Mods for the PSX DVR?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by LeHaM, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

No, sorry. I'm not good with this, and I prefer the community to help out with that. ;)
    I find developing PS2 software already so taxing, so I like others to help me with the other stuff.

Yes. Although I didn't actually try it myself. I know that it works in theory, but I'm not sure whether offset 0x28 is really the right offset or not because I've long stopped relying on such hackish methods, ever since I had my own SECRMAN module to sign stuff for me (but it doesn't work here because the retail PS2 does not accept stuff for the PSX).

This method was originally thought of by l_Oliveira.

On a side note, please take note that this method only works here because of the tool that was used to create the FMCB binaries. It may not work in other cases.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. breech

breech Member

Thanks for all your hard work sp193.
    All of the details on v1.93 can be found at psxscene, I believe this is the main thread.

3. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Tried it on my 5500 and the system just gets stuck on a black screen...

4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Wait a sec... did you modify XFMCB.XLF with the signature from the FMCB installation? The PS2 KELF won't work on a PSX.

FMCB.XLF -> the installed file for retail sets, which gets installed as osdmain.elf or osdXXX.elf.
    XFMCB.XLF -> for the PSX

Both seem to have the same Kbit and Kc fields, so it should work...

I re-read your earlier post, and it doesn't seem like you did that? If you didn't... well, sorry for not reading your post properly. :/

5. I AM ME

I AM ME Spirited Member

so, if one did do this to a psx would the console be able to boot games off of the hard drive? probably a dumb question. i discovered my dvd drive lazer in my ps2 is going out :/ having one of these would be cool to play my backups.

ps( i know the psx is way more expensive than a lazer, i just have wanted a psx for a while and sinse my ps2 will only read official ps2 games. )

6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Yes, you can... but only with the late revisions of OPL. Beware that the HDD unit of the PSX is not replaceable at all, and most of the console will become dysfunctional after the HDD unit dies, as it contains the firmware.

However, the XMB will not be able to handle the HDLoader-format games well because they are not stored in PFS partitions. When attempting to either view the properties of the game or to delete the game, the XMB may freeze up.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Yeah I did edit it in hex.

When I insert the MC and turn the PSX on, the blue light on the dvd drive glows in and out then after 1 minute it freezes sort of half on (only haf brightness) and I cant turn the system off..

Could you maybe upload a copy of your FMCB install (or just your modified osdmain.elf file) and I will try that..

Thanks

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It won't work because my card has a different MCID from yours. If the KELF cannot be signed manually with the signature from the installed retail KELF, then we'll all have to just make do with the other two installation methods. :/

9. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Maybe I used the hex editor wrong..

10. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Maybe thats why.. what if I send you my files and you could patch them? that way we will know for sure :)

11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

KELFTwinSigner v1.00

This is a tool that allows you to sign a KELF's identical "twin", with the signature of a signed KELF. Both KELFs must have the same Kbit and Kc values, and must be used on the same memory card.

Usage: KelfTwinSigner <signed KELF> <KELF to be signed>

Downloads/links
    KELFTwinSigner v1.00 (binary): http://www.mediafire.com/?52m0d80l8pamiml
    KELFTwinSigner v1.00 (source code): KELFTwinSigner v1.00: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r2yssil27b5t2m4/[140202]KELFTwinSigner.7z

Alright, here's a sure-win way of getting it done. I tried the twin-signing process myself, and my PSX (DESR-5100) accepted the KELF that I signed.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Download FMCB v1.93 and install it for a retail PS2. Install it on the memory card that you will be using for your PSX.
    2. Copy the installed FMCB binary (either osdmain.elf or osdXXX.elf, where Xs make up a number) from the memory card, using uLaunchELF. It's located in a system folder, which is named according to your PlayStation 2 console's region*.
    3. Download KELFTwinSigner. Extract KelfTwinSigner.exe.
    4. Extract install/SYSTEM/XFMCB.XLF from the FMCB v1.93 installer package. Rename it to become xosdmain.elf, and unset the read-only attribute.
    5. Place both the FMCB binary that you had extracted from your memory card and xosdmain.elf in the same place as KelfTwinSigner.exe.
    6. Open a command prompt, and navigate to the place where you stored the files above.
    7. Enter KelfTwinSigner.exe <osd file> xosdmain.elf at the command prompt. <osd file> is the FMCB binary that you extracted earlier.
    8. Copy the signed xosdmain.elf onto your memory card as BIEXEC-SYSTEM/xosdmain.elf, using uLaunchELF.

Now, if you don't know how to use the command prompt, I suggest that you create a folder on your C:\ like "fmcb". Put all the files in there.
    When you're supposed to navigate to it, just enter "cd C:\fmcb" into the command prompt".

I hope that this is simple enough for everybody to follow.

*System folders:

• NTSC-J (Japan): BIEXEC-SYSTEM
    • NTSC-U: BAEXEC-SYSTEM
    • PAL: BEEXEC-SYSTEM
    • NTSC-C: BCEXEC-SYSTEM
    • NTSC-J (Asia): BAEXEC-SYSTEM

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  12. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Ok cool thanks, command prompt stuff is a lot easier for me lol..

Now with the install of FMCB I will just go normal install, no cross region stuff?? I am in PAL land BTW..

But the rest seems pretty straight forward.

13. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Ok so I have got it working on the PSX now, i had the two elfs the wrong way round..

BUT FMCB isn't loading properly, the FMCB logo comes up then tries to load but then goes to the xmb instead however I can go to the config by holding start and then change it to boot straight into the file browser. Elfs do wrok if I manually open them, but the FMCb brower just does not auto start....
    any ideas??

14. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Just FYI, since you already got it done: the FMCB binary is multi-region, although the system folders are not. So any of those "cross-something" installation modes simply copies the same file into a different place, so that consoles from different regions will still find them.

Firstly, congratulations on getting it working! :D

FMCB browser? FMCB never had a browser on its own. For the retail sets, it simply hacked its way into the regular Playstation 2 browser/OSDSYS.

The PSX doesn't have that browser, but the XMB instead. Since the XMB is a totally different beast that is far more complicated than the OSDSYS, it is not supported.

AND... I just realized that I forgot to mention that anywhere. See just how small the PSX FMCB user base is? FMCB v1.93 has been out for a good 5 months now, and nobody told me that. :/

15. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

So I have been messing around with it, I can get Ulaunch to boot up with the console, as I expected a lot of the HDD iso loaders dont work..

Is there an a just for booting imports?

Also ulaunch cant open the disc drive to see the data on the disc..

So it seems it works then does not work at the same time Hmmm...

16. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It's because of the bug in the DVRP's firmware, which causes its ATA interface emulation to have a problem with 48-bit LBA.

Use OPL v0.9.2, as that one already has the new ATAD module.

Use OPL. Or ESR, if ESR works.

Really? Is your laser alright? Maybe it's a little weak.

What sort of disc did you try? Remember that console is still region-locked, so you must use NTSC-J discs with it.

17. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I see, now it all makes sense now -shifty eyes- lol

What it needs then is some sort of stand alone front end to launch apps ect..

18. stayhye

stayhye Member

I've tried everything i can think of to get games on the PSX HDD.......How can one install games to the OSX HDD?

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Good question. I just realized that none of the public tools can do that! D:

One probably has to compile a new copy of a game installer like HDLGameInstaller or any one of the HDLDump servers, with the new ATAD module from the HEAD revision of the PS2SDK.

20. stayhye

stayhye Member

I can't compile so that out of the question....