Moving from Neoflash to Everdrive...

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by Nodoyuna, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Nodoyuna

Nodoyuna Active Member

Hi all...

Last year I bought the Neoflash SNES Myth... Later, I also bought the SD adapter.

I'm interested in getting some more carts for different systems, but with my SNES Myth experience, Neoflash products are (I think) more difficult as it shout be. Apart for the need to get an adapter for SD loading, it requires another computer for updating and all...

I really like Everdrives options... (I already don't have any of them) I like that it has "native" SD support, and that there are regular updates on OS. And they are really cheap compared to other cart options.

Anyway, I see on Neoflash carts some options not (yet) available on Everdrives. For example, the Neoflash SMS cart does have FM sound, while the Everdrive does not. Also they allow bigger SD's than Everdrives...

I don't mind to wait for some options to appear, as they involve OS updates (I don't have the equipment to do firmware updates), so I can wait for FM sound, bigger SD's, cheat engines and whatever can be done with these carts...

So my question is... If I switch from Neoflash to Everdrives, will I eventually get the same performance and options on all carts?

I'm not demanding those options "right now", but I'm seriously thinking of swithing to Everdrives, and I only need a little push in the back to do it :)

Thanks in advance for any answers/advices

2. Pannolino

Pannolino Spirited Member

Fm Sound it's hardware.
    you can use a japanese MS
    or wait for krizz have a revision of his board (with the Yamaha chip included)

3. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

fm synth not planned for md, by the way

4. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

With how poorly the Master EverDrive sells compared to others I don't see the need to make it even more expensive for FM sound and bigger SD card. Not sure why you would need bigger than 2GB for SMS.

If FM sound was ever added it obviously would not be an OS or Firmware update. It would be a complete PCB revision.

I guess we should never say never, but for a more affordable flash cart sometimes you must concede some things. Either way I am sure Igor has much bigger fish to fry for quite awhile.

So if FM sound and larger than 2GB SD cards mean a lot to you then NeoFlash is your only option.

5. Nodoyuna

Nodoyuna Active Member

I was referring not only to the SMS Everdrive, but in general... I mean if, in the future, all of them will have, eventually, the same features...

Maybe I've not explained well, as I'm Spanish and English is not my native language...

I understand that sometimes you have to sacrifice things in order to get a cheaper cart... That's why I was asking... If the Everdrives are cheaper than the competitors, and they eventually, some day may have the same features as more expensive carts, I'll go for Everdrives without a doubt. :)

Does this means the Neoflash have included the FM sound option to be able to use it in any SMS, and that if I have a japanese SMS I'll already have the FM option... Am I right?

Thanks for you attention and explanations.

6. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

Well I went from NeoMythMD with the SD add-on to Everdrive. I wish Everdrive was out a lot sooner so I could have skipped the NeoMyth entirely.

NeoMyth may have more options for the moment BUT it fails on doing the thing that most of us want a cart like this for in the first place. Loading roms easily and playing that is...
    You have to mess with old and really shitty software that in some cases needs old OS like XP in order to work.
    It has intergrated FM chip for SMS games that support it (like R Type) but sounds terribly distorted, and its not just mine, i read this from others too.
    They have low quality flash memory that tends to fail and render your cart useless. I opened one of the Neo 128M flash carts and i couldn't figure out what was written on the little square flash memory chip, only numbers that gave nothing on a search on the net.
    This was the reason I bought the SD adapter only to find out later that SMS games dont run from SD on older versions of the mythMD so i still have to mess with the messy flash memory for those. And since you only can learn stuff for these products through a "ghost town" forum, I only found out after I bought it...

Did I mention the COMPLETE absence of documentation and instructions on the myth products? Well I just did.

I also own the Neo PCE 128M cart. This one developed bad sectors too.
    Sorry but for me, Neo products are of junk quality, too complex to get working and VERY expensive for what they really worth and after so much trouble i had with them, NO ONE can convince me otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  7. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I think the only NeoMyth product with the FM chip is the one for the Megadrive, not the SMS. It plays FM sound on SMS games on a Megadrive/Genesis, not an actual SMS. There are ways of installing a PCB board into a SMS to make use of FM sound. I think it was very ambitious for Neo to include that FM chip, but I also don't think it's totally required. Sure the FM is better, but it's utilized in a handful of games properly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  8. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I had a NeoMyth MD + SD too. It was extremely expensive. I had problems with needing ancient Windows XP to work with it which my personal PC doesn't use. Someone (I forget their name at the moment) put out that new menu that lets you load MD and 32X games from SD but you still had to put SMS games on Flash which was annoying. The FM I never noticed any problem with but I also didn't really find it amazing either. I hear you can actually install the FM into your console if you really want it for SMS games.

I had a Double Pro Fighter before the Neo MD. It cost me a bit less money. After having the Neo MD awhile I realized that my ancient DPF copier loading off Floppies was just as good for me and I was able to sell off my Neo MD+SD for what I paid and I couldn't have been more happy about it. When the EverDrive came out I was very tempted to buy it but didn't since the DPF still gets the job done. But then there was a sale and I decided to try it out. It's awesome. Cheaper than my DPF copier, uses SD, plays SMS and 32X games as well.

The Neo MD I did experience problems with bad flash. Then there was the bad software/drivers. The EverDrive should support bigger than 2GB SD cards eventually through an update I believe. Game Genie cheats could definitely be added if they aren't already available. I'm not sure whatever features you want to be added. The fact is that the EverDrive blows away the Neo MD in quality, support, and price. If you aren't going to get a EverDrive, get an old copier like the Double Pro Fighter or Super Magic Drive because Neo MD is bottom of the barrel in my opinion.

9. Nodoyuna

Nodoyuna Active Member

Hehe...
    Now, after hearing your opinions, I think KRIKzz has a new customer :)
    I'll try to get the available carts... I think they already has MD, SNES and SMS, right?
    Thanks for all the answers, you did that little push I was talking about in my first post :)

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

I think the issue with "bad flash" is most often "bad PC client" on the NeoFlash. It's the primary complaint right now for NeoFlash stuff - the client and drivers for PC have problems on the newer Windows, and tend to be iffy when writing flash across the USB. I plan to look into that more after I get a break from the menus.

SD versus SDHC is a SOFTWARE issue, not hardware. All KRIKzz needs for SDHC support on his carts is FAT32, a minor change to the SD card init to support SDHC as well, and then a flag for sector read/write commands to NOT multiply the sector number times 512 when reading/writing SDHC. It wasn't very hard to add SDHC support to the NeoMyth menus, and I don't think it should be too hard for the Everdrive.

11. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Mott, Krikzz added game genie support awhile ago.

12. gtsamour

I wish that were true, at least in my case I ruled out the possibility of the "bad PC client"...
    unless you have an explaination for 3 products reporting the same bad flash sectors each time they're tested, on different PCs runing Windows7 in XP compatibility mode and on actual XP systems... and even tried on a P3 machine running XP and with USB v1.1 port.

And if all three of my products have bad sectors, im sure there are many people out there that have them too, unless im cursed or something.

What I don't understand is... these products are expensive, would it be so hard to use a good brand flash memory like ST? In the long run, using what looks like chinese crap flash memory, costs more than the money it saves.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  13. Chilly Willy

That's why I said "most often" and not always. :)

And yes, I don't think they use as good a brand of flash, especially for the price. I think they only charge the price they do because they can. Until now, there was almost no competition. Just look at the markup for one unit versus ten over at ic2005... it's mind boggling. If you really want a Myth, you really need a group buy... which is harder to justify now that the Everdrive series is out.

14. gtsamour

By the way Chilly Willy, you've done a GREAT job on the MythMD menu.

15. Chilly Willy

Thanks. I was capable of making a better menu, and lord knows how slow NeoFlash tends to be about the software, so I went ahead and worked on it. Now if madmonkey will work a bit more on his PC client app... ;)