Moving to England, what TV should I get?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Dr_Slump, May 27, 2008.

1. Dr_Slump

Dr_Slump Intrepid Member

Next month I will move to England, permanently. My lightweight belongings will be shipped from Greece by a courier service thus I'll need to buy a couple of new furniture and appliances, including a TV.
    Forasmuch as I am very disappointed by modern panel's performance on SDTV gaming, I am considering a purchase of a 32" CRT, but I have no idea what brands and models will be free of extremely severe geometry issues I previously experienced with a Samsung HD CRT.
    The only model being produced right now from a known brand is one from JVC while I have no clue about its performance and if it lacks a DVB-T/freeview receiver. So I may have to try a used model but here comes the previous question...
    What do you people think?:033:

2. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Get your self a 720p plasma. There are some cheap 37"-42" panasonics that everyone seems to love. They handle SD alot better then cheap LCD screens.

3. Importaku

Importaku Import Maniac

"Moving to England, what should I get?"

A stab vest & some very good window & door locks lol.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Bulletproof if you feel like coming to london. Cant wait to be able to move out.

5. Dr_Slump

Dr_Slump Intrepid Member

I currently own a 1024x768 42" Panny but I'm not as pleased as with my grandma's old 32" CRT when I connect classic systems. There's too much perfection due to the fixed native resolution, it kind of takes all the "magic" away leaving what *really* comes from the source...

6. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

God knows why anyone wants to move to England these days....make sure you get a gun

7. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

I got a bulletproof vest . So whether you mean it as a joke or not. Then I am serious about the vest.

8. Dr_Slump

Dr_Slump Intrepid Member

Oh that post made my day! :eek:h:
    Yes, I'm looking forward to rent a small house or flat somewhere near King's Cross in order for me and my girlfriend to study at Middlesex University. Is the crime rate really that high? That makes buying a heavy CRT monster a no-brainer! :lol:
    What about other areas of Greater London? We're getting really off-topic here but I didn't know about crime rates...

9. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

I live about 4-5 stations away from kings cross. Its not as bad as i think it was years ago but its still not a great area. If i remember right it used to be full of druggies and druggie hookers. To be honest i live close i go to uni close but i avoid the area still. However with the development work it seems to have improved. Either way its good for travel links but i wouldnt walk around too much at night.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.kingscrossenvironment.com/

10. asnozz

asnozz Peppy Member

yeah Kings Cross isnt the best area in the world lol! But the south east of england isnt the most dangerous place in the world. Just make sure you avoid dodgy areas....like that place north of Kings Cross (crazy guy called Paulo lives there)

11. Tachikoma

Tachikoma Officer at Arms

Someone on the streets sees you in a vest, you will most likely find yourself surrounded by the boys in blue given the current climate.

12. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Guess guy ritchie wasn't lying in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

IMO is all about the "merry old england" image, coupled with some overoptimistic movies about the country (just like any movie that portraits a certain place like perfect).

Anyway, arent guns illegal over there?

13. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

Isn't middlesex uni a bit of a trek from Central?
    With regards to location, just don't go south of the river, pretty much all the stabbings etc seem to happen in Brixton, and you're a bit of a nutter if you want to live there anyway.
    I'm in the west, shepherds bush/white city area and its nothing special, but I do feel reasonably safe - never been mugged or threatened or anything nasty like that, but may have something to do with me being a big bastard who avoids dodgy places and walks with confidence, or it may just be luck. Then again none of my weedy scared mates have either, so my theory could be bollocks.

14. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

There is a real gangster culture, especially in London. It's not gansta either (although some people believe they are infact rappers). I'm talking about the classic hardcase type.

Yes, but they can be obtained. It is getting worse. But it's not bullet dodging land yet. :lol:

15. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Yeah I get it, more like the mafia or irish tugs (no offense to any irishs here)

As far as I know even in third world countries having an illegal weapon of the firearm type can land you a couple of years in jail.

What about england? or theres actually a legal way to obtain one?

16. Taucias

You'd get thrown in jail, yeah. You can legally own a shotgun and single shot rifle I believe, for hunting, but it is a chore to get a license. No hand guns or anything else.

17. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

18. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

What about a nice big dog or dogs.

19. Atenhouse

Atenhouse Analog Kid

o_O Is violent crime really an issue in London?

20. Taucias

Yes, especially knife crime. It's nothing like Mary Poppins. If a window cleaner popped out at you in a dark alley, he'd probably stick a knife in your guts.

Last edited: May 28, 2008