Model 1 Sega CD help

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Sheimi, May 23, 2019.

1. Sheimi

Sheimi Active Member

2. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

Decap and clean the tray switches. That’s a common problem on the Sony drives. Probably should do the laser inner track switch too unless you want the big white gear to shred itself.

3. Sheimi

Sheimi Active Member

I did clean one switch last night. Re-assembled. The grinding sound did go away I think...but may come back. The black piece that is used to lower and raise the drive has a piece missing, so I gotta fix that. I will clean the inner track switch also after work tonight. Anything you recommend I should buy to clean the switches?

4. Tokimemofan

I usually use a sheet of paper and carefully pinch the 2 contacts around then pull it out. 1 dirty switch will cause the tray to come out and then go back in, the other will cause the tray to go in and then back out. The laser switch usually causes grinding when first reading a disc. Usually all 3 need a cleaning on the Sony drives. Check the white gear for damage to the lower half of the gear, sometimes the cogs will shear off due to the grinding. Make sure to align the tray correctly when reassembling the drive. And if you have disc reading problems don’t assume the laser is at fault, I have never had to replace one on any Sega CD hardware, the problems generally lie elsewhere.

5. Sheimi

Sheimi Active Member

I did a deep clean this morning of the switches. It looks like the white/clear piece that goes over the switches is broken. So the top part doesn't go through the hole. I will be cleaning the laser switch and checking the white gear for damage. Then fix the black piece that has a hole for the spot to get caught when it raises up and down. If you do know where to buy a replacement switch thing. Please post.

6. Tokimemofan

Are you located in the USA?

7. Sheimi

Sheimi Active Member

Yes I am.

8. Tokimemofan

PM me a photo of the parts you need, I probably have spares for all of them

9. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

10. Sheimi

Sheimi Active Member

Ohh, if that's the case then...I'll just take it from my Sega Saturn that I never use.