Mods for the PSX DVR?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by LeHaM, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I think that it would be better to use the DVRP's functions to format the disk (it is functions to adjust the disk's capacity).
    Although you should know that it is far cheaper in the long run to just play your games with a CEX PlayStation 2. The HDD unit of the PSX will not last forever and there is no way to replace it.

That warning is for users of APAEXT, which was a custom formatting scheme that the DMS4 ToxicOS used.
    Historically, the APA driver always used the whole disk for itself. APAEXT, on the other hand, formats up to the first 137GB for use with SONY software (the normal APA scheme). The 48-bit LBA region is hence used for the ToxicOS software.

2. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

3. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

That's the xFlash device I was talking about. It can be software-accessed, even in PS2 mode, with iomanX, PFLASH and PXFROMMAN. It screams "Free xFromBoot me !" lol ;) .

4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The PFLASH module provides low-level access to the flash device, so it also allows the 64Mbit NAND chip to be easily dumped and flashed. No actual hardware hax even needed.
    If I am not wrong, XFROMMAN seems to be based on MCMAN. So its functions are not totally unknown.

5. GreatDragon

GreatDragon PSX DESR-5000 UPDATE DISC 1.20

1) What last version FMCB for PSX ?
    2) Compatible all PSX ?
    3) As correctly install , Install (Normal , Cross) or Multi) ?

6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

v1.953, which is the most recent version of FMCB.

Yes.

No, you need to install for the PSX. There is an option for that, on one of the other pages.

LeHaM likes this.
  7. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

Hello! Been messing with my PSX for a few weeks now. I came across a handful of YouTube videos and followed them, but I have had very little luck.I followed the instructions but time after time it did not function at all. I restarted in hopes that I took a misstep, and I must have because the outcome was different. Now every time the memory card is plugged in it blinks and flashes garbage against a dead, black screen. Pop the card out, boots up fine! Put it back, flickering black screen. So I decided to go over everything one last time and I realized I was working with FMCB 1.92 instead of 1.93. Is this the fatal flaw that killed me or is there something else I'm missing?

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

A long time ago, there was no automatic way to install FMCB for the PSX. Nowadays, you can automatically make one with a regular PlayStation 2 by selecting the PSX installation option.

9. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

wait, that's a thing? Jesus I stop using my ps2 for a few years and the world changes. So what would be the process now?

10. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Just install FMCB like you would. But instead of selecting the regular install options, press L1/R1 until you find the page with the install option for the PSX.

Armorant likes this.
  11. stayhye

stayhye Member

I can't find any info on this, but does HDLGameInstaller allow game installs on the PSX? The version I tried complains about no hdd....

12. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

13. stayhye

stayhye Member

14. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

You need to check if the "Game arena" for PS2 games is 40GB and not a 0.