Most effective Playstation

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Diablodin, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Hi. Maybe this has been asked before, but I searched and didn't find anything on it.

Well, I'm looking for expertise regarding what will be the most effective Playstation (to play PS1, PS2 and PS3), because I have some old beta discs and PS1 games I'd like to read, and not all of them are in the greatest shape, and on many of them it seems like the data is really stuck in there...

So, the question is mainly: Which console and which model has the most effective and solid laser/hardware to pick up info from old and/or damaged discs. Most importantly PS1, but also PS2, and bonus if PS3.

I'd think PS3 has the most advanced hardware, thus running all formats best, but I've heard/read that PSone has a very good laser for running PS1 games and that a PS3 won't give the best quality for PS1 and PS2 games.
    A PSone is limited to only play PS1, which sucks a little. I'm just being picky of course, but it's the point I guess.

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

2. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

The KSM-440BAM laser in the PSone is the best for the original PlayStation or alternatively the KSM-440AEM in the SCPH-7501 and SCPH-9001 models.

Diablodin likes this.
  3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I mostly play PS1 games on my PS3. The only downside is I can't use PS1 controllers or accessories when I do.

4. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Yeah. Just found a shiny new 9002(PAL) modded PS1 two weeks ago. It actually runs many of my beta discs very well. But there's till some discs that "semi-starts", that starts 1/10 times or that spins in irregular patterns, making me believe there's something on there, but the PS1 can't quite scoop up the data.
    I suppose I can just admit defeat and keep my PS1 for PS1 games, but I'd prefer to have the ultimate option for both PS1 and PS2 at least. I've even been considering a PS3 Test console.

5. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Oh man, you're right. I'm hoping PS3 is the answer because it'd be most efficient with a PS3. And I don't feel the big difference between PS2 (my favorite controller) and PS3's, but at some point I'd like to own plenty weird controllers and accessories, and I just realized, maybe lightguns won't work on a PS3? :eek:

6. GodofHardcore

light guns won't work, NO PS1 controllers will work on PS3.
    In which case I'd probably get the oldest PS1 model you can find. The more output options you have the better.

7. wombat

wombat SEGA!

In my experience if you're going to play PS2 BETA games a PS3 FAT TEST unit is the best. I had a couple of PS2 beta games that would not boot on a PS2 TEST and/or modded PS2 but did boot on a PS3 TEST :)

Diablodin likes this.
  8. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Try turning the PS1 upside down. But not when the disc is spinning, do it before turning it on.

9. CRTGAMER

CRTGAMER Robust Member

Stick to original consoles for each game. This means three consoles, all for good reason

PS1 - SCPH-7000 Grey Model - For Soundscope Player and Parallel Port for Utility Carts

PS2 - Any Fat for Internal Hard Drive game Install

PS3 - Newest Slim for reliability.

10. Colek

Colek Spirited Member

I'd say the best go would be to make backup using Bluray drive on PC (to .iso) and burn that on new disc. You won't damage your beta discs that way as much.

11. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

If they are original discs you could look into a proper disc resurfacing. If they are CD-R discs or otherwise not available at retail then you should get a good quality PC optical drive and use the right programs to extract a disc image and burn a CD-R copy.

None of the consoles have special magic to read damaged discs. And typically the best system to play any game on is the original. The PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility functions are emulation which is not perfect. If it's beta software you might even have issues using emulation modes and not realize it. You could figure issues you have are because it's a beta and not because emulation backwards compatibility is imperfect.

Diablodin likes this.
  12. theps1master

theps1master Robust Member

u can use ps1 controllers on ps3 u just need an adaptor

13. GodofHardcore

Yes but if you try to use them with PS1 games they won't work

14. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

So PS1 accessories won't work on a PS3... But I can just use my pretty spanking new region modded PS1 for light gun games if I find PS2 or PS3 to be the best alternative. Gotta own and play that Elemental Gearbolt some day!
    I tried this. It didn't work better. It helps if the laser pod is sloppy and doesn't point straight up on the disc, but in this case I don't think this is the problem as the modded PS1 I've been using till now is fresh and healthy. :)

Aight. I'd prefer to have as few consoles as possible, most preferable One doing all it needs to do (for PS3 - minus accessories).
    The PS1 beta discs I have are NTSC, NTSC-J and PAL shuffled, which would mean 3 PS1s... That's the problem I'd like to avoid by finding the "ultimate" Playstation, haha!
    So far I feel like we're leaning towards PS3. Are there any major difference between PS3 fat and slim? Maybe even between the different models? My experience is that PS3 slim is compact, reliable as mentioned, and it's small too.

Yeah, something like this sounds like a good way to preserve the discs themselves and to lengthen the lifespan of the actual data!
    Atm it's a little bit too much work for me, and I've got a SHIT laptop, haha! No Bluray in this house! But I'm thinking about preserving the data on the discs some day, and this is a good way to do it. :)
    Yeah. I've been looking for a resurfacing service, but in Norway it's probably not necessary enough, so I found none. And I'd like to actually talk to someone working the machine, so they don't sand the discs to dust. I think a some kind of recreation or burning them over to new discs is a very good option! I'll consider it when I some day will try to preserve them better by backing them up on some new sturdy medium, like Bluray or something.
    And I know the best way would be to have a PS1 blue debugger, PS2 fat debugger AND a PS3 fat debugger. But I'm not rich, and I'd prefer to have a minimum amount of consoles. If I could find One consoles to give the overall best results, that would be perfect, and it's what I'm trying to find out here. :)

Well. So far, is a hacked/modded/debugger PS3 potentially the ultimate, overall most efficient Playstation for all three formats, and for reading the beta discs as they are now?
    I'm assuming it would do the job, even if it only emulates the data from PS1 and PS2 (I don't really know what that means..) as it's supposed to be able to run all three formats as kinda smoothly as possible.

15. Colek

Colek Spirited Member

DVD drive should be as good as well, it just has to read the data from disc, and Bluray drive is doing far better work with very scratched discs.

Diablodin likes this.
  16. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Doesn't PS3 use a Bluray laser? Would that mean in theory that PS3 would read most formats, especially a bit scratched discs best? Or am I far off as usual....

17. GodofHardcore

PS1 accessories will work on PS3 But they won't work on PS1 games. It's weird

18. King_of_PS

King_of_PS Site Supporter 2015

Personally I use an original model PS3 Test, just to save having the clutter of several machines in my setup.
    I do have all the other models just in case - like mentioned above, the matching PS model normally works best.

Again, making a good quality backup ensures the damaged disc can be stored away and you can still use the game itself

19. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Another option may be to adjust the pots on the laser. Back in the day folks would do that to make their PS1s read CDRs better or to fix failing lasers.

20. Lionheart

Lionheart Robust Member

Maybe find a cheap USB adaptor instead of the offical one (if there was one). I use a Sega Saturn to USB converter and it works on my PS3 (I use it for fighters) even with PS1 games so it's strange that PS1 games wont work with an actual PS1 controller