Modern games that have become all time favorites?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Mar 20, 2018.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Most people seem to lean towards the games they grew up on. For me Sonic and Mega man have always topped my list. Street Fighter of course, 8 and 16 Bit Mario. A lot of Dreamcast stuff I loved.

But every now and then a franchise creeps up on you and you love it so much it bumps all the aboved mention off the top of that list.

That's me now with the Yakuza series and Neir Automata.

Kind of curious what modern games have become the all time favorites of others.

Shadha likes this.
  2. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

My favorite modern game (and game in general) is The Last of Us. I am a huge fan of linear cinematic games with great character development. I've probably played through it like 5 times since it came out. And I'm very excited for the sequel. :)
    EDIT: Game came out in 2013 btw

Pinta77, -=FamilyGuy=- and Shadha like this.
  3. Shadha

Shadha #LongLiveTheBromanRevolution

Fallout 4. I doubt I will ever pass the amount of time ive played on Pokemon, but itll be close. Never been more emerged into a game

MBMM likes this.
  4. Kaeser

Kaeser Active Member

I skipped on Splatoon, but since number 2 came out I've been totally hooked. Without any hesitation I believe this is the best thing to happen to console shooters since Halo and Goldeneye.

For indie games, Hollow Knight is so awesome and restored faith that Kickstarters can deliver the goods.

5. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

For me: Rust. It's toxic, brutal, but damned entertaining. I haven't gotten into an online game like this for years. Shit, I even watch YouTubers play it.

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

The Bit.Trip series plus the Runner series it spawned. I can play them again and again and again. I'm ashamed to say how many times I've purchased these games to get them on everything they're available on..

begallegal1 likes this.
  7. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Wolfenstien new order, old blood and colossus series.

Armorant likes this.
  8. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The Last of Us really is apart as far as storytelling goes. It's better than most movies nowadays. It'd be my pick too, an instant classic.

I also played the Metroid II remake recently on someone else's 3DS and I was thoroughly impressed as a fan of the GBA Metroids. I played for only 2 hours but I'm thinking on buying a used 3DS just for that game. So it'd be my second pick.

jakeeeenator likes this.
  9. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

The Last of us stayed with me for a really REALLY long time. I'm in the modern classic club with that one too. it was the first game I played after taking a film analysis class and the first game I could really look at as film.

But I've developed more of an attachment to the Yakuza series. There's a little Kiryu in all of us.

It's been a year since I went through Nier Automata and I still think about it and watch analysis videos on it even now. A friend and I are in a heated debate over who's hotter, 2B, A2 or Bayonetta (I'm Team Bayonetta)

jakeeeenator and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  10. -=FamilyGuy=-

That scene with the brothers: the sound, the silence... fade to black, the music.

On my first play through I heard myself gasp right after the fade to black, I had stopped breathing for most of that scene. I guess that's what breathtaking means.

PS: The two-parts soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla is amazing BTW.

jakeeeenator likes this.
  11. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Wait, do you divide games you like into "old" and "modern"? Is that a common thing to do? In my mind, all games are just games. I like the games I like and I don't like the games I don't like. Eg. my favourite games right now are Mega Man 2, Burnout Paradise Remastered, Yakuza 0, Trackmania Turbo, Street Fighter II, and The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile - there's no division between eras.

12. -=FamilyGuy=-

It's all relative/personal for each of us, but for the sake of this thread, here's how I'd classify it.

Old: I was a kid / living at my parent's.
    New/Modern: Since I've been an adult / living on my own.

The idea is that an old game might be terrible, but you're fond of it because you grew up with it.

Bonus

Retro: I can't remember the period / I wasn't born.

13. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Then technically 90% of the games I've played would count as old, I'm 19. :p And none of the games I've played would count as modern by that definition. :D

14. -=FamilyGuy=-

I see no problem with that, youngling. ;)

15. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

For me the scenes that got me the most is the end of the intro and when Joel and Ellie are arguing after she ran away. The feels where strong with those scenes.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  16. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Couldn’t agree more. Last of us is a masterpiece the way I see it. Even though the gameplay itself isn’t the best, it’s very good and appears very life like. And of course the story is amazing! This game was out for PS3 when I was in highschool, but I never played it until I got a PS4, so the last of us hype is still fresh for me.

Aside from that, I think Infamous Second Son is my favorite modern game. Again, good story telling, some great graphics, and really fun gameplay.

jakeeeenator likes this.
  17. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Rising Member

The Witcher 3 stands alongside Shenmue and Super Mario Bros 3 as one of my favourite video games of all-time.

18. begallegal1

begallegal1 Spirited Member

Modern favorites:
    1. Super Meat Boy
    2. blur

These 2 games for lack of a better way to put it, have ruined my ability to enjoy other "similar" games. (As a fan of BitTrip/Runner games I am sure @speedyink can relate to this)

I simply cannot explain why I enjoy these games so much. Both are well made, one "bombed" the other did not, one is forgotten the other is released on current platforms, one you can't even buy on steam anymore while the other still gets occasional updates. The list goes on and on with no real logical reasoning behind why these games continue to top my list for what is now approaching a decade.
    Why have they ruined this ability to enjoy "similar" games?
    I think the main point is that they strike that perfect nerve that cannot be recreated. This makes it nearly impossible for any other "similar" games to stack up on the same level. It probably also has some to do with the fact that I don't have any hardware to play "current gen" games LOL!

19. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Demon's Souls

Pikmin likes this.
  20. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I'd agree with others and say TLoU is a great choice. I believe Far Cry 3 would fit in as well just due to how influential it was.

Somehow nobody has mentioned Skyrim? I don't even like the game all that much but there's no questioning the impact.

GTA V would probably fit into this category as well. As with Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda: BotW.

jakeeeenator likes this.