Mods for the PSX DVR?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by LeHaM, Nov 27, 2013.

1. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

So as some of you might know a little while ago I picked up a fully working psx console.
    Since then I have sort of forgotten about it (Picked up 3 new systems since then).

I'm interested in knowing whats been going on with the modding scene lately in regards to this beast of a machine?

I heard that FreeMC boot was being ported over to the psx but have not found a definite answer as of late.

Any ideas/help is much appreciated!

P:S Should I paint it? its the 5500 so the psx logo is not printed on...

thanks

2. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

Maby try too find a modchip for it?
    i found that the ghost modchip work on this model.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have ghost chips in stock

4. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

i found out that free mcboot 1.93 works with the PSX

You just need a way too boot the .elf file
    easy is with a swapmagic disc.
    otherwise you can maby swap the disc, if that is a option, or the chip.

5. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I did email the guys who made the ghost chip and they said that they weren't 100% sure if the chip worked on the PSX because they could not test it.
    ,if someone can find the install diagram I'd buy a chip.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Any other ideas guys? Can't seem to find much info of FREEMCBOOT actually working on the psx? no pictures nothing :(

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

nothing................................... hmmm

8. I AM ME

I AM ME Spirited Member

if there was some way ot make it have the english language i would totally pick one up, i love how the psx looks compared to the ps2. is there a way?

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It can be done with either the PSX itself (via the FMCB v1.93 installer), or with the PS3MCA tools.

What would you like to see? The FMCB logo? It doesn't have anything special, when compared to FMCB for the retail PS2.
    Nearly nobody has a PSX, I suppose. Like with most of my other minor projects, there has been little attention given to this one.

10. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Now that we know how the PSX works, considering how different the PSX BIOS turned out to be, how it loads the XMB "dashboard" (MG encripted) bootfiles from a internal flash memory, and how all the stuff on the HDD is also encrypted, I don't think Ghost2 modchip works in it at all.

Also considering that nobody ever came up with a wiring diagram for the install, I am forced to believe that it was just a rumor it worked on the PSX.

11. iCEQB

iCEQB Peppy Member

Sorry to bump this "old" thread, but the Ghost2 in PSX rumor is (sadly) not true.
    I checked their page via the internet archive and the last working snapshots are close to the time when their site went offline and there was no clue anywhere, that their modchip supported the PSX series.
    But it supports v0 and v1 models, which is also something that not all chips do afaik.

12. 360owns

360owns Rising Member

i myself have a psx to, the 250gb version. i bought it years ago from a japanese seller, it was like almost new, complete with everything in the box and sealed, but i hooked it on the tv , messed around for a few minutes put it away, and since then it still in the box.. i spoke years ago on some gameboy rom site (i think) with a guy who was working on one of these, he told me that he took i think a modbo and put a switch between them to force it to boot backup ps2 games... never seen any proof of this, but if anyone could make this thing region free, that would be great

13. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

If it was isozone then just throw away any hope of it being true. It's mostly arrogant know it all's there.

14. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

How about just using ESR with it? Modding such a rare console feels painful, not to mention that it's so expensive to maintain. It'll eventually fail if it is used for frequent gaming.

15. FamicomLover

FamicomLover Rising Member

I would love to see mods for this thing, but considering its rarity, it is VERY unlikely...

16. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

It's already modded. One can play copied discs in it, and even Open PS2 Loader will work in it. That's enough modding to make anyone happy.

But it's SOFTWARE based.

17. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

So we need a copy of swap magic to mod it then? :)

18. I AM ME

I AM ME Spirited Member

id imagine, i somewhat doubt it would boot free mcboot due to the fact it doesnt have the standard ps2 boot menu, would be cool to see if anyone could find a way to browse the hdd...

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I made it work. FMCB supports the PSX as of v1.93.

The PSX has rom0:OSDSYS, which still looks for updates on the memory card, internal flash storage, and the HDD unit.

It is now possible to browse the HDD... but only if you compile a new copy of uLaunchELF with the latest PS2SDK revision. It's because of a design fault in the PSX's ATA interface emulation, which was only worked around recently.

Since this is FMCB that we're talking about, we're not going to modify the console since FMCB doesn't change anything in the console.

To answer your question, yes. But there are actually three ways to get FMCB installed for the PSX:

1. Install it via the FMCB installer on the PSX itself, started with Swapmagic.
    2. Install it with the tools from the PS3MCA set.
    3. Manually sign the FMCB KELF on your own with a hex editor, and place it on your memory card as mc:/BIEXEC-SYSTEM/xosdmain.elf.

For #3, it goes something like this:

1. Install FMCB v1.93 for a retail PS2 onto your memory card (this card will be used for the PSX FMCB installation). A normal installation will do.
    2. Copy the FMCB binary that was installed onto the memory card. The file (either osdmain.elf or osdXXX.elf, where the Xs are numbers) will be stored in one of these folders, depending on your console's region:
      NTSC-J -> BIEXEC-SYSTEM
      NTSC-U -> BAEXEC-SYSTEM
      PAL -> BEEXEC-SYSTEM
      NTSC-C -> BCEXEC-SYSTEM
      NTSC-J (Asian) -> BAEXEC-SYSTEM
    3. Open the installed FMCB binary with a hex editor. Copy the 32 bytes at offset 0x28.
    4. Open install/SYSTEM/XFMCB.xlf of the FMCB installer with a hex editor. Overwrite the 32 bytes at offset 0x28, with the 32 bytes of data copied in (3).
    5. Copy the modified XFMCB.xlf file onto your memory card as mc:/BIEXEC-SYSTEM/xosdmain.elf.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  20. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

cool thanks for the info sp193! :D
    Could you maybe make a tutorial?

So #3 setup would basically involve installing FMCB via normal PS2, extracting a file off the MC (to a USB using the PS2?), modifying it in a hex editor, copying said file back to the MC (via the file browser thing in FMCB), then putting the MC into the PSX and Booting up?> :)

is it that easy?