[MOD] Aladdin XBlast

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by bennydiamond, Dec 29, 2014.

1. nextria

nextria Active Member

Hello everyone,

I still got a couple of Aladdin chips and want to reprogram them.
    Been reading (most) of the thread and only have a couple of questions about the hardware needed.

For the Lattice JTAG programmer I was thinking about this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32899880014.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.37942e0eKp7mgO

For the chip I want to order :
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2023606906.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0er51xDE

For the programmer I am not sure what to buy, I also wand a programmer so I can make SNES repro's in the future, so I was looking at the Top3000:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32780285334.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0e0CAabL

Or maybe just buy a cheap one now like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32905331362.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0e0CAabL

As seen in a post form Bad_ad a SOIC8 clamp I easy:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1902568501.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0e0CAabL

What would you think, will I have everything to program the chips if I order like this ?

2. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

Looks good, I'd go with the TL866 since that one is pretty popular so you might have better luck with community support.

3. Difio

Difio Member

Since bennydiamond is not selling Xblast lite anymore, there are no more easy way to add an LCD to the xbox (apart from find and buying some used lcd-ready modchip). So I was thinking if could be possibile to reprogram an aladdin xt with the only purpose of adding a parallel port on the LPC bus to drive hd44780 display. As far as I've understood reading bennydiamond's post, the LCD support on the aladdin xblast could not be added since "space" on CPLD is fully occupied by Xblast code. So, searching on the internet I found that in 2005 was released a chip called LCD-MOD that provide the xbox of a parallel and spi port (https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article1220.html). This chip, based on the same CPLD of an aladdin xt 64, could be added to the LPC bus without needing to remove the standard modchip (since LCD-mod chip doesnt have flash to store hacked BIOS on it). So after discover this solution I started thinking if we could "simply" getting another aladdin xt 32 chip, program the CPLD only with the code for the LCD interface and add it to the LPC bus in parallel with the aladdin xblast as for lcd-mod chip. Without the need of xblast code in CPLD, there is enough space to do this @bennydiamond?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

5. nextria

nextria Active Member

I bought the above Lattice JTAG programmer,
    But I am running into driver problems.
    It keeps saying failed to load lsc windows usb driver. I tried different ways of installing other drivers but it is not working, I am running windows 10 anyone got an idea ? Or use this programmer too ?

6. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

I had issues with windows 10 as well. I think its something to do with Windows driver enforcement. I was able to install it on my windows 7 machine just fine (I had Driver enforcement turned off already on it)

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You can turn driver enforcement off on windows 10 too. Any drivers you install while it's off work fine when it's back on too (you only disable it until next reboot).

That's assuming this is the issue.

8. nextria

nextria Active Member

Well I installed windows 7 in a VM and before installing turned of the driver enforcement
    and now I don't get the error !

I only get an error now please check the tag signals connection.
    Could this be because I have a HW-USBN-2A I have to power it separately ?

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You can disable driver enforcement in Windows 10. Just click start, type in advanced boot. Click restart and its one of the options.

10. nextria

nextria Active Member

I know Bad_Ad84 I tried this but it is not working.
    I think I messed to much with the drivers already

I am using the “clamps” like you but it can’t find the chip. A couple pages back someone made it work providing the chip with 3,3v externally.

Do I also have to do this?
    And what programmer are you using Bad_Ad84?

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I use an Elnec Beeprog+ Latest version is Elnec Beeprog2

12. nextria

nextria Active Member

Wow that is an expensive one :)
    With this one you can program the SST49LF080A and the CPLD ?

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

14. nextria

nextria Active Member

That’s nice, but I don’t have the money for it now
    I have to find a way to get it to work with the HW-USBN-2A I have now

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You likely just need to supply external power. Theres a conversation earlier in this thread where we found one version supports supplying power and the rest dont (and need it externally)

16. nextria

nextria Active Member

Thanks I will try that :)

17. nextria

nextria Active Member

Okay so I got it to work finally!,
    on my Mac I made a VM of windows 7,turned of the driver enforcement and installed all the software.

The problem was with the HW-USBN-2A, you really need to supply the 3.3 volt separately,
    the only way I could think of doing this was by using my Arduino Uno board.

On the Uno I just used the 3.3volt and the ground and combined them with the VCC and ground on the
    HW-USBN-2A.
    I used a soic8 adapter like Bad_Ad84, altho you need to find the sweet spot it works really well.

I also bought a TL866II Plus and with it I could program the SST49LF080A chip perfectly.

I just change my chip out for an Aladdin Xblast and everything seems to be okay !

18. nextria

nextria Active Member

I have another question, I installed the chip on my 1.6 xbox, and everything is working fine.
    Only when I power off the console the light form the chip stays on, I installed the L1 Wire like stated, and everything is working fine.
    Should I still go back to D0 ?

19. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

If memory serves, you can pull some pins from the header on a 1.6 so it doesn't get constant power.

But it really shouldn't matter much.

This is from fuzzy hangover brain, so take with appropriate salt.

20. nextria

nextria Active Member

Sounds like You had a great evening yesterday :D I pulled out pin 4, but the light still on.

It’s just with my crystal case it shows so much when it’s if.

I think it was pin 6 the 5v you could take out? I am. Not sure anymore