing (39/58? issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega Pro CD, Paragon Publishing (9/14 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega Force, Europress Impact (19/19 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega Force Mega, Europress Impact (7/7 issues):
    [​IMG]

Sega XS, Paragon Publishing (17/20? issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega Zone, Dennis Publishing (5/23? issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*continued in next post*...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  2. homgran

homgran Member

*continued*...

Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, Maverick Magazines (27/30? issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MEGA, Future Publiishing (31/31 issues + MEGA Gold Summer Special '93)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mega-Tech, EMAP Images (32/40? issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mega Action, Europress Impact (11/11 issues):
    [​IMG]

Mega Power, Paragon Publishing (14/19? issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Official Dreamcast Magazine, Dennis Publishing (20/22 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DC-UK, Future Publishing (19/20 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dreamcast Monthly, Quay Publishing (2/17? issues):
    [​IMG]

Dreamcast Magazine, Paragon Publishing (5/33 issues):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. Dreamcast, Magical Media (2/2 issues):
    [​IMG]

Sega Specials:
    "Complete Guide to Consoles", Vol. 1-3, EMAP Images;
    "Complete A-Z Sega Games", Vol. 1, 2, 4, Paragon Publishing;
    "Mega-Tech & Mean Machines Sega Mega Drive Tips", EMAP Images;
    "Sega XS Special Preview", Paragon Publishing;
    "Sega Solutions", Paragon Publishing (issue 1).
    [​IMG]

Phew, that's it! Any comments? A "favourite" (or "worst"!) cover, perhaps?

Oh, and if you've got something I don't (and you don't want it), then send me a PM and we'll try to work something out. ;)

-Matt

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  3. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Wow, outstanding. Never realized the UK was such a SEGA supporting country magazine-wise. This must have taken you a long time to track down such a lovely compilation of Sega press history. Did you buy a big part of them already while they were up to date?

I love the "MD Advanced Gaming" Doom-Cover... it has always been one of my two favourite Doom artworks, the other being this:
    [​IMG]
    The Mega-Tech covers look really lovely as well. These TFIV and Splatterhouse artworks could easily be used as posters :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. homgran

homgran Member

Hey ave,

Thanks! Yep, it's taken quite a long time to build up this collection. When I was a kid I used to buy loads of Sega magazines. I foolishly gave half of them away (and threw out the rest -- gahhh!) when I sold my Mega Drive in 1995. Needless to say I've regretted it ever since... but it's been fun trying to find them all again! :)

Many of the Dreamcast magazines were bought new (I subscribed to Official Dreamcast Magazine, mainly for the demo disc, and I bought the occasional issue of DC-UK and Dreamcast Magazine). Thanks to eBay, I recently filled in the gaps in my DC-UK collection.

The UK was very pro-Sega in the early/mid 90s, which resulted in a massive influx of magazines. The Master System did well, and the Mega Drive was a phenomenon. Sonic was on the TV every two minutes! But Sega made some mistakes (the 32X and Saturn caused a lot of confusion, and neither was supported very well), which led to most Mega Drive owners migrating to the PlayStation. I believe the Mega Drive actually out-sold the Saturn 1997!

But getting back to the magazines... I agree that the Doom cover is very nice (it's a pity I haven't been able to find a copy of that issue in better condition). It's the same one that they used for MEGA #27 (by that time Maverick Magazines, the publishers of Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, had bought MEGA from Future Publishing). In fact, that issue of Mega Drive Advanced Gaming contains *exactly* the same review of Doom (verbatim) that was previously printed in MEGA. You see, by this point Maverick were in the process of "burning" Mega Drive Advanced Gaming. This involves sacking most of the staff, dumping the page count, reprinting old articles and hoping that their unsuspecting readers don't notice until they've already bought the issue. It was seen as an easy way of squeezing more money out of a magazine that was about to close anyway. It's always sad to see a once-great magazine end that way (Mega Drive Advanced Gaming was always my favourite magazine back then). The same thing happened to Mega-Tech, Sega Zone and eventually MEGA.

Mega-Tech had some great covers... in fact, EMAP's covers in general were pretty damn good. Official Sega Magazine had some really nice ones too, and so did Sega Saturn Magazine (I especially like the Nights cover on issue 7, and the Sonic R one on issue 22 -- THAT's how sonic was supposed to look in 3D!).

I *really* liked MEGA's covers (for the first 20 issues, anyway). In particular, I always though that the Aladdin cover was excellent! :D

-Matt

5. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Absolutely stunning, I love games magazines.

I have an issue of Sega Power that you don't, if I can find it it's all yours. I still have my Sonic 3 copy of Sega XS but it's in poor condition.

Looking at the covers of the Sega Dreamcast Magazine just reminds me of how much promise the console showed way back when, sigh, memories.

EDIT: Oh and I'm pretty sure I have a few copies of Dreamcast Magazine kicking around.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  6. homgran

homgran Member

Hey Twimfy,

Yeah, the Dreamcast showed so much potential -- and for the most part it delivered (despite the near-invisible advertising). Then Sega ran out of money. The console deserved better... it had so many great games in such a short space of time. With a better financial backing, it could have gone toe-to-toe with the GameCube and Xbox.

-Matt

P.S. Replied via PM.

7. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

I have a coulpe of Sega Power magazines too. The one with Micro Machines 2 and the other with 32X Virtua Star Wars on the cover.

Back in the day, i used to buy imported mags from time to time. They costed 5 times more than the brazilian ones, but was worth it. I have some EGM's, a GamePro, those Sega Power, and some Official PlayStation Magazine (Portuguese edition and US).

Also have the first two editions of Gaming, the french magazine CHAZumaru works.

8. DrDoaK

DrDoaK Robust Member

That's a Very nice collection :clap:

I didn't know you collected DC mags too, they seem to be a pain to find for some reason.

I hope my Sega magazine collection is as big as yours one day, currently have around 250 mags myself, about 70 of those are Playstation mags though.

9. Gaming

Gaming Spirited Member

Have you read all the unsealed magazines? Would be interesting to read all those magazines. Great collection.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Lovely collection. That must have taken quite some time to amass!

I spot a non-CD Saturn Magazine! Nice!

11. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

man, I need to come to your house with my laptop, my scanner and stay a couple of weeks ;)
    awesome collection !

12. homgran

homgran Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. :)

It's really cool to know that people as far away as Brazil imported Sega magazines from the UK!

250 issues is still a massive collection, DrDoak! Perhaps some day, between us, we'll be able to encompass all known issues. I agree, some of the Dreamcast magazines can be a pain to find (especially single issues -- people often only want to sell in batches).

The magazines are all "unsealed" in that their protective sleeves have been opened at some point. I've read most of the magazines -- at the very least, I've flicked through them all (upon receiveing an issue, I spend I while looking through it). I've read all of the Mega Drive Advanced Gaming issues (cover-to-cover) many times over, since that was the first magazine I tried to collect. To be honest, I think Sega Power (and some of the later issues of Mean Machines Sega) make up the bulk of what I haven't read all the way though. I'll get to those eventually, though. ;)

Cyberguile, I know what you mean. I'd love to digitise everything one day (erm.... it'd take a lot longer than a day, I guess!). Not just scans, either, but some kind of searchable database in which it would be possible to return all articles that match a specific criteria (e.g. "all Shining Force reviews", "all Sonic articles in Sega Power", "all walkthoughs from Sega Pro", "all articles relating to Thunder Force IV, across all magazines", ...etc). That way you could sort of make up a "dynamic magazine" whenever you like. Of course, nothing beats picking up a real magazine... but a database is still the easiest way of finding *which* magazine contains the information you want. Maybe one day...

-Matt

13. Aypok

Aypok Spirited Member

That's a great collection, dude - it's so nice to see a gaming magazine collection (I've not seen many). Keep up the great work.

14. retro

Yeah, I've often thought about databasing my magazines. I'm not sure how many I have - hundreds, probably. I mean, I subscribed to N64 Magazine right through it becoming NGC and then it was NGamer I think? I guess I stopped my subscription sometime last year when it expired and my bank said "you can get lost if you think we're paying that Direct Debit - you owe us money!" :lol:

It's a very big project, though. Doable - make the db in MySQL, write a PHP site to view it, stick on an administration side and then get entering data! Long, tedious job, mind you!

15. Aypok

Aypok Spirited Member

When it came to storing my magazines in an on-line database, I went with Django (a Python-based web framework) instead of writing yet another PHP site. Most of the admin side is automagically generated, so it's quick and painless. For the most part.

I'd love to go through all my magazines and add scans (maybe even run some OCR on articles, as homgran suggested), but I don't even have the time to keep my database lists up to date. :)

16. retro

True. You could use Mambo or Joomla, too, but I find setting up such CMS systems a pain in the arse. They're over-complicated and bloated with features you don't need.

17. homgran

homgran Member

Aypok, retro,

Regarding the database, I've been seriously considering doing something in MySQL. At the very least, it would be a good opportunity to familiarise myself with building and maintaining a database. From what I understand, the php side of things wouldn't be too difficult to pick up -- I'm familiar with perl, though to tell you the truth I still prefer good old grep, sed and awk. ;)

Scanning the pages would be the tedious part. Once everything's scanned and the system is set up, I can (hypothetically, of course) spend the rest of my life entering the data. Speaking of scanning, has anyone ever tried out one of these:

http://booksnap.atiz.com/

The V-shaped cradle is supposed to allow for full-page scanning without damaging the spines. Apparently it's also possible to create searchable pdf files, too... but obviously that part would be reliant on the capabilities of the OCR software (and I don't know how well OCR would cope with some of the more... exotic page layouts / fonts -- and could it cope with coloured text on a gradient-coloured background?). The only obvious downer is that these machines cost a fortune! :S

18. retro

PHP + MySQL is a great way to go. It's easy to pick up.

Personally, I'd get the database and site code sorted. Then enter data. Then scan. It would be more useful to have a database of "what's in what" with no scans (so you can search your own archive / buy issue x of magazine y on eBay) than (another) archive of scans that you still need to plow through to find what you want (if it's there).

That thing looks interesting, but I bet it is expensive! The UK distributor isn't too far from me and they offer a scanning service. Always handy to remember! Cheers for that! ;-)

19. homgran

homgran Member

You're right, it's probably better to do the scanning last. It also means that I'll be able to start right away. I have MAMP, but I haven't installed it yet.

I guess it's pretty important to plan a good structure before entering anything -- do you have any recommendations? I'm inclined to give each page [of each magazine issue] a unique ID, and then enter the information by article (this would allow for multiple articles per page). It might be interesting to also store every instance of a game name -- so, for example, if an Aladdin article mentions Cool Spot, then I would add another entry for Cool Spot and mark it as a sub-article. Hmmm... it could get quite complicated if I did that, though.

The scanner is extortionate! Due to the lack of pricing information on the website, I contacted the company in July last year to ask for a quote. I was given a figure of £2500 plus VAT. So it's *very* cost-prohibitive. Their scanning service carries a typical rate of 10p per page, although I was offered a nice discount. Unfortunately, I had to decline. So for scanning all of the magazine pages, it would definitely be cheaper to buy the scanner outright. Still far too expensive to justify for a simple hobby, but I guess they're a business and they can't exactly operate at a loss!

20. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

Nice collection, good to see some Mean Machines Sega in there too :thumbsup:I collected it's sister publication, Nintendo Magazine System. Still have a full set lurking around in the attic somewhere.
    If you want to find out more about Mean Machines, there's an excellent website which has interviews with the staff who worked on the magazine(s), and archived reviews (with actual scanned .PDF pages). Well worth a look I can assure you:

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009