[MOD] Aladdin XBlast

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by bennydiamond, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Leang

Leang king solomon's Angkor Temple

In red in the image, how do I do that?

Attached Files:

2. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

I didn't even think about this option, this would be way better than the flashbios on the backup rom because it has all the options right there for recovery

3. Leang

in the image I did it. and when I power on, it restarted two time in green and then orange light started flashing and the fan starts roaring(spin fast) and automatically just power off.

Attached Files:

4. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

If you have another modchip, install it and boot the Xbox. After running/booting Evox dashboard, pull the modchip from the LPC header. Connect the second modchip, modified Aladdin_XBlast, to the LPC pin header. Select the System Utils -> Flash BIOS to write/flash the XBlastOS v0.55 to the SST49LF080A on the upgraded Aladdin_XBlast modchip.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Leang likes this.
  5. KaosEngineer

If you install a modified Aladdin_XBlast modchip in a v1.6 Xbox, you should not need to cut the LFRAME trace as bennydiamond's updated CPLD code properly disables drive to LFRAME. Use the Aladdin_XBlast's L1 pad for connection to LFRAME.

On v1.0-1.5 Xbox's, instead of L1 use D0 pad on modchip for connection to D0 point/via on Xbox motherboard.

Leang likes this.
  6. KaosEngineer

L1 and BT on the original Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip are used for power button (BT) length mode selection enable/disable modchip (some Aladdin modchips used a 2 second power button press to disable write protection of the flash) and L1 to front panel LED for ??? (seen a couple different functions signalled on LED but not sure which is correct). I've not used L1 or BT on Aladdin XT plus2 connected to the front panel power button and LED connect points to verify functionality stated above.

These pads, L1 and BT, are not used in the same manner once the Aladdin XT plus 2's CPLD has been reprogrammed with the Aladdin_XBlast logic code using a JTAG programmer and proper SFV file.

L1 -> LFRAME of a v1.6 Xbox.
    BT -> ??? (default bank select)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  7. Leang

can you recommend where I can buy the JTAG programmer?

8. KaosEngineer

You could build one as bennydiamond did (see first post this thread and docs in the archive). Or, if you use urJTAG software look here for a long list of supported JTAG adapter/cables. If your PC doesn't have a true parallel printer port, there are several supported USB versions listed. It seems some of those cables are no longer in production. :(

Also, read more about the software and an updated list of supported adapter/cables:
    Homebrew USB JTAG adapter project.

Try Amazon too for the Altera USB Blaster/Blaster 2. Similar less expensive products are listed under the "Customers who bought this item also bought" section.

Not exactly sure which will or will NOT work. I've not used any of them to program a Lattice LC4032V CPLD -- as I've not yet performed this mod.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Leang likes this.
  9. Leang

in red, do the Aladdin xt modchip goes there?

Attached Files:

10. KaosEngineer

Yes, look at the PDF docs in the archive. Bennydiamond's also included a schematic for a USB JTAG programmer you could build instead of the Parallel Port JTAG programmer.

Parallel JTAG Programmer Header
    Parallel Cable JTAG Header.JPG
    JTAG Programmer Header => AladdinXT JTAG Pads
    =========================================
    pin 8 SCLK => TCK
    pin 7 GND => GND (user supplied power)
    pin 6 MODE => TMS
    pin 5 RESET => no connection
    pin 4 -ispEN => no connection
    pin 3 SDIN => TDI
    pin 2 SDOUT => TDO
    pin 1 Vcc (3.3V) => 3.3V (user supplied power)
    Bennydiamond or Bad_Ad84 a bit of help here. Thanks!

Not quite sure if these are the correct connections to the JTAG pads on the Aladdin XT plus 2. I looked at another Xilinx download cable, not quite the same as a Lattice isp Cable - guess I looked at the wrong JTAG cable for comparison, and it had a different ordering of the pins and only the 6 JTAG signals not 8 shown above. That's why the RESET and -ispEN have no connection. Get some Dupont jumper wires with 1 end terminated female header and the other end a male pin to solder to the Aladdin XT. (Use a different color for the six connections to help keep things straight. [Red - Vcc (3.3V), Black - GND, and 4 other colors for TCK, TMS, TDI and TDO]

Lattice Parallel Programming Cable Wire Color Code
    Lattice JTAG Signal Color Coding.JPG

You'll need a 3.3V power supply connected to pin 1 (3.3V) and pin 7 (GND) of the 1x8 header to power the programmer and AladdinXT's LC4032V CPLD chip (modchip is not installed in Xbox to program the CPLD).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Leang likes this.
  11. Leang

in red underline in the image, I might put a switch if I flash the modchip with a 256kb flash protect .svf, is the 2nd flash bank will be accessible?

Attached Files:

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

there is no second bank on the 256kb only version

Leang likes this.
  13. KaosEngineer

Aladdin XT plus 2 updated CPLD non-XBlast code versions support either:
    1. one (1) 256KByte bank (2Mbits) with the stock flash memory chip,
    2. two (2) 512KByte banks (8Mbits) swapping out stock flash with a SST49LF080A, or
    3. one (1) 1MByte bank (8Mbits).
    These different bank configurations require different SVF files to reprogram the LC4032V CPLD. The second and third configuration also require swapping out the original 2Mbit flash, SST49LF020A, with an 8Mbit flash - SST49LF080A.

These specifics are discussed in the documentation found inside the AladdinXT_NewCode_v2.zip archive.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  14. Leang

can you make me a JTAG programmer hardware? and sale me it

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. KaosEngineer

You can probably find one cheaper on eBay than I could build.

Does your PC have a parallel printer port? If so, Lattice HW-DLN-3C on eBay for $25.00 with Free US standard shipping from Israel. wow!

Or, USB HW-USBN-2 for $18.99 + S&H.

Or, the latest ispDOWNLOAD cables at full retail price digikey.com $74.84 and $170.69, respectively.

More information from Lattice Semiconductor:
    Programming Cables for PCs

16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Unless you are making a lot of then, it's cheaper to just buy the chip pre upgraded from me for £15, including the upgraded 1MB flash chip.

If it's for fun/multiple use then disregard.

17. Leang

yes my PC has a parallel printer port. if I buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lattice-25-...3C-/253062944291?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275 , please help me how to use it? and how and what

18. Leang

maybe I will buy chip from you in the future.

19. KaosEngineer

You'll use the same software that bennydiamond shows in the first post of this thread. How to use is explained in the documentation there and also in the archive with all the SVF files attached to that post.

There does seem to be a problem finding Lattice's ispVM package for download. Lattice has their latest Diamond Software easily accessible for download/licensing on their website: http://www.latticesemi.com/Products/DesignSoftwareAndIP.aspx

However, I found a copy of the older ispVMSystem version:

hxxp://files.latticesemi.com/ispvm/18.1/ispVMSystem18.1.exe (edit uri protocol)
    (32.1MB - MD5: 9AC0F79EC6F04D9C849BF11A2428F45B)

and I'm guessing a minor update version:

hxxp://files.latticesemi.com/ispVM/ispVMSystemV18.1.1.zip (edit uri protocol)
    (31.5MB - MD5: 5EB9BEFB00F0BD802F08AE21C81A4375).

Leang likes this.
  20. Leang

How much voltage and time and watts does the Aladdin XT plus2 modchip PCB board used electricity? for example, the printed circuit board I made it only take 2.5v? think i want to upgrade our power supply output (https://assemblergames.com/threads/xbox-power-supply-help.49562/) because the modchip take up voltage and time while it is on the 1.6 motherboard.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017