Modding sony PVM 20N5A to have RGB inputs

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by steven, Jun 28, 2014.

1. steven

steven Member

I have picked up a PVM 20N5A for next to nothing. It is a great monitor that is lacking RGB.
    The service manual covers the models that do. It's very easy to obtain.

I have the necessary experience to work on this equipment. I would like to mod it to the next model up, which has RGB!

All that is missing off my model is the button for RGB, the BNC connectors and associated input circuitry.
    I could prototype this stuff on a perfboard and fit the BNC connectors quite easily.

Looking in the service manual I see the component differences are very minimal, and the jungle IC seems to have some MODEL inputs and associated resistors to select the model.

Rather than come up some circuitry to inject the RGB into the jungle IC, modding the components in such a way seems to be a real winner here. Perhaps most of the RGB components for the input card are already installed, minus the BNC connectors.

The only bad thing I could see happening is perhaps the EEPROM might have some model number stored in it and it may get a bit upset with these changes.

Any thoughts?

2. niall

niall Active Member

Haha I almost picked that N5 up myself for the same purpose!

3. steven

steven Member

s4ipbm4.jpg
    Success! So far!

Installing R30 (10 ohm) has definitely unlocked the relevant RGB stuff (sync and aspect ratio) in the menus. This was not accessible before.

Now I need to
    - Find BNCs that mount nicely in the predrilled holes for RGB and sync.
    - Add the smt components missing on the input board (nothing too difficult)
    - Add the missing coupling caps and remove a wire link on the main board.

Question
    I'm unsure of 1 part for the EXT SYNC BUFFER on the Q board. A zener diode D1322 ( part MTZJ-T-77-11A)
    I don't have a clue what it does or know for certain the zener voltage. Google tells me 11V.
    Any CRT or PVM gurus here that can shed a little light?

4. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Nice stuff!!

I have been collecting an awful lot of CRT tvs lately. Really everyone is getting rid of their CRT at this time in my town, they are everywhere.

I hope I can do the same with some tvs. Apparently there are some models out there, notably Sony and Samsung that are rather not too hard to RGB mod.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. steven

steven Member

Doing this on the cheap so parts have taken a while to arrive. The extra audio in (I doubt it will be used) will be BNC as the strange crimp on style of RCA connectors used here are too hard to source).

59Jsjcb.jpg

As seen all BNCs are on so now...
    1. Wire links for the through holes in the board need to be added.
    2. Excess solder from the wave solder process removed from un-populated part of the board.
    3. Surface mount components, wire links, then through hole components installed.
    4. Put it all together!

6. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

Tempted to buy one, but PVMs cost $140 on Craigslist.

7. steven

steven Member

Confirming a successful mod!
    It took forever and a day for the BNC to Scart adapter delivery.

Considering I spent $1 buying the PVM-20N5A and only just watched an RGB PVM-20L2 sell for over $150 I'm quite happy.

ID4 likes this.
  8. TenMillimeterAuto

TenMillimeterAuto Insert dank title here.

Sorry for necrobumping this, this is the only thread I have seen for RGB modding a non RGB Sony PVM.
    I have a Sony PVM 14N5U (non-RGB) and was wondering if the soldering points would be the same on the rear I/O board. Also did you have to solder a front button to toggle to the RGB input?
    Once again, sorry admins for bumping this :/
    (If you want you can just PM me)

Oakleaf and takeshi385 like this.
  9. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

necrobump again. Im trying to RGB mod a 14N5U to. seems like all i need to do is populate the board acoring to the service manual and then... connect the cn1303 to where?....Ok got it. r30 populated. Dupont heather soldered at both sides. I think I have all i need except the bncs.

will update with pictures when i get this done in a couple of weeks. In the meen time, any guidance is apriciated. Like wich transistors thats equivalent and wich diodes to use....
    xuze the bad spelling....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Nully likes this.
  10. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

got all smd resistors soldered. next is smd caps and then.. look for information on diodes and transistors... help?

So I went ahead and soldred all the diodes, I took wath I had at hand. 1N4148s for all normal diodes, and a standars 10v zener for the high precision 11v zener.

Im a bit worried about the zener, its for the sync buffering circuit. I resoned that 1v lower is better then higher and that the excess heat will be minimal. Time or good advice in time will tell :)

waiting for some good transistors that i hope will work.

Not much left before testing time is at hand!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019