[MOD] Aladdin XBlast

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by bennydiamond, Dec 29, 2014.

1. modrobert

modrobert Rising Member

Hmm, I didn't realize the XBlast Lite supported LCD, had no intention of hijacking thread or project/product.

After reading a bit more it seems like Aladdin XBlast doesn't support LCD, right?

Anyway, I have asked my friend and he will check if he still have the design files for Aladdin XT 4064, will keep you updated.

2. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Aladdin XBlast adds XBlast OS support for bank management. CPLD code barely fits in the 4032 CPLD. I managed to also implement smart LFRAME interfacing. It only alters LFRAME signaling on the motherboard for about 20ns every time LFRAME drops to 0(signaling a new LFRAME cycle request to the Xyclops) instead of forcing it to 0V for as long as the console is powered(while MCPX tries to to keep it at 3.3V).

With this in the 4032, there isn't enough space to implement LCD support. Moreover, the LCD pads on the Aladdin XT PLUS2 boards àren't even connected to the CPLD. It would require extensive modding of the Aladdin XT PCB and I don't think the cheap PCB of those Aladdins can withstand prolonged soldering without lifting pads...

XBlast Lite does have a full SmartXX-compatible LCD interface with software controlled Backlight and contrast. It also have TSOP recovery functionality like the Chameleon where you solder onto the A15 via on the motherboard. I also have a unique feature where you ca. Do a software controlled 2-way TSOP split on 1.0-1.1 boards. XBlast Lite also embark stronger current drivers to interface D0, LFRAME, A15 and A19 points on the motherboard. Other than that, BIOS bank configuration is the same as Aladdin XBlast; 1*512KB and 1*256KB user bank.

XBlast OS has a lot of cool features like RAM tester like SmartXX OS. Drive formatting for HDD up to 2TB are supported. Check out my wiki on bitbucket for more info.

3. Leang

Leang king solomon's Angkor Temple

where can I get a SST49LF080A?

4. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

Direct from the manufacturer: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/sst49lf080a (actually orders are processed by www.microchipdirect.com where you must first create an account to order) or various eBay sellers. I found that the manufacturer direct price was cheaper at the time I looked on eBay to find sellers. The eBay sellers were all a couple of U.S. dollars ($) a piece more than the factory direct price.

They arrived in 4 days even though my microchipdirect.com order's receipt showed a two week delivery time. I ordered 5 as I have 5 Aladdin XT plus 2's I'm modifying.

They, part number SST49LF080A-33-4C-NHE, are $4.74 ea up to 25. 26+ $4.22 ea. S&H was $6.78 for FedEx Thailand to my U.S. location.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  5. Leang

there is a possible way to make the code work with the SST49LF020A; whatever hardware operating system they used to flash the chip has to be the same as the original.

6. KaosEngineer

bennydiamond wrote the updated CPLD code to reprogram the Lattice LC4032V chip via JTAG port of the Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip. IIRC, as is, it only works with the SST49LF080A.

Two ways to flash the SST49LF080A:
    1. Hot-swap modchip reflash in the Xbox with a 1MB resized XBlastOS.bin file as it's only 256KB, or
    2. Use an external programmer and once flashed swap the SST49LF080A for the SST49LF020A that originally comes with the modchip.

Modchip hotswap in Xbox

Boot the Xbox with a modchip installed. Once in the replacement dashboard, EvolutionX, pull the modchip off the pin header and replace it with the CPLD updated Aladdin XT plus 2 and SST49LF080A installed. Flash the XBlastOS.bin file to the modchip. Pull it off and place into the Xbox you intend to use it. If this Xbox, connect the D0 line to your newly flashed Aladdin_XBlast modchip. Now you can flash the other two banks with different BIOS's as required for your Xbox version.

External Programmer Method

The external EEPROM programmer and a PLCC32 to DIP32 adapter are required to flash the SST49LF080A with the XBlastOS binary file from your PC. [e.g., the TL866 CS or A with the adapter on eBay. Verify that the programmer purchased lists the SST49LF080A as a device it can program.] The A version has a 6-pin ICSP port that some microprocessors use to program them compared to the CS that does not have that port. [more info] The A version will probably cost more because it has this extra feature. But looks like only a very few chips require the 6-pin serial ICSP port. The flash EEPROM doesn't use it so...

Install the modchip into your Xbox. Flash the other two banks with the BIOS's for your Xbox version.

CPLD Update via JTAG Required Too

Should be something like that to get the EEPROM flashed with the BIOS. However, updating the CPLD code on the Lattice LC4032V's another story and also required before swapping out the SST49LF020A for the SST49LF080A flash memory chip.

Aladdin XT plus 2 Becomes an Aladdin_XBlast Modchip

Two devices on the Aladdin XT plus 2 are modified - the CPLD and the EEPROM. Once both are reprogrammed, you now own an Aladdin_XBlast modchip!

7. Leang

i will do method 2. Use an external programmer and once flashed swap the SST49LF080A for the SST49LF020A that originally comes with the modchip. If I get this right, I will donate on here.

8. Leang

i

9. Leang

if i build a JTAG programmer, how do I connect the Aladdin xt to it? I don't get it when you said(Solder leads on the 6 programming pads of the Aladdin XT)

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You cant use the 20a chip. It's too small to hold xblast OS and a bios.

Xblast OS is 256kb on its Own, aka the whole size of the chip you are saying you want to use.

If you just want the chip to be flashed with improved code and don't care about xblast OS. Then don't flash the xblast cpld code. Benny released improved code that acts like a normal aladdin and uses the original 256kb chip.

Leang likes this.
  11. KaosEngineer

Leang was going to swap out the 49LF020A with an 080A. Using an external programmer to flash the new 080A with XBlastOS. I guess first go round you need to flash the entire 1MB with XBlastOS? Then, go back and flash the other two banks: 1 256KB and 1 512KB with the BIOS of your choosing.

I'd missed the link to the file for improved CPLD coding without requiring the larger flash memory too.

12. KaosEngineer

It's all shown in the files included in the zip file bennydiamond posted. Read the forum thread where bennydiamond started the discussion, "And the Aladdin XT became a decent modchip!"

A JTAG programmer connects to 3.3V, TDO, TMS, TCK, TDI and GND. The other pads labeled are the same on the top and bottom side of the PCB for connection to the Xbox when installing the modchip.

AladdinXTplus2 JTAG Pads (Component Side).png AladdinXTplus2 JTAG Pads (Back Side).png

Three (3) of the JTAG connections are on the component side and the other three (3) on the back side of the PCB.

Leang likes this.
  13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

He also said he's going with option 2 (flash externally the 49lf080) then swap it with the 49lf020a. So it certainly seems like he wants to use the 49lf020a, which you can't do with xblast.

For the non xblast code, look here:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/and-the-aladdin-xt-became-a-decent-modchip.52234/

You would want to use the 3rd one that uses the original 256kb chip.

Leang likes this.
  14. Leang

i download the zip and extract it. found .jed extension file. is the TL866CS programmer hardware for .jed file? what the purpose of that?

15. Leang

will the TL866A programmer hardware work on this?

16. KaosEngineer

There are 2 different devices to program on the Aladdin XT plus 2 for the Aladdin_XBlast modification.

The TL866A is used to program the SST49LF080A with the XBlast OS (.bin file).

You also need a JTAG programmer to reprogram the CPLD (Lattice LC4032V) using files named with the SVF (Serial Vector Format) extension (.svf). The JTAG programmer connects to 6 pads on the right side of the modchip - 3 on the top side (3.3Vdc, TDO and TMS) and 3 on the bottom side (GND, TCK and TDI) of the PCB.

All of the instructions are in the archive and discussed in bennydiamond's first post in this thread.

The .jed files are JEDEC Programming Specification files -- the signal to pin designations and bit pattern written to the chip to implement the logic coded in the CPLD source code. I think some CPLD programmers use JED files instead of SVF. Depends on the JTAG programmer software used as to which file will be used to program the CPLD.

Originally JEDEC was Joint Electron(ic) Device Engineering Council but now known as JEDEC Solid State Technology Association. (www.jedec.org)

JEDEC is a global industry group that develops open standards for microelectronics.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    bennydiamond and Leang like this.
  17. Leang

• looking at the image I uploaded.
    • how do I wires these?

Attached Files:

18. bennydiamond

Correct.

For the flash chip, you just need to program the upper 256KB of the SST49LF080A to begin with, the rest will be used by hacked BIOS images you can then flash using XBlast OS. If you're not sure, you can mirror XBlast OS to 1MB and flash the entire chip it doesn't matter either way.

I only provided the SVF for Aladdin XBlast mod but it doesn't matter. The JED is basically the binary dump alone while the SVF is like a receipt for programming the CPLD. Running the SVF will check device ID, erase, program and verify against the embedded JED in the SVF. Lattice own tools as well as urJTAG can handle SVF just fine.

They are not used with Aladdin XBlast. Only wire required is d0 (1.0 - 1.5) or L1 (1.6 - 1.6b).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Leang likes this.
  19. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Noob question: Can I Install xblast os on an xecuter 3?

20. bennydiamond

Yes, as a standard BIOS or as backup. It will not control X3 banks like a full fledged OS but you'll have access to the tools XBlast OS offers. Note that if you install it in the Backup ROM space, you won't be able to save XBlast OS user settings (fan speed, led color, EEPROM backup, etc.) but it's not that big of an issue. It will work just as well there too.